Paizo Pathfinder Online To Shut Down November 28th

Aldarc

Legend
Again the real question is:
high quality GIF

Or is it just using the opportunity to push your off-topic gripes about PF2E into yet another thread?

Why is Paizo failing to make Pathfinder content use the 2E rules?

I would have thought the MMO was shut down simply because it uses an obsolete rules engine Paizo should want everybody to actively move away from...

I figured they'd close down their MMO because the MMO market is notoriously terrible to break into and incredibly costly. Plus given the 3 Action system, I'm not sure how you translate that into a real-time combat game.

The same with that Kingmaker game? Such a failure that Owlcat wasn't influenced to hold off until the playtest version of the 2E rules were published...

It's as if Larian had used 4E rules for Baldur's Gate 3.

229605382_385918589607943_276290559111576309_n.jpg

I'm sorry, but that idea is just nonsense. They pitched the idea to Paizo in 2016 and had to start working on it then, and then kickstarting it about half a year later. It's possible that Paizo wasn't even committed to a new edition at that time, but even if they were using playtest materials would be moronic: if you want an accurate game, you're not going to use materials that could drastically change in the meantime, especially when it comes to balance. Plus if the point is to promote 2E, you'd be better off waiting for 2E itself instead of trying to force the playtest rules which may not resemble it at all by the end, given that they'd have to start development incredibly early in the process to properly release it.

There is a literal, direct comparison here with D&D and I can't believe you missed it: it's Baldur's Gate 2. That game was released in 2000, almost with the same timing to the actual finished 3.0 rules as the Paizo Playtest release and Kingmaker release. Sure it's a franchise, but by your logic why would Wizards want them going forwards with their biggest video game franchise using older rules?

Last edited:

Whichever one I pledged to was supposed to give me a copy of the soundtrack, but I don't think I ever saw an email about it. I apparently should go look back for email on June 3, 2014.

1628015140408.png

I guess I could probably find the soundtrack on YouTube.

Last edited:

kenada

Legend
Supporter

Why is Paizo failing to make Pathfinder content use the 2E rules?

I would have thought the MMO was shut down simply because it uses an obsolete rules engine Paizo should want everybody to actively move away from...
Pathfinder Online didn’t use the 1e ruleset. It did its own thing. That’s the least of its problems. Pathfinder Online was designed as a gankbox. It should have been more like DDO and a lot less like Eve Online.

The same with that Kingmaker game? Such a failure that Owlcat wasn't influenced to hold off until the playtest version of the 2E rules were published...
Given the scope and timeline from when its Kickstarter until its release, Pathfinder: Kingmaker had to have been in development for some time before it was announced. It wouldn’t have made financial sense to sit on the game for a year or two while the second edition rules were finished.

It's as if Larian had used 4E rules for Baldur's Gate 3.
Like how Baldur’s Gate II was released after the release of 3e but used the AD&D rules?

Edit: @Justice and Rule beat me to it! 🙃

CapnZapp

Legend
Like how Baldur’s Gate II was released after the release of 3e but used the AD&D rules?
I'm not familiar, but yes, that might be an equally baffling case.

Of course, displaying the same level of business acumen than late-era TSR (I'm just guessing that WotC inherited that mess) is not exactly a glowing recommendation!

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I'm not familiar, but yes, that might be an equally baffling case.

Of course, displaying the same level of business acumen than late-era TSR (I'm just guessing that WotC inherited that mess) is not exactly a glowing recommendation!

Creatives being bad at business is a time-honored thing.

Remove ads