• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Pages from the PHB

tuxgeo

Adventurer
The Basic Game pdf, is just a lost leader something to get people in the door to pay for the real rules. Once November comes around it will be something pointless only people who can't afford the real rules, or new players will care about.

I disagree. There are people who post to EN World who prefer a very Old School approach, wherein they only play with simple characters of the core four races, in the core four classes. Those people will prefer the Basic Game, and will play it in preference to using the PHB, MM, and DMG.

I disagree. There are people who post to EN World who prefer a very Old School approach, wherein they only play with simple characters of the core four races, in the core four classes. Those people will prefer the Basic Game, and will play it in preference to using the PHB, MM, and DMG.

Pretty sure most of them will actually keep playing whichever OSR/Retro-Clone they currently use, if they really like old-school, actually.

Cybit

First Post
Yes. And so do many thousands of other gamers. Hundreds of thousands, I would imagine. That makes for many, many different desires to be met. They *cannot* give you just your game in print, and at the same time give Sam over there just his game. The two of you will have to compromise - your game will have some extra stuff, and his will be missing a few things, and so on. So, whatever you may want, you have to consider what is a reasonable expectation.

From the very beginning, they've been selling this as an edition where they expect you to take things out and put other things in. Your personal feeling that if you have to edit the contents it is a failure of the system is in direct conflict with the stated design goals, of which they've made no secret whatsoever.

Spot on. One of the big "breakthroughs" in 5E is the assumption that all games have house rules. Rather than having a group start with the core rules, and then create house rules as needed, the system goes "Hey! You're going to want to use some rules based on your group, and not use others. Here's the rules, and multiple options for each one in case you don't like our base rules. Go talk to your group about what you do or do not want to do, and then start playing!"

Now for games like the one I run, where the players are younger and don't care about "options", you have a base set of rules to play with and roll with. But for more experienced gamers, they want groups to openly have that communication before the game, establish a vibe, and then move forward.

Paraxis

Explorer
The best way for me to explain this w/o getting in trouble is probably this:

There are no more core rulebooks. The core rulebook is Basic D&D.

I do not think it has fully hit home the extent of what Basic D&D is. Let me try to be clear; every adventure, parts of each book, etc, are all intended to assume that the players do not have a PH, or a DMG, or a MM. Now, I'm sure there will be future add-ons that give options to classes found only in the PHB. But Basic D&D is intended to be the core book. The PH gives players more options to play with, as well as contains much of Basic D&D I imagine (for those who like paper copies). The MM contains more monsters. The DMG will contain more options for the DMG.

But the game? The game is free.

Maybe if you see the words written by Mike Mearls you can understand the truth.

Bolding: Because of the staggered release schedule there have been some concerns over both home and organized play, and whether or not people will have enough material to start playing their weekly campaign right off in the new edition and carry them all the way through release. What would you say to people concerned about that?

Mearls: I would say that's definitely where Basic D&D comes in. When the Starter Set launches it's going to cover character creation. Once the Player's Handbook launches we'll update it. [Basic D&D] is going to be a updated a few times when it first launches. With basic D&D you'll have the core monsters, magic items, all the rules for creating adventures, for Dungeon Master guidelines, for balancing encounters, for treasure, treasure tables, encounter tables. This is literally the process I used to outline it: I took the old basic set from 1981 and just the rules in there, the magic items, if it's in there it's in the basic set - except a few things that people don't see as iconic anymore. For monsters, we just went through and said "What are the typical fantasy monsters like Orc, or Ogre?" with a few adjustments for power level in there so there's a nice curve. In theory, with basic D&D, you could run an entire campaign. The core rulebooks could be expansions to that. The core rulebooks are like Advanced D&D.

So if Mearls is calling them the core rulebooks, why when I do it does it ruffle so many peoples jimmies?

Dausuul

Legend
As much as people keep repeating this lie, it doesn't become truth. The CORE BOOKS are PHB, MM, & DMG always have been and so far nothing WoTC has said counters that.

The Basic Game pdf, is just a lost leader something to get people in the door to pay for the real rules. Once November comes around it will be something pointless only people who can't afford the real rules, or new players will care about.
Fine. Then if we're banning stuff we don't like from the PHB, you can say goodbye to elves and dwarves, 'cause I hate 'em. Why should I have to impose house rules just so other people can have lame unimaginative Tolkien rip-offs in their game?

The PHB is going to contain a bunch of stuff. The more stuff it contains, the more likely it is that some of it is stuff I don't like. That's the price of having a good supply of stuff I do like. If I feel strongly enough about the stuff I don't like, I'll ban it. If not, I'll live with it.

Cybit

First Post
Maybe if you see the words written by Mike Mearls you can understand the truth.

Bolding: Because of the staggered release schedule there have been some concerns over both home and organized play, and whether or not people will have enough material to start playing their weekly campaign right off in the new edition and carry them all the way through release. What would you say to people concerned about that?

