• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Party composition post your suggestion

Your Choice

• Poll closed .

retrace

First Post
We are starting a new campaign and we have the following party members Barbarian, Paladin, Druid, Bard, one more character.

What is your suggestion and why.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'd go two more characters: a Rogue of some sort, and a Wizard of some sort.

Your front line is solid enough already with a Barb and a Pally; and while you can never have enough front end you've got more pressing needs here than another Fighter-type. The same is true for the War Cleric...your front end is already in decent shape and you've got the healing side (vaguely) covered off already.

If you only have one more player coming in, the other character might have to be a recruited NPC.

Plan B, of course, is that the 5th character be a multiclass Wizard-Rogue, but that'll probably only be viable for a few levels after which you'll want one of each instead.

Lanefan

aco175

Legend
I voted rogue since the bard could pinch-hit for a mage, but I guess he could act as a rogue as well. You seem to have combat down fairly well with the barbarian and paladin. Healing looks good with cleric and paladin. I could go either mage or rogue, but I tend to like rogues more.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
You have yourself a situation where all of the traditional "roles" are covered, and redundantly covered at that. Just pick something interesting that you wouldn't pick under normal situations. Like maybe a playtest Artificer or Mystic.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Wizard all the way there. Tons of meat up front, plus healing, plus bard for support. You need blasting power, and some non-buff utility, which screams wizard. (Or sorcerer, or warlock, if desired.)

ccs

41st lv DM
You should always pick whatever you think you'll enjoy playing. Doesn't matter if you've got all the bases covered or not. And if someone else complains "but then we don't have a _____?" So what? If that was so important to them, why didn't they fill it?

Thurmas

Explorer
Rogue or Wizard.

Like mentioned already, you have your front line types, so no to the fighter. I don't think the Cleric is needed. You have three classes that can already do some kind of healing and already have 1.5 Divine spellcasters. I would choose based on which direction the Bard is wanting to go. If its a blasty lore bard, maybe a Rogue is better. If its a valor bard, or support bard, maybe a blasty Wizard is better.

Or kind of combine the two with an Arcane Tricker or Bladesinger.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I think it has to be either Rogue or Wizard, and of those two, I think Wizard is the one less likely to be duplicated by the other party members.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Of those choices, I'd go Theif or Arcane Trickster Rogue, but with the Bard in here I'd rather have a Ranger, Warlock, or Monk. Very versatile classes, that do some things the other classes don't. You've got a strong front line, the Bard is an excellent skill monkey and face, Druid and Bard are good magic users, you're definitely good on crowd control and support casting.

But if it has to be from those choices, Rogue is the guy to be, IMO. As a skirmisher, you can run the back field or be front line in combat, as needed. Out of combat, by focusing on different skills from the Bard, you cover just about everything, and it's fun to play.

Remove ads