Pathfinder OGL/3.5 RPG system from Paizo

BryonD

Hero
SteveC said:
I just wanted to say that "just because" is certainly not the primary reason I believe people will change.
Well, you predicted a 90% drop in Paizo sales. That would require "just because". I don't question any of the reasons you have offered as legitimate. But a large chuck of Paizo's sales are not going to be covered by your list.

JoshuaFrost

First Post
buzz said:
So, the final product will not be available as a free PDF, correct?

Which is fine, as giving it away free as a PDF seems too good to be true. :)

The finished Pathfinder RPG will be released as both a hardcover and a PDF--neither of which will be free. :)

Cthulhudrew said:
Is Paizo limiting this playtest and feedback to the community, or are you all working with/talking to other 3rd party publishers who may have an interest in additional 3.X rules support for their own products, and taking feedback from them?

I'm curious as to the extent (if any) of the Open Source movement among the 3rd party publishers as it pertains to the existing D20/OGL, primarily.

We are not in anyway limiting the feedback from the playtest. We want everyone's feedback. I sent a version of the press release to our distributors and retailers yesterday even asking for their feedback. We've sent Alpha Release 1 to other third party publishers (I can't say who at this time ... or maybe ever, really) and I know of a few third party publishers who downloaded Alpha Release 1 yesterday and have commented on it. It'll be up to those manufacturers to decide if the finished PRPG is a system they want to support since we're releasing it as (largely) open content. (You can see what's open and not open on the title page of Alpha Release 1.)

ivocaliban

First Post
I'm very pleased and intended to show my support for Paizo and their decision with my wallet. What WotC was to me from 2000-2007, Paizo will be from 2008 on. That is, they'll be receiving the bulk of my roleplaying budget and will serve as the springboard for most of my future purchases.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
BryonD said:
Well, you predicted a 90% drop in Paizo sales. That would require "just because". I don't question any of the reasons you have offered as legitimate. But a large chuck of Paizo's sales are not going to be covered by your list.
Well truth be told, I did say 85-90%, and remembering the last comment I made on this subject some time ago, I think the single biggest factor will be the "Look! SHINY!" of the new books. Is that tantamount to being "just because?" Maybe.

Still, that's what my instincts tell me, from living through all of the different editions so far. It certainly is a case of "your mileage may vary."

I also just wanted to make sure and say that I'm not trying to be snarky here: I have a lot of respect for the people on this board, and even though we disagree I think we all want the same things in the end: good gaming.

To perhaps turn this around a little bit, I have looked over the Pathfinder PDF and didn't find anything particularly inspiring, nor did I see it addressing the key problems most commonly expressed with 3X. If you like it, tell me what I'm missing. I have been known to be wrong on occasion, so how does the Alpha bring the awesome?

--Steve

Brennin Magalus

First Post
Whisperfoot said:
I'd just like to point out that IBM no longer manufactures IBM PCs. Nevertheless, the IBM PC is the market leader. It is possible that when WotC let the genie out of the bottle by releasing 3.0 under the OGL, they too ensured that they will eventually no longer be in the D&D business. Sure it will take years to happen, but given their parent company's tendency to cancel games that are making a profit and the innovation occurring in 3rd party publishing, it is a distinct possibility that the future of D&D may rest in the hands of companies like Paizo and Green Ronin.

Of course it is not my desire to see WotC get out of the D&D business, but based on what I'm reading online and the people I know in real life, there is a significant number of people who are bitter about the edition change this time around since it follows so close on the heels of 3.5 and have no intention to switch. It is possible that despite what WotC thinks and what the retailers are preparing for, 4th edition players might just be in the minority. If that's the case, existing 3.5 players will want continued support, and with Pathfinder, they will get it.

Don't muck up the thread with your reasoned argumentation. The sky is falling!

BryonD

Hero
SteveC said:
Well truth be told, I did say 85-90%, and remembering the last comment I made on this subject some time ago, I think the single biggest factor will be the "Look! SHINY!" of the new books. Is that tantamount to being "just because?" Maybe.
OK, thats pretty much what I saw. I think 85% -90% "and dropping" is fair to call 90%. ;)

Still, that's what my instincts tell me, from living through all of the different editions so far. It certainly is a case of "your mileage may vary."
And I think the YMMV is the important part.

I also just wanted to make sure and say that I'm not trying to be snarky here: I have a lot of respect for the people on this board, and even though we disagree I think we all want the same things in the end: good gaming.
Its all good with me.

To perhaps turn this around a little bit, I have looked over the Pathfinder PDF and didn't find anything particularly inspiring, nor did I see it addressing the key problems most commonly expressed with 3X. If you like it, tell me what I'm missing. I have been known to be wrong on occasion, so how does the Alpha bring the awesome?
Again, there is a sizable portion of the current 3X audience who are very concerned with 4E for one or more of a variety of reasons. It really doesn't matter if five different people have five completely different reasons. They want to play 3E and they don't want to go to 4E.

PF brings the awesome by establishing a continued community base for that gaming preference.

For me personally, the alpha so far is just fine. Nothing made me go Hell Yeah!!, but unlike 4E, nothing made me go Oh Hell!!!.

But the simple fact that it is going to support MY game makes me go HELL YEAH!!! I've been adapting all kinds of stuff for years now, so continuation of that doesn't even make me blink.

And the PF stuff did all look fine, so I'm open to just diving in to these changes just for change sake. (I'll say again that I was very excited when 4e was announced. I'm not at all adverse to change. It is simply the specific 4e changes that drove me away)

You said you were frustrated because Paizo won't be servicing you any more. Well imagine how I've felt knowing that WotC's work will be gone as far as I am concerned and not much sign of anywhere else to turn. Now I've got a base to turn to. THAT is the AWESOME.

And again, on the merits of the alpha, for one, I think the idea of open community input development over a year sounds fun. And also (and this isn't at you) I am amused at all the people saying we can't judge 4e yet because we don't know enough (even post DDXP) and yet they are already slamming a very incomplete partial draft that is intended to be a starting point for comment. That is funny.

Remove ads