Owen KC Stephens' Tabletop RPG Truths

Multi-award winning game designer Owen Stephens (Starfinder, Pathfinder, Star Wars) has been posting a series he calls #RealGameIndustry on social media.

starfinder.jpg

• Most TTRPG game company's art archives are not well indexed... Or indexed.
  • Yes, the RPG book could have had ONE more editing pass. There would still be errors, you'd still complain, it would cost more and take longer, and not sell any better. And people would download it for free illegally because "it's too expensive."
  • Tabletop RPG books are not overpriced. They are specialty technical creative writing social interaction manuals. At double the current prices, they would not be overpriced. This is why most TTRPG creators leave the industry. Along with constant fan harassment.
  • Quality, effort, marketing, and fan fervor cannot change this. Ever. That's not to knock, or praise, D&D. It's just a fact.
  • Impostor syndrome is hugely common in the TTRPG industry for two reasons. One: Studying and modifying RPGs often appeals to socially awkward shut ins who become broken professionals. Two: There's a sense that if you were a REAL professional you could afford a house, and insurance, and a retirement account, but that's not true for 99.9% of TTRPG professionals.
  • People who are passionate about making games for other people, people who are good at making games, and people who are good at the business of game sales and marketing don't overlap much in a Venn diagram. Most game company failures can be attributed to this.
  • A TTRPG professional with enough experience and credibility to criticize the industry as a whole is normally tied to one company so closely that the criticism is seen as biased, or unwilling to do it for free, or too naughty word tired to care anymore. Many are all 3.
  • If you are a TTRPG creative, you aren't paid enough. Thus, if you find people listening to you and apparently valuing your words you owe it to yourself to make sure they know there is an option to pay you for them. Also, I have a Patreon. https://patreon.com/OwenKCStephens
  • There are beloved, award-winning, renowned, well-known TTRPG books with total print runs of 2000 or fewer copies. That did not sell out.
  • Most RPG creators cannot afford the upper-tier of RPG accessories. Colossal dragons, scale sailing ships, and custom-built gaming tables are not for those of us who create the hobby. We are too poor to enjoy even a fraction of the things our creativity sparks.
  • The ability to master a game's rules has no correlation to the ability to write clear or interesting rules or adventures. Neither has any correlation to being able to produce 22,000 words of focused, usable content about a specific topic on a set deadline.
  • There are 65 people in the Origins Hall of Fame. Most fans can't name 5 of them. Most creators can't name 10. They are overwhelmingly (though not quite entirely) white men.
  • TTRPG companies generally have no interest in your ideas for products. They went to all the trouble of starting, or staying at, an RPG company to publish their ideas, even if they need you to write them. They certainly didn't stay for the money or respect.
  • Asking RPG freelancers to publicly call out a publisher is asking them to reduce their tiny chance of making enough money in RPGs to survive. Sometimes it's a moral imperative. But it's always painful and dangerous. It's more dangerous for women and minorities.
  • Occasionally, male game designers who do streams or vlogs or podcasts find themselves disconcerted receiving unsolicited commentary about their appearance. It happened to me. Or, in other words, they get a tiny taste of what women in every field face every day.
  • Freelancers aren't paid enough by game company employees and managers, who themselves aren't paid enough by their companies, which don't make enough from distributors and stores, that don't make enough from customers. This never improves. It can get worse.
  • Fantasy and scifi art has sexualized women for decades, so many pro artists assume that's what you want. Explaining otherwise takes more words that describing the art piece. I had to go with "No skin should be exposed except on the face." It was 75% effective.
  • Most RPG work is "work-for-hire," This includes most work I commission from freelancers myself. This means that, legally, the writer isn't the author. They have no rights to it. No royalties. No say in how (or if) it is used. It never reverts to them.
  • I have received 3 death threats in my 21+ RPG career. One for not listing the fans preferred length for the Executor SSD. One of having a male succubus (not an incubus, with that game system) drawn in a seductive pose. And one for being fat and on video streams.
  • Once, at Gen Con, a fan interrupted [Amanda Hamon] at the Paizo booth to ask her to point me out. She kindly did so. They came and asked me if I was the Starfinder boss. I pointed them back to Amanda, and noted she was my Managing Developer, and direct superior. I followed that by pointing out Lisa Stevens was an owner of Paizo but that I also worked for Nicole Lindroos and Miranda Russell at other companies, and that Lj Stephens was my project manager for my own company who kept me on schedule, The fan seemed upset.
  • I have been extraordinary lucky and well-treated in my RPG career. I love most of the companies and people I have worked with. It's just a harsh industry. This hashtag isn't intended as complaints. They're facts and alerts I wish I had gotten 20 years ago.

On a more practical note, Owen mentioned he wished he had solutions. Do you see any way to make things better for talent in the industry? An RPG Designers Guild, perhaps?

I have been pushing for GAMA to recreate itself as an industry organization not just a manufacturer and retailer organization for fifteen or twenty years, so they would include creators in the voting membership. Recast like that, with a code of conduct for all members and a grievance committee with some teeth, GAMA could play a role in bettering general conditions. More education about contracts and options for publishing. Realistic attitudes about returns for work and working conditions.

The root problems are things like the global economic model for entertainment and the way in which intellectual property (IP) is ending up concentrated with operations that do not share the wealth they generate. Even something like universal healthcare in the United States could change things immensely for creators, as well as small and medium-sized publishers. But none of this is easy to solve, particularly in the US.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I have been pushing for GAMA to recreate itself as an industry organization not just a manufacturer and retailer organization for fifteen or twenty years, so they would include creators in the voting membership. Recast like that, with a code of conduct for all members and a grievance committee with some teeth, GAMA could play a role in bettering general conditions.

If the same organization represents both sides of an issue or dispute, you are setting yourself up for abuse of bias for one side or the other.

TheSword

Legend
Is this predominantly an American problem or do other countries suffer the same? Cubicle 7 is in Ireland I believe, are their other major non-American ttrpg publishing companies?

Is this predominantly an American problem or do other countries suffer the same? Cubicle 7 is in Ireland I believe, are their other major non-American ttrpg publishing companies?

Several, depending on your definition of "major." Mongoose and Pelgrane leap immediately to mind. But even if I had direct knowledge of their situations, I wouldn't call out a specific company without their approval.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Several, depending on your definition of "major." Mongoose and Pelgrane leap immediately to mind. But even if I had direct knowledge of their situations, I wouldn't call out a specific company without their approval.
Modiphius, primarily - they're probably third after WOtC and Paizo; them and Cubicle 7 are probably the two biggest UK companies (though C7 moved to Ireland last year, so I guess it's no longer UK). Then I suppose it's Pelgrane and Mongoose, I think? Then there's the Swedes (especially Free League) who are doing very well.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
When I win Powerball and start my own RPG company (so I can afford to spend $2 million to make $1 million), I'm hiring you to change the industry. :)

It's a funny meme, but you can make a profit making RPGs. Not the profit you can make producing boardgames, or video games, or, I dunno, tea-towels, but you don't have to lose money.

mcmillan

Adventurer

For what it's worth, Cat Tobin, a co-owner of Pelgrane Press, retweeted part of Owen Stephan' thread with the comment:
https://twitter.com/CatTHM/status/1270800924416577539 said:
If you haven't been reading @Owen_Stephens's statements about the #TTRPG industry on the #RealGameIndustry thread, let me tell you they are all 100% accurate, make for damned uncomfortable reading, and contain essential lessons for anyone aspiring to work in the #RPGindustry.

If the same organization represents both sides of an issue or dispute, you are setting yourself up for abuse of bias for one side or the other.

Great point. That is a serious concern, especially if all parties do not buy into the process or if the organization does not have a clear code of conduct, which would help guide resolution for some issues. The current model for these types of GriefComs are organizations such as SFWA and HWA, and those models are of very limited use, in my experience. The writers organizations do not want to piss off important editors or publishers, because that could cost people work, so they can be reluctant to act against them. They can also settle for "victories" that do not resolve the real problem, because it makes for good PR. (On the latter, see SFWA's role in the Dragon CD Rom author skirmish with WotC.) These committees can do good work, but their range is limited.

If an organization includes both the publishers and the creators, there's at least a chance a GriefCom could be used in good faith by both parties to resolve issues. Or it could lead to fistfights at the GriefCom meetings. We'd have to see how that plays out in practice, but I think it's worth trying.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

All the larger and mid-sized companies and many of the small and indie houses deal with creators all over the world. (Chaosium has line editors in the US, UK, Germany, Australia, with creative contributors even more scattered.) Some issues, such as healthcare, are major problems for American creators and companies, but they impact all tabletop publishers to some extent.

Cheers,
Jim Lowder

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases