• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 2nd Edition (no, don't get excited!)

paladinm

First Post
I know a lot of people like the "goodies" given to each class in PF. I'm not one of them. For my experience, all the many new choices just complicate and slow-down character creation. If 3.5 was panned for too many feats, PF has the same problem magnified. I'd like to see all the hundreds of feats severely pruned-back, and perhaps limited to combat-related feats. That would be a good way of balancing the casters and non-casters.

When it comes to new class features, fighters and rogues might have needed them, but the casters didn't. If casters were too powerful (relatively) before PF, they are even moreso in PF.

Varthol

First Post
re

Well many spells have been nerfed in PF (some more than others) so that kind of outbalances things. And the CoDzilla-type builds have also been significantly nerfed.

Wik

First Post
My few thoughts on it:

1) Build class archetypes into the game from the get-go. Perhaps it'd be cool if every class was structured like the rogue - a few core abilities, and then you pick and choose your talents.

2) Fix the hit point system so constitution isn't absolutely necessary for all PCs, sort of like how 4e did it (I like the 4e hit point system.... at least, I like the core idea).

3) Clean up movement rules, opportunity attacks, combat maneuvers, and all that jazz. No Opportunity attacks for standing up, either. Gah.

4) Smaller stat blocks, please.

5) Fewer PC inputs into character creation. In other words, make PC generation less "build centric". It'll never happen, but I know I'd love it.

6) More GM tools for shaping a campaign, and making a campaign more personal and unique.

Matthias

Explorer
I know a lot of people like the "goodies" given to each class in PF. I'm not one of them. For my experience, all the many new choices just complicate and slow-down character creation. If 3.5 was panned for too many feats, PF has the same problem magnified. I'd like to see all the hundreds of feats severely pruned-back, and perhaps limited to combat-related feats. That would be a good way of balancing the casters and non-casters.

When it comes to new class features, fighters and rogues might have needed them, but the casters didn't. If casters were too powerful (relatively) before PF, they are even moreso in PF.

All the many new choices and oodles of feats only slows down and complicates character creation for someone who's never played Pathfinder before. Once I got used to having all the extra material, I realized I didn't really need to absorb it all at once--and then the problem evaporated. If I want to play a Sorcerer, I figure should browse the bloodlines and pick out one that looks fun to play on a glance, and forget the rest.

Thotas

First Post
All the many new choices and oodles of feats only slows down and complicates character creation for someone who's never played Pathfinder before. Once I got used to having all the extra material, I realized I didn't really need to absorb it all at once--and then the problem evaporated. If I want to play a Sorcerer, I figure should browse the bloodlines and pick out one that looks fun to play on a glance, and forget the rest.

Exactly. If you start a character at first level, they're simple enough for you to learn how they work. Then they change slowly enough that you can keep up with the rules that are relevant. The GM's got it a bit harder, of course, but still only needs to know the material he's using. In the case of a prewritten adventure, if it's well done, it's all there. If the GM creates it on their own, they can stay inside whatever their limits are at this time. Even back in the days of 1e, I would tell people who looked at "all those books" that it wasn't like you needed to know all those rules, just the ones you're using. And now that it's reached the point of "all those shelves of books", that's still true.

Systole

First Post
  • Fix monks and rogues
  • Cut back a bit on casters / buff melee at higher levels
  • Nerf summoners
  • Get rid of the crappy archetypes
  • Streamline the trait system
  • Fix the Perception skill
  • Cut back on AoOs for better battlefield mobility (or at least improve Acrobatics/Tumble)
  • Balance feats
  • Better selection of base races

Remove ads