• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Paladin Smite Damage Cap

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
The description of the paladin's smite class feature contains this sentence: "The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8." So this gives us a 2d8 for 1st lvl slot, 3d8 for 2nd, 4d8 for 3rd, 5d8 for 4th, and 5d8 for 5th. However, there are other things the paladin has that can increase smite damage and I'm unsure if these increases are subjected to the 5d8 cap. For instance included after the quoted sentence the smite feature says that an additional 1d8 is added if the target is a fiend or undead. The 11th level feature Improved Divine Smite also adds 1d8 to all attacks and that this is considered part of a smite.

So there are two interpretations:
1) Augments increase damage potential making it possible to smite for 6d8 and 7d8.
2) These augments are still subject to the 5d8 maximum and simply make it cheaper to reach this cap.

fba827

Adventurer
I would use interpretation 1.
The damage cap is used in the same sentence when talking about augmenting through spell slot level. The other stuff is listed seperatly and therefore in my reading would not be part of the damage cap.
Of course, that's just my opinion :-?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Agreed with the other posters - the 5d8 cap is based on spell slot, other things can add past that.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Thanks for the input everyone. Paladins in my world will be relieved to hear that their damage against the wicked can reach all time highs.

S

Sunseeker

Do note your numbers in this post are slightly off, you say 5d8 for 4th level and then 5d8 again for 5th level. It should be 6d8 for 5th. After going through all the trouble to get those extra d8s, I'd hate to see you miss out.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Do note your numbers in this post are slightly off, you say 5d8 for 4th level and then 5d8 again for 5th level. It should be 6d8 for 5th. After going through all the trouble to get those extra d8s, I'd hate to see you miss out.

No. His numbers were correct. The cap is the reason his numbers are correct.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I do find it extremely odd that they capped it at all considering that with no cap, the damage would be 6D8 (7D8 with Improved Divine Smite) and 7D8 (8D8 with Improved Divine Smite) for undead or fiends. With one interpretation, the cap only drops is by a single D8 (two D8 with the other interpretation). Spell casters at those levels are doing a lot more damage than that with a 5th level spell slot, even with half damage.

Very strange.

I do find it extremely odd that they capped it at all considering that with no cap, the damage would be 6D8 (7D8 with Improved Divine Smite) and 7D8 (8D8 with Improved Divine Smite) for undead or fiends. With one interpretation, the cap only drops is by a single D8 (two D8 with the other interpretation). Spell casters at those levels are doing a lot more damage than that with a 5th level spell slot, even with half damage.

Very strange.

The cap is there to prevent Paladin 2/full caster X from using 6th-9th slots to Smite. I agree the cap should be raised to 6d8 to accommodate 5th-level slots, though.

And as for damage, it's 6d8 (7d8 vs. fiend) on top of an attack that already deals 2d8 + stat mod (w/ longsword). And can be doubled on a critical unlike ye old Cone of Cold or upcast Fireball. And keep in mind Paladins get two attacks per round by that point, dealing more damage. Even with a "conservative" spike using just one Smite that round you're looking at 10d8 + 2xstat minimum.

Blackbrrd

First Post
My interpretation of this: "the extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8." Is that the maximum relates to the extra for spending higher level spell slots. In other words 2d8+5d8 maxiumum (from a 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th level spell slot).

Remove ads