• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Pact of the Blade weapon question

Mergon

First Post
I have a question concerning the weapon created by a warlock's Pact of the Blade class feature. What I want to know, and haven't not even been able to find being discusses, is this: When you created a weapon, say a rapier, what can it be made of? Can it be made of silver, cold-iron, adamantine, etc. I've looked and I've looked and found a ton of infor on other topics about the Pact of the Blade and it weapon, but nothing about what the weapon can be crafted from.

feartheminotaur

First Post
My ruling would be any weapon off the shelf - that is, anything in the chart on page whatever in Ch 5 of the PHB (including silvered, since they are mentioned), not something out of the DMG (or elsewhere). The feature description says "see Chapter 5 for weapon options", so if it isn't in chapter 5...it's not an option.

Mergon

First Post
My ruling would be any weapon off the shelf - that is, anything in the chart on page whatever in Ch 5 of the PHB (including silvered, since they are mentioned), not something out of the DMG (or elsewhere). The feature description says "see Chapter 5 for weapon options", so if it isn't in chapter 5...it's not an option.

Thanks for the reference to Chapter 5. You're ruling is pretty much what I have been using to date. I was just trying to find any official ruling with reference to mithril and adamantine weapons. Also wooden weapons for when fighting vampires, like a wooden stake which would normally be considered an improvised weapon.

Are mithril and/or adamantine weapons considered magic items? If so, you can turn an existing one into your pact blade. I believe that would be the only way to do it.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Word up. It even goes so far as to describe it as a magic weapon in terms of damage resistances...
Which means, given how the system works, that there is no mechanical purpose to saying the pact weapon is or isn't made of some specific material like silver or adamantine.

So yeah, it's made of magic and it can be any weapon you want it to be - and look however you want it to look while doing so, whether that is like it is made of adamantine, mithril, glass, surprisingly hard and sharp living wood with foliage that shows the seasons, or just "it's blue energy stuff."

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
I hope you give it a bit more pizazz though. You guys all make it sounds like .. cold and mechanical. Basalt, My Earth Genasi Warlock (Fiend) who is Pact of the Blade has a War Pick that appears to be made out of Rock with sharp pointed edges.. but has an unfininished look. (He has unknowingly made a deal with Ogremoch and we are playing in Princes ). As a side issue he is also an Anti Paladin (again powers given by Ogremoch) and when he uses divine smite the weapon bleeds acid (instead of radiant).

trentonjoe

Explorer
I had a warlock's weapon be made out of dragon claw. It was no different mechanically from a regular old great axe but it looked cool.

Mercule

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure that it's made of magic.
This. I assumed it was obviously unearthly -- which is pretty much how the side bar describes it. It always seemed a bit of a let down to bind to a magic weapon which would appear so, well, plain in comparison. Regardless, it's explicitly magical for overcoming DR, so describe it as silver, cold iron, whatever, if you want.

Remove ads