Pathfinder 2E Paizo Shares Color Covers Of Pathfinder Remaster

GM and Player Core hardcover art by Wayne Reynolds

At Paizocon today, Paizo revealed the final color covers of two of the upcoming remastered core rulebooks.

IMG_9208.jpeg

I enjoyed Wayne’s art in the 2008-2012ish time frame when he did magazine covers and PF. But kinda like some comic book artist I used to like, my enjoyment of his style ebbs right now. Having said that though my group always liked when I used his Dm screen PF iconics cause they liked looking at the classes/heroes.
I’m the same. I’ve grown weary of his style. I still think his artwork is great - just not for me anymore.

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
I will always be a WAR fan but I do feel like we could perhaps use some other styles in Pathfinder; give us some time to get nostalgic for him. Unfortunately I imagine a "realist phase" would be... expensive. Pathfinder, and D&D (though I am not up on its recent trends) has sort of been in "animation still" mode for a long time. Maybe the success of the D&D movie can help with that though, pushing artists to try something that evokes live action.

the disproportionately large lucerne hammer head on the gm core cover bothers me to no end. i mean, come on, it's so close to an actual lucerne hammer and then the head is too big. infuriating. incredibly nitpicky, and infuriating.

the disproportionately large lucerne hammer head on the gm core cover bothers me to no end. i mean, come on, it's so close to an actual lucerne hammer and then the head is too big. infuriating. incredibly nitpicky, and infuriating.

Real weapons don't look as impressive as people think they should, which is why people are always making them as ridiculous as they thought they would be.

I will always be a WAR fan but I do feel like we could perhaps use some other styles in Pathfinder; give us some time to get nostalgic for him. Unfortunately I imagine a "realist phase" would be... expensive. Pathfinder, and D&D (though I am not up on its recent trends) has sort of been in "animation still" mode for a long time. Maybe the success of the D&D movie can help with that though, pushing artists to try something that evokes live action.
I can’t speak for all of D&D, but WotC 5e for the most part has not been anything close to anime. There is some of it, but most of it is not. There is a range.

stadi

Explorer
One of the reasons I've never gotten into Pathfinder is the artstyle. For some reason I profoundly dislike those covers and character art. It mostly has to do with those strange looking weapons, anime like long-eared elves and the way the goblins look. The GM Core looks much better than I've seen for Pathfinder, but the Player Core unfortunately has the same art style.

Bagpuss

Legend
I actually loathe that "red dragon" head. The horns look weird to me, and I am not thrilled by how its mouth opens either. Most of the other things about it, other than maybe Harsk's face, look good though.

It looks like it doesn't have any width to it jaw, and the teeth look like spikes attached to skin rather than teeth, embedded in bone.

Remove ads

Remove ads