D&D 5E Path of the Giant sets a new standard

Frankie1969

Adventurer
Every barbarian Path has at least one of the following at 6th, 10th, and/or 14th levels:
  • a non-rage feature (e.g. Reckless Abandon or Spirit Walker)
  • a non-combat feature (e.g. Bestial Soul or Spirit Walker)
  • a non-worthwhile feature (e.g. Intimidating Presence or Spirit Walker)
Except for Giant.
Besides the initial ribbon, everything about it is rage-based, combat-focused.
Furthermore, all the features are useful.
That last part is a good thing that I wish every subclass would do.
But pure focus on rage means Giant is overpowered in battle, under-equipped in exploration.
It's bad balancing.

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
But pure focus on rage means Giant is overpowered in battle, under-equipped in exploration.
It's bad balancing.

Compared to other classes, I would say it is still underpowered in combat. However, I think the more combat power is what many players want from Barbarian and I don't think they are particularly concerned about the other pillars.

I don't think players who play Barbarian feel marginalized because they aren't a great face or explorer. I think they feel marginalized because Fighters, Paladins and even some Wizards, Warlocks and Clerics are better in melee combat, which is supposed to be their specialty.

I think many Barbarian players want the thematic of a Barbarian to be more combat focused and not necessarily more balanced.

Last edited:

What's the difference between a ranger player and a barbarian player? The ranger player wants to have useful out of combat abilities and be great at exploration; the barbarian player wants to SMASH!

ECMO3

Hero
What's the difference between a ranger player and a barbarian player? The ranger player wants to have useful out of combat abilities and be great at exploration; the barbarian player wants to SMASH!
I will note before the Barbarian class was published and for the time when it was not a class in 2E, thematic "Barbarians" often were Rangers. Both Riverwind, a "Barbarian" from Dragonlance and Minsc a "Barbarian" in the original Baldur's gate were Rangers in terms of class.

I will note before the Barbarian class was published and for the time when it was not a class in 2E, thematic "Barbarians" often were Rangers. Both Riverwind, a "Barbarian" from Dragonlance and Minsc a "Barbarian" in the original Baldur's gate were Rangers in terms of class.
I always thought it odd Minsc was a ranger when I first played BG1.

Remove ads