Paizo To Make Kingmaker Bestiary... For D&D 5E!

Kingmaker's 10th anniversary is approaching. Paizo has announced on their blog that, along with a Pathfinder 2E hardcover Kingmaker compilation, they will be creating a hardcover Kingmaker Bestiary for D&D 5E.

Kingmaker's 10th anniversary is approaching. Paizo has announced on their blog that, along with a Pathfinder 2E hardcover Kingmaker compilation, they will be creating a hardcover Kingmaker Bestiary for D&D 5E.

20190502-Kingmaker_500.jpg

The blog announcement says "[FONT=&amp]Finally, we'll add a hardcover Kingmaker Bestiary for 5E, developed in conjunction with industry leaders in third-party 5E publishing, allowing players of the current edition of the world's oldest RPG the chance to experience the rich and detailed storylines that have made the Kingmaker Adventure Path a fan favorite for a decade."[/FONT]

It is being produced "with industry leaders in third-party 5E publishing" and refers to "add-ons and unlocks" which "will be revealed as the campaign progresses". They're partnering with crowdfunding site Game On Tabletop.

They'll be revealing the details on Tuesday May 7th at noon Pacific time over at KingmakerCampaign.com.

Also in line is a Companion Guide for the PF2 Kingmaker campaign.

Jharet

Explorer
Because other gamers getting something nice is always a slap in the face. It's a bloody bestiary—the actual AP is still PF!

Yes. The AP has been out of print. Pathfinder players actually want to play it. Not everyone likes to use PDfs and would like a collected edition of something out of print. Shouldn't be that hard for you to understand.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Yes. The AP has been out of print. Pathfinder players actually want to play it. Not everyone likes to use PDfs and would like a collected edition of something out of print. Shouldn't be that hard for you to understand.
PF players WILL be able to play it. If you're so fussed about it being PF2 instead of PF1, I hate to break it to you but it makes no sense to support the defunct edition when you're rolling out a new edition. Sorry, just reality. Taking it personally isn't going to hellp you. Taking umbrage that the 5e community is getting a bestiary that they'll have to buy on top of the collectors edition isnn't going to win you any sympathy. And considering a support product for a different system as a slap in the face is just childish.

But, hey, you do have those pdfs for PF1—even if you don't like to use, they're still there. You just choose not to use them. But, hey, you can just use them for the moster and NPC stats while running the hardback adventure—you'll be on the same footing as 5e players with the bestiary.

Jharet

Explorer
Thanks for trying to provoke me. I don't have a problem with 5e or the community. It just doesn't interest me, nor the revisionist history surrounding its recent rise in popularity. Glad I could enlighten your days.

S'mon

Legend
Thinking about this - I have Kingmaker 1-3 & 5 (since I heard #4 is not great and #5 seems a better capstone than #6) but would never run them in 5e. And realistically I WILL buy this 5e Kingmaker hardback, assuming it has that great Paizo art, to help me do what I was always going to do one day - run KM in 5e.

I don't really understand how they can fill even one hardback with AP stat blocks, but I'm really curious to find out!

CapnZapp

Legend
Furthermore, a lot of these lessons have already been taken to heart by the OSR market
Sorry I don't understand why bringing up this (or that 4E has solved a particular problem) is relevant.

The game that matters is 5E. And, just possibly if Paizo plays their cards right, Pathfinder 2.

Also, like others have already said, I don't think that the bulk of 5E players are aware of or care about LFQW.
This is not the argument you think it is.

(Of course they don't, they're playing a game where it is fixed!

If they were to switch to 3.5 say they would very much become very aware and start to care very quickly!)

CapnZapp

Legend
Conversely, if PF2 is too similar to 5E, then why should gamers bother with it either? Because it would remain substantially easier for gamers to stay with playing proper 5E alongside their friends than abandoning ship to play a "5E Heartbreaker." Even as large as 5E is, I don't think that the 5E crunch gap is particularly wide enough for Paizo to establish itself as a company. I think that you overestimate the demand for what you want from "High Crunch 5E."
What do you consider is Pathfinder 2s niche then? They aren't making the game because people need to play a game named Pathfinder after all...

What I'm wondering is if you see a larger niche elsewhere? (If you don't, meaning Paizo is doomed regardless that's fair enough)

I'm not saying PF2 should or need to be too similar to 5E. I'm saying 5E brings certain concepts to the table that PF2 would do well to not go back on.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Let's get one thing straight. 5e is only popular because of Stranger Things and the Critical Role folks. The game is not pulling in new players without that exposure. If Stranger Things pretended there was a Pathfinder in 1983, we wouldn't be talking about Pathfinder second edition at all and D and D would be on sixth edition by now. As an old school gamer, 5e is boring, the PF2 playtest felt like a watered down version of the game I already love. So, Pathfinder players are left in the cold and will be bitter for a while. Ten years worth of books and steady rotation of games will have to keep me busy.

Simply put, I do not agree.

5E is popular with my group because it has the appeal of older styles, but has modernized the rule set with simple and elegant rules.

After waiting for years for a Kingmaker collected edition for Pathfinder, it is a bit of a slap in the face to fans to see it offered to 5E players. Once, Mona and company announce the new Starstone Module for 5E, the message will be clearer. So, meh. Good for 5e players in that they can get a good adventure.

Psst... they are making a Kingmaker collected edition for Pathfinder.

They are not making a Kingmaker collected edition for 5e. Just a bestiary.

You face might feel a little less slapped if you actually read their announcement.

Remove ads

Remove ads