D&D 5E Passage Domain. Balanced Subclass or not?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I wonder if someone could check (as best they can) to make sure this subclass is not overpowered. Many thanks in advance.

CD is basically one of Glam Bard's 3rd features.
6th is basically Graviturgy 6th feature
17th is basically fey wanderer's 14th feature

Spells are based on moving self, allies and enemies.

PASSAGE DOMAIN (CLERIC SUBCLASS)

Clerics of the passage domain are filled with wanderlust. Nomads, Traders, Sailors and any who travel long distances pray for safe passage. Some gods of passage include: Akadi, Goddess of Air, Marthammor Duin, God of Wanderers, Valkur, god of sailors and Waukeen, goddess of trade.

Passage Domain Spells
Lvl Spells + cantrip: sapping sting*
1st expeditious retreat, feather fall
3rd misty step, vortex warp*
5th blink, gaseous form
7th dimension door, freedom of movement
9th passwall, teleportation circle

SAFE PASSAGE.
Starting at 1st level, your speed increases by 10 feet and difficult terrain doesn’t cost you extra movement.

CLEAR PATHWAYS.
Also, when you make a Survival check, you can treat a d20 roll of 9 or lower as a 10.

CD: SWIFT DISPERSAL.
As a bonus action, you present your holy symbol and choose a number of creatures you can see within 60 feet of you, up to a number equal to your Wisdom modifier. Each of them gains 5 temporary hit points. When a creature does so, it can immediately use its reaction to move up to its speed, without provoking opportunity attacks.
The temporary hit points increase to 8 at 5th level, 11 at 10th level, and 14 at 15th level.

GUIDE THE WAY.
At 6th level, whenever you cast a spell on a creature, you can move the target 5 feet to an unoccupied space of your choice if the target is willing to move, the spell hits it with an attack, or it fails a saving throw against the spell.

BLESSED STRIKES.
When you reach 8th level, you are blessed with divine might in battle. When a creature takes damage from one of your cantrips or weapon attacks, you can also deal 1d8 radiant damage to that creature. Once you deal this damage, you can't use this feature again until the start of your next turn.
When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

MISTY WANDERER.
When you reach 17th level, you can slip in and out of the prime material plane to move in a blink of an eye: you can cast Misty Step without expending a spell slot. You can do so a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of once), and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.
In addition, whenever you cast Misty Step, you can bring along one willing creature you can see within 5 feet of you. That creature teleports to an unoccupied space of your choice within 5 feet of your destination space.

Thanks again.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
If this looks overpowered in any way shape or form, would someone let me know?

I am trying to play this in some form in the near future and would really appreciate an outside view/opinion.

Many thanks.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
As I think you suspect, it feels overpowered. I'm looking at the lower-tier abilities more than the upper ones.

At level 1:
  • you get a free (new) cantrip. Fine.
  • Safe Passage is basically the equivalent of the Mobile feat (replicating an ability that is part of the effect of a level 4 spell!). For some classes this would be a good ability to come online at level 6.
  • Clear Pathways is an ability equivalent to a level 3 ability (reliable talent on specific skill without limit: cf. Eloquence Bard).
That's just too much. It would be the best 1-level dip for a Fighter, Ranger, Monk, Barb, Paladin.

At level 6:
* Guide the Way seems too much for an at-will ability. Perhaps limit it to Prof times/long rest.

Spell list is good. Perhaps Water Walk makes better sense than Vortex Warp.

Last edited:

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Thanks very much for the response. If you would indulge me a little more I would most appreciate it.

How about 5/10 extra movement and proficiency in the survival skill for 1st level. Also, would Thorn Whip be better than Sapping Sting just because it's in the PHB?

Walk water is 3rd and Vortex is 2nd. I did consider Water Walk. It could either replace Blink or Gaseous Form no problem. If it is Vortex Warp that feels a little off, I did also consider either Levitate, Locate Object, Enhance Ability or Rope Trick for a traveller?

Guide the Way is a 6th level Wizard ability from the Graviturgy subclass. I was hoping that one would be OK but if you think its a little OP I will amend it.

Thoughts?

And thanks again by the way.

I'd flip the level 1 and 6 features (keeping the free cantrip at level 1 and maybe giving survival proficiency). The extra movement is just too good for any character, and other class features that hand out straight extra movement come at higher levels. The effective auto success on most survival checks is something other comparable class features give out at level 3 for Eloquence Bards and Inquisitive Rogues get at level 3. In the case of the latter I also just think it's a feature that is more enjoyable when you've had to fail some checks with that character before you get it.

The overall features could be a little more powerful if the first level features were more limited. I think the channel divinity could afford to be a slightly stronger than a Bardic Inspiration equivalent, given that under most circumstances Bards get more uses of Bardic Inspiration than Clerics get of Channel Divinity.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Thanks very much for the response. If you would indulge me a little more I would most appreciate it.

Glad to help. (and again, these are just one person's thoughts).
How about 5/10 extra movement and proficiency in the survival skill for 1st level. Also, would Thorn Whip be better than Sapping Sting just because it's in the PHB?
Sapping Sting is a great spell. You are right that parallels form the PHB are likely to be more persuasive, as many people feel "power creep". I tink my sense is that there is no cantrip that seems right or needed for the subclass, and so it feels a bit like a power grab.

Proficiency in Survival makes sense. You could also consider proficiency in Vehicles (land) or (water), which would be appropriate.
Walk water is 3rd and Vortex is 2nd. I did consider Water Walk. It could either replace Blink or Gaseous Form no problem. If it is Vortex Warp that feels a little off, I did also consider either Levitate, Locate Object, Enhance Ability or Rope Trick for a traveller?
My bad. At level 2, I agree that Levitate might make sense. Curiously, Knock might also make sense.

Guide the Way is a 6th level Wizard ability from the Graviturgy subclass. I was hoping that one would be OK but if you think its a little OP I will amend it.
I've not seen it in play. As was suggested by Benjamin Olson, you;'d have a nice suite with this ability with limited uses at level 1, with the proficiencies discussed. That's useful, but not an automatic choice, and it allows you to make investing in the class worthwhile.

Clear Pathways at level 6, with one of the benefits of Safe Passage at level 6, perhaps?

Hope this helps. It's a fun idea.

Thoughts?

And thanks again by the way.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Kobold Stew & Benjamin Olson. Thankyou so much.

With your advice I have:
  1. Removed the free cantrip
  2. Swapped Vortex for knock
  3. Made Guide the Way 1st level and times proficiency per long rest
  4. Merged Safe Passage and Clear Pathways but without the speed enhancement and moved to 6th.
-----------------------------------------

Lvl Spells
3rd knock, misty step
5th blink, gaseous form

GUIDE THE WAY
At 1st level, whenever you cast a spell on a creature, you can move the target 5 feet to an unoccupied space of your choice if the target is willing to move, the spell hits it with an attack, or it fails a saving throw against the spell.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency modifier. You regain all uses after finishing a long rest.

CD: SWIFT DISPERSAL
As a bonus action, you present your holy symbol and choose a number of creatures you can see within 60 feet of you, up to a number equal to your Wisdom modifier. Each of them gains 5 temporary hit points. When a creature does so, it can immediately use its reaction to move up to its speed, without provoking opportunity attacks.
The temporary hit points increase to 8 at 5th level, 11 at 10th level, and 14 at 15th level.

SAFE PASSAGE
Starting at 6th level, difficult terrain doesn’t cost you extra movement.
Also, when you make a Survival check, you can treat a d20 roll of 9 or lower as a 10.

BLESSED STRIKES
When you reach 8th level, you are blessed with divine might in battle. When a creature takes damage from one of your cantrips or weapon attacks, you can also deal 1d8 radiant damage to that creature. Once you deal this damage, you can't use this feature again until the start of your next turn.

MISTY WANDERER
When you reach 17th level, you can slip in and out of the prime material plane to move in a blink of an eye: you can cast Misty Step without expending a spell slot. You can do so a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of once), and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.
In addition, whenever you cast Misty Step, you can bring along one willing creature you can see within 5 feet of you. That creature teleports to an unoccupied space of your choice within 5 feet of your destination space.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I'm not very good at figuring out balance, but I will say I like the feel of the subclass. Moving folks, becoming faster, and so on is really fun.

The only thing that doesn't click for me is the Blessed Strike. How does that fit the theme of Passage?

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I'm not very good at figuring out balance, but I will say I like the feel of the subclass. Moving folks, becoming faster, and so on is really fun.

The only thing that doesn't click for me is the Blessed Strike. How does that fit the theme of Passage?

Yeah, I know what you mean, it's just what all clerics get at that level. Either more damage on a cantrip or weapon strikes or with Tasha's, Both. I suppose I was being lazy. Any thoughts?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Passage Domain Spells
Lvl Spells + cantrip: sapping sting*
Granting a cantrip is usually a feature, like "Bonus Cantrip": from the Light domain. I will be counting it as such.

3rd misty step, vortex warp*
5th blink, gaseous form
I'm not evaluating any custom spells as part of this. However, if they are off-theme for the cleric list, like Fireball is for the Light domain, that adds a fair amount of flexibility and therefore power.

SAFE PASSAGE.
Starting at 1st level, your speed increases by 10 feet and difficult terrain doesn’t cost you extra movement.
Adding 10 feet is a nice ability. It's better than the Monk, who has restriction on +10'. Ignoring all difficult terrain is no where near a 1st level ability - drop it.

CLEAR PATHWAYS.
This is not a 1st level ability by a long shot. Since we already have two 1st level bonuses - Bonus Cantrip and Safe Passage (+10' speed only), just drop this.

CD: SWIFT DISPERSAL.
Glamour Bard has one of the nicer bardic specials. This doesn't seem out of line, but it's not a weak one.

It may be more thematic to change the tHP to "the targets can ignore difficult terrain until the end of your next turn", to bring back in the Safe Passage ability -- that fits the domain more then random temporary HPs.

GUIDE THE WAY.
At 6th level, whenever you cast a spell on a creature, you can move the target 5 feet to an unoccupied space of your choice if the target is willing to move, the spell hits it with an attack, or it fails a saving throw against the spell.
Okay, this is a moderately good deal. You can push people into hazards, off cliffs, etc. As written you can lift them into the air. The biggest thing is that it should only be a single target per round, not every target.

BLESSED STRIKES.
Blessed Strikes, where it can apply to both, does not increase at 14th. Take a look in Tasha's. Strike that last line.

MISTY WANDERER.
Sounds cool!

EDIT: I try to give feedback before reading so I am not biased by other's thoughts and can give my own. I see here that you have a new version of this posted though, so ignore this.

Remove ads