Palladium Announces Collapse of Robotech RPG Tactics Kickstarter

Back in 2013, Palladium Books successfully funded a miniature wargame based on the Robotech Role-Playing Game (originally published by Palladium in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and reprinted up until 1998). They raised over $1.4 million from over 5,000 backers. However, Kevin Sembieda, president of Palladium, announced today that they were not going to be able to provide some of the rewards for the Kickstarter; and, further still, that Palladium's license to produce Robotech gaming material had expired and would not be renewed.

262d3464b320143987ae862b8af464df_original.jpg

Robotech is a sci-fi property featuring alien invaders and mecha. Robotech RPG Tactics is, in Palladium's words, "a fast paced strategy battle game that expands on the popular Palladium role playing game. Take command of the brave men and women of the United Earth Defense Force to valiantly defend Earth from annihilation. Or, command the alien armies of the Zentraedi Armada to recover an alien artifact of immense power and enslave humankind. Collect your forces from an expanding range of world class game pieces. Relive the massive battles on your tabletop at home to enhance your Robotech® RPG adventures or as a stand-alone game."

In a lengthy update, Sembieda explained the various woes which have plagued the project.

Originally scheduled for a Fall 2013 release, the company ran into problems when the found out the 3D design files for various game pieces were not compatible with the manufacturer's process.

The second setback came when shipping costs increased (or, as Sembieda explains it, changed from being paid for not just by the weight, but also by the physical side of the package) which added around $200,000 to the project's shipping costs.

Apparently the Kickstarter money was all spent on the "Wave One" rewards; it's the Wave Two rewards which the company is unable to fulfil, the cost of which they estimate as being in the region of half a million dollars.

Palladium is offering Wave One rewards in place of Wave Two rewards, as long as the recipients pay for shipping.

The reactions are as to be expected - backers are angry, and most appear to be rejecting the offer of replacement rewards. There are many demands for refunds, some discussion about lawsuits, and plenty of venting. There's even a Facebook group for people who wish to sue Palladium. What will happen next is anybody's guess, but this isn't the first high profile Kickstarter to fail, and it won't be the last.

Last edited by a moderator:

stargazera5

Explorer
Kevin Sembieda explained the various woes and ignored the biggest woe of all, Kevin Sembieda himself. I passed on the recent Bundles of Holding featuring Palladium books even though I would have snapped them up previously specifically because the horrific customer service they did on the RRT kickstarter. The rollout of Palladium Books on DTRPG would also have gotten me to buy, Nope, not supporting Palladium any more.

I signed up for the payoff with wave 1 merchandise so I cann be done with this fiasco, but of course most everything I really wanted was wave 2. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Actually, the announcement is even bigger than just RRT. Harmony Gold pulled the entire Robotech license from them, so the entire RPG is being liquidated. I'm not really surprised at this, to be honest. The last new book Palladium did int his line was the Expeditionary Force Marines book back in 2015. Since I didn't want to support Palladium, I've been keeping an eye out for used copies copies online. 2.5 years and everybody still lists it as new, there are no used copies to be had. That says something right there.

Hopefully HG, after a suitable cooling off period, doesn't give up on RPG and miniatures for Robotech but decides to find alternate companies that can actually do something decent with the property. I'd love to see Reaper or FFG get the miniatures license.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One thing I've insisted on for our Kickstarters over the last couple of years, which has served us well, I think, is that I won't launch one until I am physically *holding* the final product in my hands; and I prefer to avoid stretch goals unless I can say the same about them. Admittedly, books are much easier to do that with than boxed boardgames and miniatures.

Osgood

Adventurer
This comes as no surprise from the vast majority of backers. I'd say most of us knew there would never be more products for 2 or 3 years. The galling part is the steady stream of lies from Sembieda since wave 1. If he'd been up front about all this back then, I think most people would have grumbled about it and moved on; now I think he'll have headaches for yours to come.

The game was pretty lousy, and I've played it exactly once, so wave 2 was kind of pointless for me personally. I wrote off that money years ago any way.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I looked over the page, but I wasn't clear on what Wave One and Wave Two were? Where should I be looking for that info? I'm probably just being blind.

Ghal Maraz

Adventurer
No, there's no hope at all. License pulled=any production immediately ceased.

And that also means that any back catalogue must be destroyed, which is telling of this whole Kickstarter fiasco; I'm not even a backer, but I can still clearly see the horrible customer mistreatment behind this last desperate proposal of offering Wave 1 products instead of the promised Wave 2.

You know, Palladium is offering to people - who've long ago paid (a lot of) money - the possibility to exchange their KS "credit" for products they aren't probably interested in, at their full retail price, and adding the shipping costs!

So, what Palladium is trying to is:

- violating Kickstarter's Terms of Service (project creators must deliver all promised rewards OR refund backers: it's simple as that);
- trying to prevent backers from sueing them, as exchanging credit for products would then make it impossible to complain;
- disposing of products which they must otherwise destroy (a very expansive affair) at no cost for them, by making backers pay for shipping;
- reducing the volume of said exchange, by applying full retail price (to items which are now worthless, as they can't be otherwise sold at all);
- refusing to acknowledge their failings in this horrible, horrible disaster.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases