Paizo News: Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous Hits One Million Copies Sold

Owlcat Games just announced that its CRPG Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous has reached a million copies sold over all of its platforms. Based on the Adventure Path of the same name, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is the indirect sequel to Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It launched in September of 2021 as a Kickstarter across a multitude of platforms (PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo...

Owlcat Games just announced that its CRPG Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous has reached a million copies sold over all of its platforms.

capsule_616x353.jpg

Based on the Adventure Path of the same name, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is the indirect sequel to Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It launched in September of 2021 as a Kickstarter across a multitude of platforms (PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch).

To commemorate the milestone, the company announced a special sale on Steam and GOG until January 26, 2023. In addition, the first premium DLC will be available on February 28, 2023 for PC, Playstation 4, and XBox One. The DLC for Nintendo Switch will be available at a later date. This DLC will feature a new companion as well as a new playable class: the ever changing shifter.

Alexander Mishulin, the Creative Director at Owlcat Games states that reaching this milestone is an important sign that the company is developing in the right direction. The company will continue to add more content through premium and free DLCs.

Dawn Dalton

Dawn Dalton

BovineofWar

Explorer
Question for someone who played Wrath of the Righteous:
Has the game got the same silly artifacts as Kingmaker? Camping (Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Camping Guide), Friendly Fire (spells), etc.
Camping is still there, although I don't think you need to camp in the field to advance any of the companion stories. Friendly fire is in, although I'm pretty sure you toggle it off in the difficulty settings.

Kingdom Management mode is very similar to Pathfinder. On top of that, there is a Heroes of Might and Magic style Crusade mode to deal with. Both are technically optional, although you can't get the secret ending and miss out on a lot of loot if you choose the auto management option.

My biggest issue is that I found the balance issues intrinsic to Pathfinder get very wonky at super high level (not to mention that CRPGs up the power level a little further for enemies compared to the equivalent in table top.) E.g. AC 75+ enemies are going to punish suboptimal strategy or less than perfect character builds (like you NPCs default builds!), even on Easy.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the game. But I consider it an imperfect gem, I'll forgive it a lot for how much it tries to do and some of the things it does pull off. The whole Midnight Isles arc is magical.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I've really enjoyed this game but if you're ever wondering how 3.5/Pathfinder breaks at higher levels, this is a great example. The computer handles everything of course, I don't know if I could do this as a human GM at the higher levels.

Tons of fun and strongly recommended, though.

Scribe

Legend
I've really enjoyed this game but if you're ever wondering how 3.5/Pathfinder breaks at higher levels, this is a great example. The computer handles everything of course, I don't know if I could do this as a human GM at the higher levels.

Tons of fun and strongly recommended, though.

With the mythic stuff attached as well, its for sure a mess. I play it on turn based, and I still have to scroll up some times when an attack triggers some weird chain of numbers to see what is happening.

It does indeed have a turn based mode.
And, indeed, is a good example of why RTWP is bad for a game of this type. It's simply too complex, and too many abilities are completely unusable outside of turn based mode. It only really worked in BG1 and 2 because in 2nd edition so many classes had nothing to do apart from repeatedly hack at the enemy. As a note, I think the Pillars of Eternity games now have turn based mode. I think it's significant that Owlcat's next game is turn based only.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Just to add that the second Pillars of Eternity game has a turn based mode. And I can't imagine playing Wrath in Real-time mode. It is far too complicated.

I've looked at the stuff they have put out about Rogue Trader, and it looks very much like a spiritual successor to Wrath of the Righteous, playing into the same dark fantasy tropes (This time: in space). I can see why they went with that, rather than Starfinder.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I was enjoying WoTR until I hit the second army battle thing and can’t seem to get past it and the individual portion is stuck until I get past that “road block” on the map. Both of the PF cRPG have been fun, owl cat did a great job on the games overall.

Remove ads

Remove ads