• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Pages from the PHB

Cybit

First Post
I never said I wanted to ban anything. I said I didn't like something big difference.

I have been running a weekly 5e game using the playtest rules for over a year now, I already have plans to run the Tyranny of Dragons series when that comes out. I can be a fan of the new edition, and still speak my mind about what I don't like about it. You don't have to drink the kool-aid and think Mearls walks on water, some of the stuff in 5e will be crap, I just voiced my opinion on how I was disappointed that the first real peak at the PHB has horrible art for the warlock and the wild magic chart makes me sad to the point I already have to tell my players "No" when they ask to play a wild mage.

FWIW, if you are enjoying the playtest, I am very confident you will enjoy the final version. :)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Paraxis said:
I just voiced my opinion on how I was disappointed that the first real peak at the PHB has horrible art for the warlock and the wild magic chart makes me sad to the point I already have to tell my players "No" when they ask to play a wild mage.

It's OK, man, you can say "no" to things that will make your game less fun, D&D expects you to.

Cyberen

First Post
Is it ridiculous to suspect this "preview" is maybe a fake ? I mean, with "random table", "wild magic", "modrons", "flumpf", "reincarnate", "opposite alignment", they hit A LOT of Old School Favourites in one go. As editing is poor (misspelling, numbers,...), could it be some kind of prank ?

Agamon

Adventurer
You don't have to drink the kool-aid and think Mearls walks on water, some of the stuff in 5e will be crap, I just voiced my opinion on how I was disappointed that the first real peak at the PHB has horrible art for the warlock and the wild magic chart makes me sad to the point I already have to tell my players "No" when they ask to play a wild mage.

Telling your players they can't use something is banning it from play. There's nothing wrong with that, just stating that there is no distinction.

Being a rabid fanboy is not cool, agreed. The other side of the coin is pointlessly complaining about something. Stating something isn't your cup of tea is one thing. But going on and on about what should be core and what shouldn't doesn't help anyone at this point.

The smartest thing to do is accept that with a product made for general consumption, especially one with a lot of moving parts like an RPG, not every last part of it is going to suit your needs. Come up with a plan (there have been a number of good suggestions here) and move forward instead of stare longingly backwards.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Is it ridiculous to suspect this "preview" is maybe a fake ? I mean, with "random table", "wild magic", "modrons", "flumpf", "reincarnate", "opposite alignment", they hit A LOT of Old School Favourites in one go. As editing is poor (misspelling, numbers,...), could it be some kind of prank ?

Extremely doubtful.

Paraxis

Explorer
Telling your players they can't use something is banning it from play. There's nothing wrong with that, just stating that there is no distinction.

Being a rabid fanboy is not cool, agreed. The other side of the coin is pointlessly complaining about something. Stating something isn't your cup of tea is one thing. But going on and on about what should be core and what shouldn't doesn't help anyone at this point.

The smartest thing to do is accept that with a product made for general consumption, especially one with a lot of moving parts like an RPG, not every last part of it is going to suit your needs. Come up with a plan (there have been a number of good suggestions here) and move forward instead of stare longingly backwards.

Pretty sure healthy debate and free expression of opinion is what attracts people to internet forums like this one.

I only went on about anything, in response to ALL the negative posts against what I had to say, when I express my personal opinion and people dog pile on it is natural to defend myself. If you notice almost every one of my posts after the first was in response to someone, just like this one. So why is it on me to let it go, when there is a group of people you among them that don't seem to want to let me.

Agamon

Adventurer
Pretty sure healthy debate and free expression of opinion is what attracts people to internet forums like this one.

I'm not trying to be a debate nazi, I'm just saying there's a better approach. That's those words I wrote under the stuff you bolded.

"This is what I don't like, boo!" will indeed get negative responses. "This is what I don't like, and this is what I'm going to do about it (or, what should I do about it?)" gets more a positive debate going. Nothing wrong with a healthy debate, but stating that something shouldn't be and leaving it at that isn't the best start to a healthy debate.

Cybit

First Post

I can confirm it is not a fake.

As much as people keep repeating this lie, it doesn't become truth. The CORE BOOKS are PHB, MM, & DMG always have been and so far nothing WoTC has said counters that.

The Basic Game pdf, is just a lost leader something to get people in the door to pay for the real rules. Once November comes around it will be something pointless only people who can't afford the real rules, or new players will care about.

I'm hearing you say that the grognards who want the Basic rules and nothing else don't exist, or will "upgrade" to the PHB once it comes out. Is this correct?

Remove ads