• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Party composition post your suggestion

Your Choice

• Poll closed .

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Whatever you want, because that is the answer no matter who is asking what to play - "party composition" be damned. Play what sounds like fun, and it usually is.

LapBandit

First Post
Thief Rogue with Sharpshooter would be a lot of fun. You can use the -5/+10 situationally but the ignore cover aspect will always be in play due to having two melee characters in the party. Fast Hands and Thieves' Tools would make you very useful in a pinch.

Also a Thief Rogue battlefield medic with Healer feat using the Healing Kit with Fast Hands sounds fun too.

Satyrn

First Post
I vote for batlemaster. Specifically a gnome battlemaster.

Why? I'm having such a blast playing a gnome battlemaster, I mention my gnome battlemaster at nearly every opportunity. It is awesome.

Pathkeeper24601

First Post
My first pick would always be what the player most wants to play as 5th is very forgiving in party composition requirements. Assuming the list is based on what the player would want to play, I would go with the War Domain Theurge Wizard from one of the UA articles. Very open to a wide variety of play styles, especially if the DM allows scribing Cleric spell scrolls into his Spellbook for those that aren't in that domain.

Shiroiken

Legend
Hard to say, since it depends on the party build. The Barbarian and Paladin are almost certainly front-line fighters, but the Druid and Bard would depend on the build. A mage might be needed, but the Bard can take up a lot of the slack if they focus on utility spells (still leaving AoE lacking). A cleric might be useful if the Druid is a Moon Circle, since they won't be casting a lot of spells in combat. A rogue's usefulness depends on the DM, the campaign, and the build of the Bard and Druid, since they can take up some of that slack (scouting and skills).

I would say overall, if the Druid took Moon Circle and the Bard picks up Thieves Tools and other rogue type skills, both likely choices, a Mage would be the best fit for party optimization. Of course, I always recommend playing what is most interesting, leaving optimization behind.

Raith5

Adventurer
You cant go wrong with a battle cleric, but I voted for wizard. Hopefully a wizard would shorten your combats and reduce the need of the druid and bard to use their spells for cures.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I vote chain warlock. Gives you a good ranged damager for combat, which you appear to be lacking. A good scout with his awesome familiar for exploration. Take all the at will disguise spells and take as many conversation skills as you can for the social part.

Oops, I just noticed the poll doesn't include warlock.

Last edited:

akr71

Hero
I voted rogue since the bard could pinch-hit for a mage, but I guess he could act as a rogue as well. You seem to have combat down fairly well with the barbarian and paladin. Healing looks good with cleric and paladin. I could go either mage or rogue, but I tend to like rogues more.

I can't add anything to that. My thoughts exactly... err except healing by druid, paladin & bard.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Out of the choices I'd choose wizard.

I would probably make a wizard that steals stuff. His primary goal of his spells is to get into and out of places he shouldn't be so he can steal valuable items and documents. Spells like invisibility or fly or silence and sleep to put anyone that catches him to sleep so he can quickly flee. Sounds fun and covers the exploration pillar so well for your group. Give him a good dex with moderate str and make int your third highest and anything leftover into charisma. Don't worry as much about con. Even an 8 is fine and flavorful for this guy.

Consider Athletics, Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Investigation, persuasion and deception.

That's 7 skills you want for the single reason that you don't want to have to rely on magic for everything. So start as variant human with the skilled feat. That gives you 3 and 2 from your back ground and 1 from variant human and one of those skills is on the wizards list. You now have all the skills you could possibly want to be a good thief. Supplement those with your magic and you may have one of the best scouts and thiefs in all the realms.

Oh and pick school of conjuration so you can make keys that you have seen (assuming your DM is okay with that use). Or at least unlimited lockpicks...

Consider multiclassing 1 level of rogue at some point for expertise.

Rogue would be my second pick.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads