• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder First Print Run Sold Out

Banshee16

First Post
Congrats Paizo! I've been waiting for this one for awhile. I was pretty impressed with the improvements made in the Beta ruleset.

As to sales numbers, I won't say "who cares". Obviously, it's a matter of interest. But they're not a publicly traded company.

They're definitely far smaller than WotC. I'm sure the print run is smaller than the print run for 4E was. But Paizo made their print run, they've sold out, and that's an accomplishment in itself. Regardless of the size of the print run, it's evidently doing well enough for their company, at their size, to see it as a success.

Really, that's all that matters.

I'm looking forward to getting my copy, though, if the print run was sold out, I may be waiting until November :( Unless I can still pre-order through Amazon at this point.

Banshee

The videogame idea kind of excites me. Because D&D's fortunes are mired in with Atari for the forseeable future AFAIK, a Pathfinder game might be the best chance we have at seeing a really awesome turn-based non-Japanese fantasy sword-fighting dragon-slaying adventure thing within the next decade! That would be hell of awesome.

It's keen that you guys sold out of your first print run. There's obviously real demand out there, and you don't have the weight of the D&D brand name to sell books for you, so that's doubly impressing. Pathfinder has it's own weight behind it!

Hope you can keep the steam up! In this industry, that is very hard without the edition treadmill. But maybe you'll use the edition treadmill? Whatever, that's 8 years in the future, for now, thumbsup, dudes.

I agree with KM on this one. A Pathfinder video game would rock! Why arn't you working on this? And where is that Pathfinder (RPG) TV show? I demand to see the Pathfinder Iconics in animated form!

Aus_Snow

First Post
Graphic novels, I could see. Actually, maybe computer games too. Animated show. . . I dunno. But if it did happen, well, good on them of course. Taking all of the previous post at face value for the hell of it, here. :)

Samuel Leming

First Post
Congragratulations. I knew 18 months ago when I first signed up that you guys would be successful and the sky is still the limit.
It's keen that you guys sold out of your first print run. There's obviously real demand out there, and you don't have the weight of the D&D brand name to sell books for you, so that's doubly impressing. Pathfinder has it's own weight behind it!
Certainly. Over four pounds I'm told.
Kamikaze Midget said:
Hope you can keep the steam up! In this industry, that is very hard without the edition treadmill. But maybe you'll use the edition treadmill? Whatever, that's 8 years in the future, for now, thumbsup, dudes.
The edition treadmill is akin to a petri dish of bacteria chocking to death on its own excrement. If there's a group that can avoid that route it's Paizo!

A couple of rule books a year, with one of them usually being a bestiary, will be plenty to drive sales for their adventure paths and supporting material. Expecially if...
AKA: with each developing day, I am more and more convinced that things like pre-painted plastic minis (and video games, and movies, and LARPs, and genetically-engineered for-real goblin dogs) are more and more possible.

So! Stay tuned!
they can branch out into licensing. They don't need a new edition if a video game and or movie drives a second or even third wave of fresh sales of their core book and adventure paths.

Yep, the sky's the limit. I'll pass on the LARPs and genetically-engineered dogs though...

Roman

First Post
Congratulations Paizo! I am glad that it is selling so well. Now get that second print ready quickly - being in Slovakia at the moment I will probably not manage to get my hold on a first-print book.

Invisible Stalker

First Post
Hopefully that's not taking into account books for sale at Gen Con. I plan on being one of the first in the doors when it opens on Thursday, and I'm headed straight for the Paizo booth to get my own copy of Pathfinder.

I wonder how close Paizo's booth is to the front door. This is going to be like the charge to Space Mountain when Disneyworld opens. We need video! :p

The videogame idea kind of excites me. Because D&D's fortunes are mired in with Atari for the forseeable future AFAIK, a Pathfinder game might be the best chance we have at seeing a really awesome turn-based non-Japanese fantasy sword-fighting dragon-slaying adventure thing within the next decade! That would be hell of awesome.

This is highly unlikely due to OGL restrictions. Remember the core of Pathfinder is easily traced to its SRD roots. The OGL, while friendly to dead-tree publishing, is far less friendly to computer programs. The problem is good old section 8 of the OGL:
OGL section 8 said:
8. Identification: If you distribute Open Game Content You must clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing are Open Game Content.
How does one do this in a computer program? If you examine the existing 3.x compatible computer tools 3rd parties created they had to jump through hoops to separate the Open Content from the source code in order to comply with the license. That is also why there weren't 4000 different character generators for 3.x. The ones that didn't understand the difficulties of compliance were smacked down and that was the majority of them.

Something tells me if someone were to attempt to put out an SRD based computer game WotC would assert their rights in the license to demand to audit compliance with the license. You can argue whether or not that would stand up in a courtroom but getting to the courtroom will cost as much as developing 2-3 video games so what video game company is going to take this risk?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads