Pathfinder 2 Character Sheet #2: Kyra, Human Cleric

It's time for the second of the six Pathfinder 2nd Edition pregenerated characters I'll be sharing with you over the next few days. Thanks to Paizo, I have here Kyra, the human cleric! I was asked what order I was doing these in -- I'm going through them alphabetically (alchemist, cleric, fighter, etc...) Enjoy!

It's time for the second of the six Pathfinder 2nd Edition pregenerated characters I'll be sharing with you over the next few days. Thanks to Paizo, I have here Kyra, the human cleric! I was asked what order I was doing these in -- I'm going through them alphabetically (alchemist, cleric, fighter, etc...) Enjoy!

Here's what Paizo's Mark Seifter has to say about Kyra:

"Kyra ... has a bunch of different spells, including fire ray from her domain and a whole lot of heal from channel energy. You may have seen heal before in our Spells blog, but it’s worth looking again a just how flexible this spell makes Kyra at healing her allies, both in combat and out. And let’s not forget that Kyra’s scimitar has the forceful and sweep traits, allowing her to build up momentum as she dances like a dervish in sweeping motions."

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 10.46.10.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 10.33.44.png

Stay tuned tomorrow, as you'll be making the acquaintance of a delightful chap I like to call Valeros, the human fighter!
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Kurviak

Explorer
In this and the Alchemist yesterday I see a lot of +1 bonuses. Really, I don't want to bother with +1. Either make a bonus meaningful or eliminate it and the rules/time/effort/tracking load that comes with it.

In the pf2 play test a +1 bonus is much more powerful than in pf1 given the way critics functions in this rule set

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
In the pf2 play test a +1 bonus is much more powerful than in pf1 given the way critics functions in this rule set

That's a good point - you're no longer just looking at a boolean pass/fail, there's also additional thresholds of success and failure. Hmm, thanks for pointing that out.

Part of my hesitation is having to track lots of little bonuses instead of just a few meaningful ones, so we'll still have to see if it gets nitpicky and overfilled, but it isn't trivial as expected because of the mechanical advances they are doing around the rolls.

Staffan

Legend
It rings a bell, like some game or starter set has done it sometime...

Pathfinder's Beginner Box does something like it. However, it fails somewhat in that beginner-Pathfinder is not quite the same as proper Pathfinder - for example, it does not have attacks of opportunity, and instead outright forbids casting spells or using ranged weapons in melee. That makes its use as a teaching tool somewhat limited - something the developers have stated themselves, and they've said that if/when they make a similar product for PF2, it will follow the actual rules.

You also have the Beginner boxes for the various Star Wars games from FFG. They all follow the same formula: present a series of encounters that gradually explain how the game works, and they also offer a web enhancement that provides further adventures once you know the game. Again, they suffer slightly from not quite following the "proper" rules - the most annoying bits from my perspective is that they use a generic Pilot skill (instead of having it split into Pilot (Planetary) and Pilot (Space) as the "real" game does) and that the pregens use custom talent trees that mix and match from the various subclasses. These are both issues that would create difficulties in "graduating" to the "real" game. Certainly not insurmountable difficulties, but difficulties. That said, the Age of Rebellion beginner box followed by the web enhancement adventure is some of the best fun I've had as a GM, and I strongly recommend it to anyone who's up for some Rebel Alliance action.

benofwater

First Post
Wasted words

I hope they ditch the "X Casting" in the spell statblocks. It's clutter and redundant. "[A] V [A] S [A] M" would be better. You only have to define "V", "S", and "M" once in the Spellcasting chapter.

Is the unmodified damage for sling bullets 1d6 + 1, or is this evidence of Dex-to-damage being a thing?

These character sheets only show final results. I like to show the math on my character sheets.

Space on the page has always been an issue for Paizo. The often say in Threads that they did something because they ran out of space, so I agree that they need to use it wisely. "Casting" does not need to be repeated.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So, what is the meaning of "Power" on the Cleric's spell list? It shows Fire Ray as a power; is that different from a spell?

Yes and no. A power is considered a spell for the purpose of rules that care about whether or not something is a spell (so, for example, they can be Counterspelled.) However, powers are not prepared in spell slots like other spells are. Instead, they are cast by spending Spell Points. This system is meant to unify all the various spell-like abilities classes might grant that each had their own individually limited uses, such as a Cleric's Channel Divinity.

I think the +1 is for Propulsive which appears all the way at the end of the second page.

I hope they ditch the "X Casting" in the spell statblocks. It's clutter and redundant. "[A] V [A] S [A] M" would be better. You only have to define "V", "S", and "M" once in the Spellcasting chapter.

Is the unmodified damage for sling bullets 1d6 + 1, or is this evidence of Dex-to-damage being a thing?

These character sheets only show final results. I like to show the math on my character sheets.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads