D&D 5E Pact of The Chain Change Ideas

ccooke

Adventurer
I think you are underestimating the value you can get from PotC. All but one of the additional familiars have at-will invisibility and they are able to take the Attack action. There are a large number of spells that can take advantage of that (The pseudodragon has some interesting telepathic abilities that support a few different playstyles, of which I will not say more because it might give some of my players too much insight into an NPC :-D)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yes. 7hp instead of 2hp. Soooo much beefier.

The imp is the beefiest at 10hp and resistance to nonmagical damage. So, a good cantrip or a couple hits. It can take a blow, but it's not tanking any time soon.

That aside, what's your proposed change? How have you houseruled and homebrewed the Pact of the Chain working?
Who said anything about tanking? Please stick to things I actually claimed. I won’t continue to engage if you keep veering off into random stuff no one said.

even the pseudo dragon has a chance to survive hits. Again, if you don’t see the difference between chance to survive and no chance to survive (or apparently, tanking), I don’t know what to tell you.

As for houserules, I have so far avoided houseruling the familiars heavily by simply either waiving the gold and time cost to bring them back, avoiding killing them, and allowing a wider range of familiar.

But the next time I have a warlock who is interested in the chain, but is tempted to just go tome and get a normal familiar via ritual instead, I will offer them essentially a Beast of The Air instead, with some light modification to make it more magical in feel.

Really.
You've seen hundreds of warlocks who just took tome? Given <10% of players pick warlock you've seen thousands of player characters and can remember all their character choices?
Vastly more players than 10% go warlock in games I’ve seen or been part of or otherwise interacted with. That’s the thing about stats, they rarely look like the total average in a given slice of the data set.

No, it's non-static design. That's not bad, it's just a change.
How you use 1st level spell slots changes dramatically from tier 1 to to tier 3. That doesn't make the spellcasting system bad.
Ugh. No.

Remove ads