• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Overlooked, underappreciated, magic items

Bryan898

First Post
Some of my favorite items to use are simple one use items:

I like potions like Greater Magic Weapon +X, Magic Vestment +X, Shield of Faith +X, they provide a handy boost for my NPCs without adding to much treasure to the PCs.

Elemental Gems, summon a large elemental for only 2,250 gp. Nice little help in those big combats, or a good helper for a lower level BBEG.

Quaal's Feather Token Whip, I love this thing at lower levels. :]

Stonesalve, handy for any adventurer. Use it to cure petrification, or if needed a quick use of stoneskin to keep you alive in that big combat.

Etherealness on armor, it seems expensive but the ability to get out of a very hairy situation once per day is pretty nice IMO.

Absorbing Shield. In 3.0 it was an instant kill with a touch attack (as sphere of annihilation), now it's a 17th level disintegration, thats a possible 34d6. :D

Mahali

Explorer
Figurine Marble Elephant.

I got one as treasure once and it was amazing. Nothing like summoning a HUGE 10th lvl fighter that flanks for everyone in the party.

Cedious

First Post
i have made good use out of scrolls of retreat and invis potions.....there allways handy as a backup incase the brown stuff hits the fan.

moritheil

First Post
What did the DM rule happened? An explosion? Not terribly realistic, but a pretty cool way to go. The alcohol shouldn't explode unless it was pretty well mixed with air . . . you should get a lot of fire, though.

Storyteller01 said:
Not quite in keeping with the thread, but what the hay...

Player (the drunk of the party) picked up a modified decanter of endless water: DM called it the flask of endless alcohol. It was a funny joke until on day the player stuck it on a wall, upside-down and open. Then he left a torch on the floor and walked out...

Ended the adveture rather abruptly.

Rkhet

First Post
Wand of Summon Monster IV. Summon a lamp archon. For 21000 gold you get fifty charges of something that'll heal you for 1d8+3 SEVEN TIMES before it goes away. Not to mention the +1 buff.

Diirk

First Post
Lantern archon ? It has an aura of menace, I don't see any +1 buff tho ? And the only thing close I see to a heal is aid, but thats only temporary hp which don't stack, and they'd fade as soon as the 7 rounds passed, too...

Did I miss something?

ARandomGod

First Post
Rkhet said:
Wand of Summon Monster IV. Summon a lamp archon. For 21000 gold you get fifty charges of something that'll heal you for 1d8+3 SEVEN TIMES before it goes away. Not to mention the +1 buff.

You had me all excited. But it doesn't *heal* you exactly. It can cast aid, which gives temp HP's. However that does give me a new place to look for legitimate arcane healing. Now, what reasonably summonable creature can actually *heal*?

Rkhet

First Post
Oh, you know what I mean. What's better, when you get Summon Monster VI you can get 1d4+1 (average 3.5) lantern archons for at least 11 rounds. That's ~288hp + 26/lvl - more healing (and versatility) than Heal, though slower.

Or how about using Lesser Planar Binding on one? Pay it 1000gp (1HD) to keep it around all week - definitely a bargain.

You want the actual spell Heal, you need Summon IX, netting a Leonal for a 100pt Heal plus 114pt Lay on Hand, plus some other assorted Cleric goodness. But that's way later, and not quite as twinkworthy.

Hmmm... wait. I have always assumed that if you are below full hitpoints and you gain temporary hitpoints, it automatically converts to healing - only counts as temporary hitpoints if you're already fully healed. Am I wrong on this?

Last edited:

Diirk

First Post
If you want temporary hp, false life is far better... lasts longer than 1 round/level and gives you more hp (effects from summoned critters disappear when the summoned critters do). Also takes a slot 2 levels lower.

(It just occurred to me the +1 buff he was referring to referred to the buff part of the aid spell ! duh !)

As far as healing from summoned critters... unicorns are good, but thats Summon Nature's Ally, unfortunately ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
ARandomGod said:
You had me all excited. But it doesn't *heal* you exactly. It can cast aid, which gives temp HP's. However that does give me a new place to look for legitimate arcane healing. Now, what reasonably summonable creature can actually *heal*?

Bralani, Summon Monster VI, Cure Serious Wounds 2/day.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads