Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder 2e: is it RAW or RAI to always take 10 minutes and heal between encounters?

What I gathered from previous discussions on the topic is the possible encounter band is simply wound way too tight in PF2. Instead of level +4, folks would like more in the range of level +6-8 which aligns with older RPG systems. Seems PWL variant can help achieve this.

PWL probably does given how the math works in that, but having an 8-level range along with the "Weak" and "Elite" tags (Wounded dragons, elite mercenaries, etc) should work to give things variety. The bigger thing I think is that what are your expectations of going into an encounter? Does every encounter have to have a reasonable chance of win/loss?

This isn't to say that it's perfect for it, but rather I want to get at what people look at in a sandbox. For me, the players should be able to go out and find things, research things back home, have encounters won't be able to win and will either have to avoid or retreat from them. I think PF2 does that fairly well, and allows a GM to know going in how difficult an encounter is going to be before the players get there. Now for some that might be not what they want in a sandbox, that no one should quite know what is going to happen when going into an encounter. I respect that and understand it, though it's not for me nowadays.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
PWL probably does given how the math works in that, but having an 8-level range along with the "Weak" and "Elite" tags (Wounded dragons, elite mercenaries, etc) should work to give things variety. The bigger thing I think is that what are your expectations of going into an encounter? Does every encounter have to have a reasonable chance of win/loss?
For me, I like players being able to punch above their weight. I don't think stock PF2 really allows them to do this. Also, this is a bit skill play old school, I like the players being able to use environment, spells, items, etc.. to their advantage to make a fight they otherwise would lose. PF2 math doesn't allow that to work. As was mentioned also earlier, PF2 is like dragonballz in which level is just a simple barrier. "Must be this tall to ride" kind of thing.
This isn't to say that it's perfect for it, but rather I want to get at what people look at in a sandbox. For me, the players should be able to go out and find things, research things back home, have encounters won't be able to win and will either have to avoid or retreat from them. I think PF2 does that fairly well, and allows a GM to know going in how difficult an encounter is going to be before the players get there. Now for some that might be not what they want in a sandbox, that no one should quite know what is going to happen when going into an encounter. I respect that and understand it, though it's not for me nowadays.
I think for me the CR in PF1 never being accurate was a feature. It gave a variety to encounters that PF2 math bolted down. All encounters feel the same at their respective level. So, an open world feels more like a compartmentalized one as opposed to an actual ecosystem.

Retreater

Legend
Cult of Cinders (Age of Ashes 2) was mostly a hexcrawl, albeit one with a direction ("Go find and destroy these things and then deal with the real bad guys"). That worked fine, but was limited in scope.
What ended up happening when I ran that adventure was the following:
Party had a TPK during the hexcrawl. New party had no logical way to start the adventure or connection to the 1st adventure (which was set up very well, btw).
We were averaging a TPK every other session.
Age of Ashes was too lethal to maintain a sense of continuity. Since we were playing it in an attempt to test the system, the players didn't want me to tinker with the AP very much.
So I take they were like "we just crush soul gem" instead of taking it with them and realizing what they can do with it in workshop.
"It is valuable, so let's sell it." The portrait of the evil caster that could've been used in the encounter was also "it's valuable, so let's sell it."
I can't fault them for selling "story items" when they want to purchase new gear, especially when they felt they were falling behind compared to the high challenge monsters - barely able to hit or damage some of them.

For me, I like players being able to punch above their weight. I don't think stock PF2 really allows them to do this. Also, this is a bit skill play old school, I like the players being able to use environment, spells, items, etc.. to their advantage to make a fight they otherwise would lose. PF2 math doesn't allow that to work. As was mentioned also earlier, PF2 is like dragonballz in which level is just a simple barrier. "Must be this tall to ride" kind of thing.

I mean, players can do all those things and it'll still work. The math is tighter, but it doesn't mean those things don't factor in; they absolutely can, especially if the CR is high due to numbers. And you can still win battles the old school way: by not fighting them but luring people into a trap or some such thing outside of combat: back in the day I remember a GM letting us kill a dragon with a rockslide, which was totally a GM call. But that's less of a system thing and more of a style thing, which to me is a big part of sandboxing.

I think for me the CR in PF1 never being accurate was a feature. It gave a variety to encounters that PF2 math bolted down. All encounters feel the same at their respective level. So, an open world feels more like a compartmentalized one as opposed to an actual ecosystem.

Yeah, gotta disagree hard with this. I like having info be accurate. "Variety" to me is not "Oh wow, I just TPK'd a party because the game sucks at its monster math" or "Man, my players blew through that because this monster is rated improperly", it's "Wow, these fights feel different because the monsters and environments are forcing me to do different things". If you don't like tight math, I can get that. But bad math is never good, sometimes people just manage to forgive it.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I mean, players can do all those things and it'll still work. The math is tighter, but it doesn't mean those things don't factor in; they absolutely can, especially if the CR is high due to numbers. And you can still win battles the old school way: by not fighting them but luring people into a trap or some such thing outside of combat: back in the day I remember a GM letting us kill a dragon with a rockslide, which was totally a GM call. But that's less of a system thing and more of a style thing, which to me is a big part of sandboxing.
Its true, much of this is a rulings over rules approach. Im not sure what PF2 design thinks on that. I've assumed it was more rules over rulings.
Yeah, gotta disagree hard with this. I like having info be accurate. "Variety" to me is not "Oh wow, I just TPK'd a party because the game sucks at its monster math" or "Man, my players blew through that because this monster is rated improperly", it's "Wow, these fights feel different because the monsters and environments are forcing me to do different things". If you don't like tight math, I can get that. But bad math is never good, sometimes people just manage to forgive it.
Part of it wasnt so much loving bad math, it was just experiencing what the real variance is. GM experience was huge in running successful PF1. PF2 took out the guess work but also the variety.

Its true, much of this is a rulings over rules approach. Im not sure what PF2 design thinks on that. I've assumed it was more rules over rulings.

PF2 looks towards rules, but it doesn't mean you can't make rulings, especially in this regard. Typically speaking what PF2 does is give you systems you can work within, like the VP system that @kenada brings up a bunch. Outside of combat I think things are generally way more open.

Part of it wasnt so much loving bad math, it was just experiencing what the real variance is. GM experience was huge in running successful PF1. PF2 took out the guess work but also the variety.

I guess, though I generally don't like that sort of uncertainty. YMMV.

Thomas Shey

Legend

Well, there's another issue with sandboxes that was even true in the old days; how easy is it to retreat? Alternatively, how consistent is the warning that you're getting in over your head? Without these two being handled well, even a OD&D sandbox was a deathtrap looking for a place to happen.

Thomas Shey

Legend

Please don't take it wrong but--if CR isn't to define the actual hazard of the encounter, what's the point?

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
I’m skeptical. Pathfinder 2e wouldn’t be my first choice for those kinds of games, but it seemed to do okay when I ran them with it. My issues with the system ultimately came down to my evolving system preferences rather than systemic problems. I also believe @The-Magic-Sword is doing some sandbox stuff as well, and that seems to be going okay.
Its going pretty well at this point, every time I start to worry the whole thing is collapsing in on me we have a really good game session and it gives me a reality check that it's actually going great. At this point I'm letting it go for a while and then I'm planning to make a big post, since people have indicated an interest in it once I've got a nice accumulation going.

Also fun fact: Our first session included random table results where players lucked into a key for a sealed door in another hex I was certainly not expecting them to find in session 1 and ended up being lured and trapped into the center room of this map, by a pack of ghouls and a ghast that would have been a severe encounter for a group of level 3 players (they were level 1) they actually all made it out alive, and destroyed the ghouls to a man in the process, despite having to fish their healer out of the hole first which they had jumped to the bottom of prior to the ghouls flooding the room. Dedicated healing via the heal spell (which also damages undeadwas vital, and our Armor Inventor's High AC and AOE damage helped a lot.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases