D&D 5E Paladin and Ranger Are Backward

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I honestly feel the ranger is best as a rogue archetype or variant. Sneak attack for sniping. Light armor. Expertise stealth and survival. Maybe some spells like the arcane trickster. And I think the bonus action move for a ranger would be sweet. Imho. I know thoughts would vary.
Like with the fighter, I’d need a lot more of a character’s mechanics to live in the subclass to be satisfied with that.

But yeah the rogue is a vastly better home for the ranger than the fighter.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The Ranger really should be a prep class and all the subclasses should have additional spells known.
I'd do you one better.

The Ranger really should be a prep class and all the favored enemies, favored terrains, and subclasses should have additional spells known.

Hunter: hunter's mark, conjure barrage
Favored Terrain Forest: entangle, spider climb
Favored Enemy Dragon: absorb elements, protection from energy
Favored Terrain Desert: create or destroy water, blur
Fravored Enemy Humaniond: alarm, wind wall

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'd do you one better.

The Ranger really should be a prep class and all the favored enemies, favored terrains, and subclasses should have additional spells known.

I like that idea. Mostly for favored terrain, because I do think that preparing special “banes” for, and salves against, different creatures is a more thematic route.

Xeviat

Hero
I'd do you one better.

OH I like that.

An idea I've been wanting try out was a spell list based on what terrain you're in when you long rest. That would be an interesting "favored terrain" feature.

GlassJaw

Hero
I'd do you one better.

I definitely wouldn't go this direction. This just exacerbates the problem of the ranger being highly reliant on the campaign/DM for its abilities to function.

I'm firmly in the camp that the ranger needs a rework (although UA & Tasha's has helped a lot) but making their abilities more specialized is not the answer.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I definitely wouldn't go this direction. This just exacerbates the problem of the ranger being highly reliant on the campaign/DM for its abilities to function.

I'm firmly in the camp that the ranger needs a rework (although UA & Tasha's has helped a lot) but making their abilities more specialized is not the answer.

The idea is that these are on top of what the ranger gets. These are bonus spells known.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases