Paladin as core class or PrC?

• Core Class

Votes: 47 49.5%
  • Prestige Class

Votes: 48 50.5%

Marshall

First Post
hong said:
I'm all for a _knight_ core class, but that isn't quite the same as a paladin.

I'm with Hong here. The Paladin in the PHB is the 'Mounted Warrior' archetype that WotC tried to combine with the 'Holy Warrior' concept. The book class is generally a useless mishmash with an impossible CoC. Base a PrC off Holy Lib, make it any Good, and call it a Paladin.

Ran

First Post
The concept is for a prestige class, being evil once wouldn't prohibit it, many saints were quite perverted before converting...

I voted prestige for the concept, a 10 level strong, with no remove disease as special ability (put it in the list of spells !!!!). Des it make anyone else revolt to see that great improvement in this amazing ability??

Anyway, that doesn't change the fact that the option to have a great rider as core class is good, just don't like the way they madee it... I have a problem with the ranger too... not a true warrior, not a true wilderness man... but a great tradition from LoR.

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
Ran said:

Anyway, that doesn't change the fact that the option to have a great rider as core class is good, just don't like the way they madee it... I have a problem with the ranger too... not a true warrior, not a true wilderness man... but a great tradition from LoR.

You would question LotR!!!!!!!!! Heathen!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Ran

First Post
Question LoR??
For god sake no... but ranger was great there, and out of place anywhere else, the rngers were very specific, you don't see their role in many worlds, Scarred lands would allow for it, not forgotten, greyhawk, and so on...

fact is, traditions sometimes keep in the way, they could have done the most simple and important positions, leaving the rest for multiclass, and I saw many many multi classed...

We could have rnger and Paladin out, entering some core class that was the warrior and wilderness type... 'cause fighter can be rider very well, provided he got feats...

CSB046

First Post
Has anyone tried out the "Holy Warrior" core class from Green Ronin's Book of the Righteous?

I just purchased the book an hour ago, so I can't speak for it too much. However, based on a cursory glance and the numerous glowing reviews here on EN World, I think this might be just the "paladin solution" I needed. Instead of a single paladin concept related specifically to goodness and virtue, the holy warrior class has certain granted powers tied into the domains of a chosen deity (just as some of a cleric's powers are tied to his or her deity's domains).

Based on the reviews, it seems that Green Ronin did NOT cover holy warriors of evil deities, but tweaking that seems a logical step to take. There may not be many orc paladins, but an evil orc warrior pillaging in the name of his god seems reasonable!

Again, I'm just speculating, but I thought I'd throw the notion out there. If all works out, I guess my answer to "paladin as core class or prestige class" would be NEITHER. ;)

Remove ads