Mearls: I would say that's definitely where Basic D&D comes in. When the Starter Set launches it's going to cover character creation. Once the Player's Handbook launches we'll update it. [Basic D&D] is going to be a updated a few times when it first launches. With basic D&D you'll have the core monsters, magic items, all the rules for creating adventures, for Dungeon Master guidelines, for balancing encounters, for treasure, treasure tables, encounter tables. This is literally the process I used to outline it: I took the old basic set from 1981 and just the rules in there, the magic items, if it's in there it's in the basic set - except a few things that people don't see as iconic anymore. For monsters, we just went through and said "What are the typical fantasy monsters like Orc, or Ogre?" with a few adjustments for power level in there so there's a nice curve. In theory, with basic D&D, you could run an entire campaign. The core rulebooks could be expansions to that. The core rulebooks are like Advanced D&D.

So if Mearls is calling them the core rulebooks, why when I do it does it ruffle so many peoples jimmies?

He's calling them the "core rulebooks" so people understand that the PHB, DMG, and MM are expansions to the core game.

To me, the "core rulebooks" are those that are required to run the game. Per Mearls' exact quote; you do not need the PHB, the DMG, or the MM to run the game. I wouldn't call books that are not necessary to run the game "core rulebooks".

Assuming they keep the core rules on ability checks and such in Basic D&D; you won't need the PH, DMG, or MM to run games. To me, at that point, they are no longer core rulebooks.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
As much as people keep repeating this lie, it doesn't become truth. The CORE BOOKS are PHB, MM, & DMG always have been and so far nothing WoTC has said counters that.

What about this:
Mearls said:
Basic D&D is a PDF that covers the core of the game.

Or this:
Mearls said:
Want more character options? Pick up a Player’s Handbook. Looking for more critters for your campaign? The Monster Manual has you covered. Want to sculpt a unique campaign? Pick up the Dungeon Master’s Guide. Still, Basic D&D is the true heart of the game and could easily provide a lifetime of gaming.

Or this:
Mearls said:
Basic D&D will be a complete RPG

Or this:
Rodney said:
Basic Dungeons & Dragons is going to be a downloadable file that contains the core rules of the game, along with character creation rules and, eventually, monsters, magic items, and guidelines DMs need to make adventures. That will allow you to build characters, plan adventures, and play all the way up through 20th level. Basic D&D provides a traditional D&D experience that will allow you to play any adventure—including those in the Starter Set—using only this file.

Paraxis said:

Given the above, I have no cause to believe this will be the case.

Last edited:

Paraxis

Explorer
Fine. Then if we're banning stuff we don't like from the PHB, you can say goodbye to elves and dwarves, 'cause I hate 'em. Why should I have to impose house rules just so other people can have lame unimaginative Tolkien rip-offs in their game?

The PHB is going to contain a bunch of stuff. The more stuff it contains, the more likely it is that some of it is stuff I don't like. That's the price of having a good supply of stuff I do like. If I feel strongly enough about the stuff I don't like, I'll ban it. If not, I'll live with it.

I never said I wanted to ban anything. I said I didn't like something big difference.

I have been running a weekly 5e game using the playtest rules for over a year now, I already have plans to run the Tyranny of Dragons series when that comes out. I can be a fan of the new edition, and still speak my mind about what I don't like about it. You don't have to drink the kool-aid and think Mearls walks on water, some of the stuff in 5e will be crap, I just voiced my opinion on how I was disappointed that the first real peak at the PHB has horrible art for the warlock and the wild magic chart makes me sad to the point I already have to tell my players "No" when they ask to play a wild mage.

sidonunspa

First Post

let go of your hate.... it will only lead you to dark places...

the basic rules are their to give you a foundation, the combat rules and the system rules are the same as the PHB rules....

PHB reprints and expands upon them...

D&D 5e is a toolkit, you, the game master, gets to choose what is in and what is out... pure and simple.

The game is not "broken" because you don't want to use a class or an optional rule...

In my old home game, Sorcerers where not a PC class, they where actively hunted and killed and had a tendency to go mad... did 3e fail me? nope...

in all honesty you are complaining for the sake of complaining...

please I don't want options! but I never wanted X or Y... why are you giving me it?

because you may not want it, 1 person might... why is your option more powerful then someone else? why must your game be the way to play?

it's your game...

create a one page sheet and hand it to all your players showing what classes/option are out of your game.

sidonunspa

First Post
I never said I wanted to ban anything. I said I didn't like something big difference.

I have been running a weekly 5e game using the playtest rules for over a year now, I already have plans to run the Tyranny of Dragons series when that comes out. I can be a fan of the new edition, and still speak my mind about what I don't like about it. You don't have to drink the kool-aid and think Mearls walks on water, some of the stuff in 5e will be crap, I just voiced my opinion on how I was disappointed that the first real peak at the PHB has horrible art for the warlock and the wild magic chart makes me sad to the point I already have to tell my players "No" when they ask to play a wild mage.

why do you need to say NO to wild mages? because they are too silly to you?

I looked at it and thought, wow I can play one hell of a "mad man" wizard... the kind that is "just not their", always mumbling to himself, once in a wile will look at a bird and say "I had feathers once"

so much potential.... I can play one heck of a "dark" wild mage (you don't understand the chaos of the universe! the ebb and flow! I see the pathways.. don't you? you are blind to the beautiful randomness of the universe! tie yourself to ritual and tradition, I allow my mind to think freely!)

Any player worth his salt can make a wild mage fit into a dark, brooding, party

Remove ads