Savage Pathfinder Pathfinder for Savage Worlds Is Live!

The Kickstarter for Pathfinder for Savage Worlds is live! It includes two boxed sets -- the...

The Kickstarter for Pathfinder for Savage Worlds is live! It includes two boxed sets -- the Rise of the Runelords adventure path and a core rules boxed set which includes the Savage Pathfinder core book, a bestiary, and a ton of additional material.

The big question -- how do they do classes? -- is answered. Classes are replicated via Edge trees; one for each traditional Pathfinder class.

Two of the designers -- Chris Warner and Mike Barbeau -- appeared on our podcast last week to talk all about it.

You can grab it digitally for $25, the core rules hardcover is $50, the core boxed set is $200, and both boxed sets together comes to $300.
1.png

innerdude

Legend
I mean, I'll have to see. I can't imagine a single thing that would improve 5e's implementation on Roll20, especially now that I can import maps from PDFs, create tokens, add line of sight, create custom creatures when needed, all in a matter of a few minutes. Plus it has official support for WotC products, already put in there for me.
If I was going to try to run something other than 5e that it doesn't handle well (like PF2), I would perhaps look into another VTT. Maybe if I eventually get around to running Savage Worlds or WFRPG (provided they are still legitimately supported on Foundry, and if they are well executed).

Well, my comments are definitely colored by the perspective that I couldn't care less about Foundry's support for D&D 5e, because I don't and never will play it.

If your primary purpose was to play 5e, and get as much "officially supported" content as humanly possible, then yeah, Fantasy Grounds might be your best bet.

I will never, ever in my life encourage anyone to use Roll20. Outside of anything written by Oracle, I've never seen so many poor design choices embedded into a single piece of software.

Retreater

Legend
Well, my comments are definitely colored by the perspective that I couldn't care less about Foundry's support for D&D 5e, because I don't and never will play it.

If your primary purpose was to play 5e, and get as much "officially supported" content as humanly possible, then yeah, Fantasy Grounds might be your best bet.

I will never, ever in my life encourage anyone to use Roll20. Outside of anything written by Oracle, I've never seen so many poor design choices embedded into a single piece of software.
I have one game that is still on 5e because it's familiar to everyone. The others are OSR which are mostly just using it for die rolling and maps. But everyone started on Roll20 for its relative ease of use with 5e and its ability to work within certain technical limitations (browser based, no downloads, works on Chromebooks).
Changing horses midstream when everyone is overwhelmed with a pandemic and other real world issues (new babies for four players across my groups) isn't something I want to add to my players' plates right now. If they are happy with Roll20 for now, then I will be too.

Retreater

Legend
To get back on track discussing the product, I was just curious to see the absolute cheapest way to play Runelords with hard copy products. The size of Savage Worlds books are probably close to the pocket line from Paizo. So we have a Pocket Core Rulebook ($23), Pocket Bestiary ($18), and Pocket Rise of the Runelords ($24), for a grand total of $65.
For the original, full MSRP cost of getting all this new back in 2007, you'd be looking at $120 for the 6 individual adventure books, $40 for the Bestiary, and $50 for the core rulebook ($210 total, or approximately $262 when adjusted for inflation).
So you're looking at spending $38 for a map, several decks of cards, counters, tokens, etc., beyond the cost of the original set in 2007. Not a bad deal when you think about it.

dbm

Savage!
Yes. Unfortunately, my only friend who has FGU (who is actually a professional Unity developer) has such trouble getting FGU to work that he claims it is actually worse than Classic.
I’m not trying to sell you on it :). If others are wondering about platforms, however, then FGU has massively stabilised in the last six weeks or so. It has gone from Beta with approximately four drops per week to a release with only one code drop every couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Retreater

Legend
I’m not trying to sell you on it :). If others are wondering about platforms, however, then FGU has massively stabilised in the last six weeks or so. It has gone from Beta with approximately four drops per week to a release with only one code drop every couple of weeks.
That's good to know. The last time I heard anything was that it was still a pretty unstable platform and didn't really offer any improvements over Classic (while being less reliable). The fans I've talked to love it regardless and I never felt I could get a straight answer.

dbm

Savage!
That’s just the nature of re-platforming. You always end up with less capability, initially, and there is a pain barrier to go through.
On the flip side, me and our other GM both have Macs, so FGC would have been a non-starter for us!

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
I can't imagine a single thing that would improve 5e's implementation on Roll20,
For me, the tipping point was when I found the automation module for Foundry that lets players click on an enemy (or multiple enemies) to target them, then click on their attack or spell, and have the VTT roll the attack, compare to the targets AC, roll damage (checking for resistances), change hit points, and auto-roll a concentration check if necessary.

But that's all third-party mods. It definitely takes some setup.

anyway, that's all off-topic here. Super-excited for this! I've never been able to get my D&D group into Pathfinder (more complicated while also being too similar, so there was rules confusion between games). But I think I can get them to try an entirely different system. (If not, I guess I'll make a second group lol)

Last edited:

Retreater

Legend
I wonder if there will be new art....that'd probably the only reason why I'd back it.
Everything I've seen so far (based on the KS promotion) has been recycled from previous releases. That said, the last time Pinnacle did something like this (taking an existing IP and converting it to SW - which was the Rifts KS), they did get a lot of new (and quite good) art.

Remove ads

Remove ads