• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Parting Gifts

kinem

Adventurer
That's an amusing quote, Jemal. You're right, not all situations call for your most powerful attack. But I wrote:

kinem said:
If you are facing a serious enemy,

Sparring with swords is one thing; I don't think most people would be so eager to make things more challenging for themselves in a gunfight.

I don't think it should be so easy to prepare fire seeds before a battle. With 1 round/level you can still do it, just not as easily. For example, spend 5 rounds preparing, then teleport to the enemy.

But I'm open to alternative suggestions. For example, what if a caster can only have one fire seed spell active at a time? Then I'd be OK with 10 min/level.

Jemal

Adventurer
Well, I still suggest the 1min/lvl, which seems to get rid of both of our problems.. It means they're not running around with them ALL the time(20 min duration), but they're not going to run out if we stop to try diplomacy on the badguy, or if we get into a short(several round) chase scene.(2 minute duration)

kinem

Adventurer
At this point, we might be better served by not playing out the rest of the battle round-by-round. Instead, it might be better to let me know what your intentions are.

The monster can't hurt the party much at this point (if the PCs keep their distance), and while the tarrasque may not realize it, the party has limited spells available. Some more planning might be a good idea.

Even outside of the city, there are farms and villages throughout the countryside in the area.

Jemal

Adventurer
Kurina will first close some more, before attempting to follow the thing, harrying it and remaining behind cover, attempting to drive it farther and farther away. If it does turn on her, she'll rely on her Shift to get her out of harms way.
(Run action for 2 rounds to get closer, followed by move/Manyshot, keeping Shift for in case it turns on her).

With her mobility, she can inform the party of it's wherabouts if/when it stops, and keep herself safe. The main point is that so long as she is poking it, it will not be as inclined to snack.

Ivellious

First Post
Zach knows that there isn't anyway that he stand toe to toe with that thing again. So he's just going to keep his distance from the creature, and steer it away from anything that looks like it's edablie. (Anyone ever tell Zach that anything for a tarrasque just about it lol)

kinem

Adventurer
Good to see some posting again.

In case the fight seemed too easy, let me assure you, it may be a short scenario but it's not that short :]

I am starting to think that it would be better to make rolls using invisible castle. Often at high levels, everything hinges on a single die roll, especially a saving throw. I don't want there to be any doubt that those dice are fair and square. I will still roll PC saving throws, but all saving throws will be rolled on IC with appropriate names. To-hit rolls and damage rolls can be numerous enough that I don't think it's worth doing those all the time on IC.

kinem

Adventurer
Perhaps some OOC talk would help get things moving?

You guys just have to make some decisions

- what to do with T
- will you tell people in the city anything?

Shayuri

First Post
I made a proposal, IC...I'm pretty sure we could kill the T right now.

Regeneration explcitly doesn't stop drowning or asphyxiation from working. And as long as it doesn't LOOK dangerous (hence the illusion) there should be no reason the T would try to resist walking up to a cliffside. We just need a place where the water's deep, and a cliff overhangs. Then Grandfather can whip up a nice hurricaine or something...just to make sure it doesn't make default swim checks.

Dead Tarrasque. :)

kinem

Adventurer
Regeneration's not an issue, especially since this tarrasque has fast healing instead :)

But since it's not relevant to this game, I will say that I am of the school of thought that drowning wouldn't kill a normal tarrasque. If disintegration doesn't kill it, then obviously lung function is not important to it, because disintegrated lungs don't exactly function. But then, that's exactly the sort of silliness that made me reject the whole regeneration special quality as something worthy of being used in my games :)

I probably shouldn't say anything but ... even with the heavy shell, Big T has got some big, low density lungs in him. You've heard him roar. Depending on how thick and dense you think the shell is, Big T might sink in water, but he might well float like most creatures do. Only the DM knows for sure :)

kinem

Adventurer
For the past several days I've been sick, some kind of sore throat/cough that's been going around. The bug has really been kicking my ass, making me miss a couple of social events as well as the weekly face-to-face D&D game I'm in, and leaving me little inclined to post.

But the other reason I haven't bumped this game again since last week is that there's no point without player interest and involvement. So what do you guys want to do?

Here are some options:

1) Continue normally. This means more opportunities for roleplaying, but also risks getting bogged down in decisions, red herrings and side quests.

2) Skip to the big fight. Less roleplaying; just resolve the issue. PCs win, things turn out OK.

3) End the game. Little point in pressing on if people have lost interest.

I learned some things from this game, and at some point I will probably start a new game, perhaps a Drow of the Underdark game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads