Owen KC Stephens' Tabletop RPG Truths

Multi-award winning game designer Owen Stephens (Starfinder, Pathfinder, Star Wars) has been posting a series he calls #RealGameIndustry on social media.

starfinder.jpg

• Most TTRPG game company's art archives are not well indexed... Or indexed.
  • Yes, the RPG book could have had ONE more editing pass. There would still be errors, you'd still complain, it would cost more and take longer, and not sell any better. And people would download it for free illegally because "it's too expensive."
  • Tabletop RPG books are not overpriced. They are specialty technical creative writing social interaction manuals. At double the current prices, they would not be overpriced. This is why most TTRPG creators leave the industry. Along with constant fan harassment.
  • Quality, effort, marketing, and fan fervor cannot change this. Ever. That's not to knock, or praise, D&D. It's just a fact.
  • Impostor syndrome is hugely common in the TTRPG industry for two reasons. One: Studying and modifying RPGs often appeals to socially awkward shut ins who become broken professionals. Two: There's a sense that if you were a REAL professional you could afford a house, and insurance, and a retirement account, but that's not true for 99.9% of TTRPG professionals.
  • People who are passionate about making games for other people, people who are good at making games, and people who are good at the business of game sales and marketing don't overlap much in a Venn diagram. Most game company failures can be attributed to this.
  • A TTRPG professional with enough experience and credibility to criticize the industry as a whole is normally tied to one company so closely that the criticism is seen as biased, or unwilling to do it for free, or too naughty word tired to care anymore. Many are all 3.
  • If you are a TTRPG creative, you aren't paid enough. Thus, if you find people listening to you and apparently valuing your words you owe it to yourself to make sure they know there is an option to pay you for them. Also, I have a Patreon. https://patreon.com/OwenKCStephens
  • There are beloved, award-winning, renowned, well-known TTRPG books with total print runs of 2000 or fewer copies. That did not sell out.
  • Most RPG creators cannot afford the upper-tier of RPG accessories. Colossal dragons, scale sailing ships, and custom-built gaming tables are not for those of us who create the hobby. We are too poor to enjoy even a fraction of the things our creativity sparks.
  • The ability to master a game's rules has no correlation to the ability to write clear or interesting rules or adventures. Neither has any correlation to being able to produce 22,000 words of focused, usable content about a specific topic on a set deadline.
  • There are 65 people in the Origins Hall of Fame. Most fans can't name 5 of them. Most creators can't name 10. They are overwhelmingly (though not quite entirely) white men.
  • TTRPG companies generally have no interest in your ideas for products. They went to all the trouble of starting, or staying at, an RPG company to publish their ideas, even if they need you to write them. They certainly didn't stay for the money or respect.
  • Asking RPG freelancers to publicly call out a publisher is asking them to reduce their tiny chance of making enough money in RPGs to survive. Sometimes it's a moral imperative. But it's always painful and dangerous. It's more dangerous for women and minorities.
  • Occasionally, male game designers who do streams or vlogs or podcasts find themselves disconcerted receiving unsolicited commentary about their appearance. It happened to me. Or, in other words, they get a tiny taste of what women in every field face every day.
  • Freelancers aren't paid enough by game company employees and managers, who themselves aren't paid enough by their companies, which don't make enough from distributors and stores, that don't make enough from customers. This never improves. It can get worse.
  • Fantasy and scifi art has sexualized women for decades, so many pro artists assume that's what you want. Explaining otherwise takes more words that describing the art piece. I had to go with "No skin should be exposed except on the face." It was 75% effective.
  • Most RPG work is "work-for-hire," This includes most work I commission from freelancers myself. This means that, legally, the writer isn't the author. They have no rights to it. No royalties. No say in how (or if) it is used. It never reverts to them.
  • I have received 3 death threats in my 21+ RPG career. One for not listing the fans preferred length for the Executor SSD. One of having a male succubus (not an incubus, with that game system) drawn in a seductive pose. And one for being fat and on video streams.
  • Once, at Gen Con, a fan interrupted [Amanda Hamon] at the Paizo booth to ask her to point me out. She kindly did so. They came and asked me if I was the Starfinder boss. I pointed them back to Amanda, and noted she was my Managing Developer, and direct superior. I followed that by pointing out Lisa Stevens was an owner of Paizo but that I also worked for Nicole Lindroos and Miranda Russell at other companies, and that Lj Stephens was my project manager for my own company who kept me on schedule, The fan seemed upset.
  • I have been extraordinary lucky and well-treated in my RPG career. I love most of the companies and people I have worked with. It's just a harsh industry. This hashtag isn't intended as complaints. They're facts and alerts I wish I had gotten 20 years ago.

Sunsword

Adventurer
I'm sure Owen's statements are correct. My family owns a small chain of Comic & Game stores and we had an employee a few years ago that took 2 weeks off to fulfill some major freelance art project. She was only making $11 per art piece and we paid $10 an hour. I didn't bring it up because she seemed happy for the workd.

I wonder what someone who works on D&D at WotC makes per year?

willrali

Explorer
I'd be very much in favor of adopting a subscription-only model for electronic rpg content: put it in an app, and send it out like a streaming service for $10 a month or whatever. And I'd be very happy to pay 50% more for printed RPG books. Because even games I don't like are excellently produced and wonderful works of craft. RPGs, full of structured imagination, have had a huge impact on the popular culture; far outsized from the small amounts of money involved.

Tangentially, it's kind of gross that there are legions of pointless, makework six-figure managerial-class jobs out there, that exist so a powerful class can propagate itself. (Full disclosure, I made 'good choices' or what-the-hell-ever and I'm in that milieu.) Meanwhile, even in Australia, teachers and other essential workers are paid very mediocre indeed. 80k for full-time work in Australia ain't getting you very far. And people with actual talents are left to flounder, languish and stock shelves, because... screw them! Let's pay this MBA 200k instead. And no, this isn't some natural, god-given status quo springing from natural law and lobster hierarchies. It's a structure built on purpose.

This talk of 'life is about choices', 'don't complain' and blah blah blah just perpetuates this nonsense. Let's set aside for a minute that for the bottom half of society that scrapes by in quiet desperation, life is NOT about choices, it's about surviving each day's crisis. It's repugnant that in our stupendously corpulent and wasteful society, we can't find a way to help creatives improve the human condition without them relying on trust funds or rich husbands.

Okay, rant concluded.

EDIT: since you're here: Owen and James, I love your work. It's meaningfully impacted my life and I'm glad you're doing it.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
It's a structure built on purpose.

Exactly, in the old soviet union, there was the saying that you couldn't be a great scientist, be a great artist, precisely because those two careers did the best. Here in the west, it is the rich and religious that dominated, too bad there wasn't a 3rd way somewhere in between.

For example here, a teacher's starting salary is 17k, so a career where you have to have a degree, in which you can't afford to send your child to college.

willrali

Explorer
Exactly, in the old soviet union, there was the saying that you couldn't be a great scientist, be a great artist, precisely because those two careers did the best. Here in the west, it is the rich and religious that dominated, too bad there wasn't a 3rd way somewhere in between.

For example here, a teacher's starting salary is 17k, so a career where you have to have a degree, in which you can't afford to send your child to college.

Yes. For all its many problems, the soviet union produced a lot of incredible art and science. But I'm pretty sure there is a third way (maybe even a fourth or fifth or sixth), without needing to go the soviet route. It's the will that's lacking.

MGibster

Legend

Is that in the United States? I live in a poor state and the starting teacher's salary here is a minimum of $32,800 with a Bachelor's degree.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Yes. For all its many problems, the soviet union produced a lot of incredible art and science. But I'm pretty sure there is a third way (maybe even a fourth or fifth or sixth), without needing to go the soviet route. It's the will that's lacking.

No, people aren't willing to gird themselves to fight the entrenched power structure, but in some ways, it all comes back around to politics. In anything, RPG's, business, or politics; to be successful it can be distilled down to three essential elements:
1. Luck
2. Acumen
3. Creativity

Is that in the United States? I live in a poor state and the starting teacher's salary here is a minimum of $32,800 with a Bachelor's degree.

Which is national average, however you will notice that the 17k figure is part time amount that they try to hire teachers at. However, they have been dropping the education requirements here across the board for lots of fields, there are a lot of horror stories about doctors setting bones crooked, etc..

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
More than any other TTRPG person in the same position in the world.
Less than anyone with the same skills doing the same job for a video game or movie company of the same profile or size.

So - ballpark, what's the best a full time pen-and-paper RPG designer (not a developer/publisher/owner) salary would look like from a major publishing company? And if you can share that, what about for a full time artist (as rare as that may be)? And how does that compare to a like-person in the video game industry?

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s

My state only has a population of 4.4 million, but our median teacher income is 54k annually with a median state income of only 27k. To say teachers are underpaid in the ENTIRE U.S. is a drastically blown out of proportion proposition that is perpetuated in misrepresented media. My wife, in fact, is a teacher, and is quite appreciative of the pay for only working 175 days out of the year.

I think (as the article indicates) that pirating of content is the #1 cause/reason why it sucks to be in the industry. (Today)
I’ve never got a death threat for simply doing my job (especially given some of the stupid reasons for those threats). That, combined with low pay, would probably be enough to get me looking at another industry.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases