Paladin/sorcerer build

Mercurius

Legend
I'm looking at building a paladin/sorcerer variant of some kind, let's say 7th level. We're currently 6th level in ToA, and our DM likes to occasionally imply that we should have back up characters...so I may never need this, or I may need it soon, but either way I thought it would be fun to develop the concept and a first attempt, at least, for the fun of it.

My first thought is an aasimar. Years ago I played a deva avenger in a 4E game that I really loved, and wanted to re-create that character, or at least elements of him. He was a bit of the "Accursed Wanderer" archetype - a fallen angel, although not evil, with a clouded past, who wandered around smiting things with his greatsword. So I want to fit that basic idea.

A secondary option is an aaracokra (thought it would be fun to play an aaracokra storm sorcerer).

I'm not sure if I want to focus more on paladin or sorcerer, but am thinking levels being 5/2. What are some options to play with? I was thinking a sorcerer focused on either fire or lightning. Of course being a 5th level sorcerer allows for fireball and/or lightning bolt, but I could also start at 5th paladin (which probably makes more sense conceptually), and then build up sorcerer. But I'm guessing the optimized version is 5th sorcerer, 2nd paladin?

It doesn't have to be totally maxed out - the most important thing is to fit the character concept.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I'm looking at building a paladin/sorcerer variant of some kind, let's say 7th level. We're currently 6th level in ToA, and our DM likes to occasionally imply that we should have back up characters...so I may never need this, or I may need it soon, but either way I thought it would be fun to develop the concept and a first attempt, at least, for the fun of it.

My first thought is an aasimar. Years ago I played a deva avenger in a 4E game that I really loved, and wanted to re-create that character, or at least elements of him. He was a bit of the "Accursed Wanderer" archetype - a fallen angel, although not evil, with a clouded past, who wandered around smiting things with his greatsword. So I want to fit that basic idea.

A secondary option is an aaracokra (thought it would be fun to play an aaracokra storm sorcerer).

I'm not sure if I want to focus more on paladin or sorcerer, but am thinking levels being 5/2. What are some options to play with? I was thinking a sorcerer focused on either fire or lightning. Of course being a 5th level sorcerer allows for fireball and/or lightning bolt, but I could also start at 5th paladin (which probably makes more sense conceptually), and then build up sorcerer. But I'm guessing the optimized version is 5th sorcerer, 2nd paladin?

It doesn't have to be totally maxed out - the most important thing is to fit the character concept.

I vote Paladin 2 sorcerer 5. Take mostly utility spells with the sorcerer. I suggest a two handed weapon and the booming blade cantrip. I also recommend investing more in charisma than strength. I'd probably consider my first level to be sorcerer.

A few tricks:
Use quicken meta magic to bonus action attack with booming blade when needed.
Being able to use twin spell on haste could be very good at times.

Recommended feat is heavy armor master or inspiring leader or lucky if you start variant human or decide to take a feat instead of an ASI.

Recommended sorcerer subclass is divine soul.

All in all this should be very well rounded character.

Remove ads