Pages From The Upcoming Nautical D&D Book!

These screencaps were posted by GM Leigh (of Mage Productions) on Twitter after being showed on WotC's Twitch stream, presented by Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart. Note the old Saltmarsh trilogy references!

These screencaps were posted by GM Leigh (of Mage Productions) on Twitter after being showed on WotC's Twitch stream, presented by Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart. Note the old Saltmarsh trilogy references!

1.jpg
2.jpg

dave2008

Legend
Question for those that have it: how where the pages in "Tales of the Yawning Portal" numbered? Did each adventure start a page 1 or was the whole thing number sequentially?

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
Question for those that have it: how where the pages in "Tales of the Yawning Portal" numbered? Did each adventure start a page 1 or was the whole thing number sequentially?

It was numbered sequentially. I think the pages from the preview havnt been merge yet with the rest of the chapters in the full book hence the numbering or the chapter was extracted and has its own numbering.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It was numbered sequentially. I think the pages from the preview havnt been merge yet with the rest of the chapters in the full book hence the numbering or the chapter was extracted and has its own numbering.

That, and they probably know folks like us will obsess over details, so they wouldn't want to necessarily let us in on too much

Ravnica was overseen and edited by Crawford: he put real work into it, and it contains significant game rule content, hard to see how it wouldn't count as an official D&D sourcebook release.
Two subclasses and four races is hardly “significant”.
It had a lot of monsters but so did the other planeshift books. And it was really aimed at the MtG audience more than D&D.

It was a nice bonus product, but I don’t count it as one of the regularly scheduled D&D releases.

Given that WotC is talking about 4 books being the likely future direction, "bonus" might not be accurate either. It was released after two adventure books, and before possibly another two: hence, not four adventure sequentially without a break.
Citation?
We’ll see. Maybe we’ll get another Ravnica type book. But maybe it will just be another Eberron type PDF. Or maybe they were talking about the AI book…

I hope they don’t plan on having three fall releases all the time. That didn’t seem to help sales or interest in Dungeon of the Mad Mage. There was a lot of competition for sales this past winter.
And, really, now is the time they should be slowing the release schedule, not ramping it up. Many gamers are close to saturation.

It also remains to be seen what exactly this book is: it has some material from the U modules, but the way they were talking sight there might be new rules material as well, so a new hybrid experiment perhaps.
If it were going to have lots of new rules elements, we’d probably have seen Unearthed Arcana articles.
I expect ship combat and adventure, but little else in terms of new rules. (This doesn’t feel like the place for the sidekick rules.)

The Acquisitions InC book is being sold on D&D Beyond for rules material
Matt Mercer’s Blood Hunter is also on D&D Beyond, but that’s not official.

It’s licensed (like the video games) but it’s still not being published by WotC.
Also, I don’t see it in the D&D Beyond website. Where did they say it would be available there?

Hussar

Legend
Cool. Of all the "classic" modules, I've never so much as seen the U series. Would be loads of fun to give it a whirl.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So the events in the first image are on the page 22 and 23 in the original, the wording has been updated and it seems they have renamed and updated some stufff.

Second page stuff is on page 33 in the original. Some of the wording has been updated.

In the first page a room was renamed from Lieutenants Quarters in the original to Wave Shaper's Quarters in the new one. The description of the room and what's in it is also different.

Interesting, so this is a more significant adaptation than TftYP.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Two subclasses and four races is hardly “significant”.
It had a lot of monsters but so did the other planeshift books. And it was really aimed at the MtG audience more than D&D.

It was a nice bonus product, but I don’t count it as one of the regularly scheduled D&D releases.

Citation?
We’ll see. Maybe we’ll get another Ravnica type book. But maybe it will just be another Eberron type PDF. Or maybe they were talking about the AI book…

I hope they don’t plan on having three fall releases all the time. That didn’t seem to help sales or interest in Dungeon of the Mad Mage. There was a lot of competition for sales this past winter.
And, really, now is the time they should be slowing the release schedule, not ramping it up. Many gamers are close to saturation.

If it were going to have lots of new rules elements, we’d probably have seen Unearthed Arcana articles.
I expect ship combat and adventure, but little else in terms of new rules. (This doesn’t feel like the place for the sidekick rules.)

Matt Mercer’s Blood Hunter is also on D&D Beyond, but that’s not official.

It’s licensed (like the video games) but it’s still not being published by WotC.
Also, I don’t see it in the D&D Beyond website. Where did they say it would be available there?

Citation on the 3-4 books, leaning towards 4 in the future: Nate Stewart in the January Spoilers & Swag. He said they were pleased with the results of four books, but the timing needed work.

Adam Bradford (head D&D Beyond honcho) in the latest D&D Beyond Dev chat video (the one linked on the recent front page article here about the preponderance of PCs being low tier) mentioned the PA book as a product he could discuss, as it will be available on D&D Beyond for sale like the WotC books: he said they would like to do something similar with other third party books in the future, but this one is happening now because of the official licensed status and deal in place.

Guildmasters Guide is an officially branded D&D book released by WotC: it counts as what it is, an official D&D product. I've played a half dozen hand side Magic in my life, and as a D&D fan I feel it was aimed at me.

Last edited by a moderator:

D

DQDesign

IF it is not set in Forgotten Realms AND IF includes some setting material (also mini-setting would be sufficient) AND IF that setting material will be open for DMsGuild authors to develop, THEN I could consider buying this book.

D

DQDesign

Did you buy the Ravnica book after the same statement and it was opened on the DM guild for you to make money off of?
obviously it was not opened because of my statement. it was opened mostly to allow wotc to make more money off of it without any additional commitment. they did not even release support material for authors, differently from what they did in the past for Forgotten Realms, Eberron and Ravenloft.

Remove ads

Remove ads