• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paladin should kill the Warlord and take his stuff!

Sitara said:
ummm, clerics provide healing, are not as good at combat, and can't both attack and provide a + boost to attack rolls at the same time?

Anyhow, this is ntot a post against the warlord. Basically what Ia m saying is that it makes more sense for the paladin to do the things the warlord will do, in addition to doing paladin things. It seems a waste to have another class do something when an existing class could do it and have it make more sense flavorwise.

Paladins have too much restrictive baggage to make good generals. I'm not seeing the Black Prince or Cao Cao being a paladin.

Belphanior

First Post
The paladin would be a divine leader, which is what the cleric already is. There'd be too much overlap. And it's silly to have a role filled by two classes with the same powersource. It really had to be either martial or arcane, and they've chosen to gone with Warlord.

Which isn't surprising, because the Marshall (which is what the Warlord is, it's not a new class at all!) was already pretty 4e-ish for its time.

Finally, I too see paladins more as defenders than leaders.

Doug McCrae

Legend
You could multiclass paladin with cleric or warlord to get the sort of character you're looking for. Paladins have always been fighter/clerics anyway.

Kalshane

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
You could multiclass paladin with cleric or warlord to get the sort of character you're looking for. Paladins have always been fighter/clerics anyway.

That's a great idea! I think I know what I want my first 4E character to be. :) Granted, we don't know for sure exactly how multi-classing is going to work, or the full details of both classes, but in concept, at least, a paladin/warlord sounds like it would work really well.

Overall, I think the classic paladin could easily cover both roles. A paladin has always been about protecting the weak, as well as inspiring others to greatness (if only by example). Though, as Belphanior said, they already have a divine leader in the cleric, so it makes sense for paladins to become defenders.

Deverash

First Post
Doug McCrae said:

There's also supposedly a Paragon path that works best for either a cleric or a paladin entry.

orc food

First Post
Sitara said:
Seriously. It seems to me that the Paladin would make an effective 'leader', without requireing a fancy new class called warlord. The paladin could have the leadership abilities, aura's, boosts,etc. Just remove paladin spellcasting and add in everything else from the warlord and what you already have for the paladin.

I dunno, just something about the paladin screams 'LEADER'.

What little I read about Warlord, It sounds more like a renamed Bard then Paladin. I foresee the Wrlord being the class everyone wants in the party but does not want to play themselves. ;)

Even with the no one out preforms everyone else and everyone helps one anther, lets all hold hands in the battle, Go! team power, thing, they are pushing.

Voss

First Post
I hope the warlord is more interesting than just a renamed bard. There is a lot of interesting things they could do with the class.

Personally, I was hoping they'd ditch the paladin and ranger. They have never really provided much that a fighter/druid or cleric didn't (in fact, they've been inferior to the multiclass option) Hopefully they're losing enough of their stupid baggage and are redesigned in a way that justifies their place in 4e.

Zamkaizer

First Post
Voss said:
Personally, I was hoping they'd ditch the paladin and ranger. They have never really provided much that a fighter/druid or cleric didn't (in fact, they've been inferior to the multiclass option) Hopefully they're losing enough of their stupid baggage and are redesigned in a way that justifies their place in 4e.

From what we've heard, it sounds as though you won't be disappointed, especially concerning the new martial ranger.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads