Paridon: The Dark Metropolis (Ravenloft)

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
[sblock=OOC]
Please place all OOC speech in spoiler blocks or in the OOC thread. Let's keep the mood flowing!

I'll roll the dice for the game. There may be checks that need to be made that the PCs (and players) shouldn't know about. Rest assured that these rolls will happen behind the curtain, probably regularly.

OOC Thread
Rogues' Gallery
[/sblock]

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Chapter One: Something New

The night is dark, quiet. The air is still, and fog lies in the streets as a heavy blanket, muffling all. There is still movement--those who fear the day crawl from their hiding places, rise from the sewers, and hunt for those unfortunate few who find themselves out in the cold.

Yet tonight, something gathers. Small humanoid creatures, under the cover of darkness, skulk and congregate in a central square. Sylvan whispers between them, and the rats stop to listen. They assemble at the base of a monolithic building, its face lit up from afar.

BONG

The note carries throughout the city, unfettered. A prime utterance against the night. It chimes again, and again. Three, four, five... each note resolute, a herald of the passage of time, unchanging, unstoppable. The diminutive throng waits anxiously. Ten, eleven, twelve.

DSCN2497.jpg

The Clock Tower of Paridon.

Flash! The city square bursts forth with color!
Lights and sound peal forth from the crowd, gay music, fireworks, and hundreds of balls of light appear and float above the heads of the gnomes filling the plaza with celebration. They dance and sing, and banish the darkness in their small enclave for the moment.

Yet two have pulled away from the celebrations. A young man and woman, still adolescents, move out of sight of the others, and sneak into the clock tower itself. She seems to know the way, carefully climbing up the stairs, up the gears, timing their ascent to the great sound of the clock's action. Before the face of the clock, gazing at the pair of them like a giant moon, the two laugh, play, and embrace. He tells her to stop, and wait. He grabs hold of a chain and rises higher, higher, higher with every second. As he climbs, he fixes his gaze on her. He smiles. He speaks.

She screams.

DSCN2427.jpg

The Central Barracks of Paridon.

You awake, barely dawn, to the sound of a knock on your door. The constabulary is there, waiting with a carriage. Your presence is immediately requested. You complete your morning rituals, and arrive at the Central Barracks.

Captain of the Investigators, Gis, an aged, wiry yet spry man, waits for you as your carriages arrive. "Yes, yes, good, you've all arrived. So sorry to wake you so early, but a case came through last night and we needed your presence as soon as possible. Please, come with me."

You are taken down the hall to a small room. In the room, a large crystal glows blue, mist curling off it, condensing out of the air. This room is used to hold the dead. For those who might wish to see the dead, the crystal keeps the room at its chilly temperature. For those who might wish to see the living, the locks on the door are stout. On a slab in the center of the room, lies an unmoving corpse of a very small person, probably only about three feet high when alive--but who is now missing his head. His clothing is drenched in blood, darkening a tweed vest, white tunic, green leggings, and silver chain from which a pocket watch--now smashed--hangs.

"He was found hanging in the Clock Tower,"
Gis explains. "No one was able to identify him, but we believe he was a gnome. They're holding their New Year festivities right now, and most of the community was out celebrating last night. Usually we would leave the body at the scene under guard, but it was at risk of being crushed between the teeth of two gears. We have been unable to find the head."

[sblock=ooc]
Thanks to Manolis Kellis for the wonderful pictures available online.
Also, thanks to the city of Prague for just being so cool.

P.S. My prose will probably not remain so purple. ;)
[/sblock]

wmasters

First Post
Perrin looks over the body. "Nasty." he mutters. "I assume there was nothing found on the body, no personal effects or anything?"

Looking closer he sees the pocket watch. Lifting it to his eyes he looks it over, to see whether it is just the glass is broken, or the entire watch has failed. If the latter, what time it shows, and whether there are any engravings etc.

jkason

First Post
Ru Brike, barbaric human monk

Ru wrinkles his nose slightly and stays slightly back from the body, letting Perrin do the close inspection.

"We haven't found the head. Were there any signs of ritual in the clocktower? Do we have an accurate picture of how the body was positioned in the context of the scene?"

Rhun

First Post
Torhan Xarr

The tall warrior looks over the body, his arms crossed over his chest and he gazes silently at the victim. After a few moments, he speaks, his rich baritone voice carrying with it the man's powerful presence. "Were there other clues to be found at the Clock Tower, Gis? Tracks, perhaps? Or the weapon that did this? What about witnesses or other victims?" He turns to look at Perrin, who is giving the corpse a closer examination. "I've not heard of any other beheadings in the city of late. This certainly isn't the 'usual' way that someone commits foul murder."

wmasters

First Post
Perrin looks curiously at Torhan. "There's a usual way? You've not heard the stories then. There's more strange ways men have been killed in this town than you or I could count. Of course, most of them are just stories now, no actual record kept. Decapitation doesn't sound like the worst killing I've heard of."

Rhun

First Post
Torhan smiles slightly. "What I meant is that usually it is a dagger in the back, or strangulation, or such. Decapitation is not the most mundane way of killing someone. It takes a sharp blade, and some amount of strength to..." Torhan trails off, pondering for a moment. "Unless the head was cut off after the slaying. Are there any other wounds on the body? Does it appear as if the head was taken off by one clean strike, or by a sawying type implement?"

Boddynock

First Post
Abass sniffs. As usual, his colleagues waste far too many words.

"Who found the body? At what time? Has anyone matching the ... approximate ... description been reported missing?"

He turns to Perrin. "What do you deduce from the state of his watch?"

Rhun said:
"Does it appear as if the head was taken off by one clean strike, or by a sawying type implement?"
"Why don't you look and see?"

kinem

Adventurer
Father Brian Berman has been softly praying, his hands together in front of his chest, where the silver symbol of Ezra hangs over his white robe. As usual, this serene picture is marred only by the large, dark dragon pistol at his side.

Now he pushes forward. "I will give him death rites" he says "but first, I must examine the body closely. A healer is best suited to investigate causes of hurt."

(ooc: heal +10)

industrygothica

Adventurer
Darian Rose looks down his nose at the grisly scene. He gives a gentlemanly nod to each of his peers as they each do what they do best.

"My question, sirs, is this," His speech is slow and articulate, almost snobbish to those that don't know him. "Did he die on the clocktower, or was he carried there afterward? I mean, if he was carried up all that way, surely someone must have seen it. But perhaps even more peculiar is if he died on the clocktower; why was he there, and better yet, why was a killer there at that very same time."

Darian adjusts his tophat and again exchanges glances with each of his comrades. "Of course, I suppose only the gnomes themselves can answer those questions, and I suppose that's as good a place as any to start."

Remove ads