D&D 5E Paladin Archetypes... *meh*

shrugs I think the Paladin Oaths are some of the more evocative and distinct subclasses in 5e. They play very noticeably different from each other, especially if you use all the tools they bring to the table beyond the base class.

The only existing Oath I don't really care for is Redemption, with some wonky mechanics one might expect from trying to put a pacifist bent on a combat class. (Crown is pretty mediocre except for Spirit Guardians, which alone makes it effective starting Lv. 9.)

The only existing Oath I don't really care for is Redemption, with some wonky mechanics one might expect from trying to put a pacifist bent on a combat class.

The thing I always try to remember (and remind other people of) is that, in 5e you can say you're attacking non-lethally and you'll be just fine. If you want to, you could just take the 1d8 bludgeoning damage and say you're attacking with the sword in it's scabbard or using a wooden practice sword or something like that.

You'll still be effective, and you'll fit the flavor. Just remember to not attack first.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
Well, perhaps it was by design. The paladin class is arguably a powerful one even without archetype features added. It is just that in reviewing the archetypes, no one at our table has ever found any of them to be compelling for their character--it is almost a "why bother, these all suck" attitude. Compared to archetypes from other classes, they seem severely uninspired.
Which class have you been comparing to? I think Rogues, Fighters and Monks have it worse. Paladins dont have an archetype that is widely accepted as 'weak'. Plus all of them (except Vengeance) get a unique aura that is quite powerful and benefits the party members.

Oofta

Legend
Have you seen Dark Chrystal yet @lowkey13?

It has gnome paladins with spoons.

Well since lowkey's avatar is based on an evil cat woman who hates paladins ... err ... She-Ra, lowkey would probably side with the Skesis.

Oh, and where's the spoiler alert! Some of us had other things to do over the weekend than to watch muppets! :mad:

Oofta

Legend
Catra is not evil.

She's just misunderstood. I mean, how would you feel if your bestie got a hyphen and you didn't?

Hear that, She-Ra? I'm coming for you, and for your precious hyphen!

Right. Better to destroy the entire world than accept responsibility for your own actions. Although I do understand being jealous of that hair.

Besides, all cats are evil. Especially the ones that claim me as their servant.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases