• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder overhaul suggestions, pt. 2

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
Have you posted this at Paizo's site? It's an interesting idea they may want to look at it.

Freakohollik

First Post
So we allow buffs and debuffs of the same type to "stack" with each other? In that case I am guessing buffs of one type still do not stack with buffs of the same type, and likewise for debuffs. If thats the case I think it would be easier to think of it as 6 categories, where you have your magic buff, magic debuff, morale buff, morale debuff, circumstance buff, and circumstance debuff.

Also in your post you mention that since there are only 3 buff types, you can only have 3 buffs on you at any time. Does this mean if someone casts a +AC spell on you and someone else casts a +Saves spell on you don't get both?

Some nuances, but I really like this idea. Have you posted this on the paizo forums? Last I was there everyone was talking about their own ideas and ignoring everyone else.

joela

First Post
Paizo

Gotham Gamemaster said:
I'm liking the simplification as well. Although Power Bonus seems like it should just be called Magic Bonus (less 4e sounding, to boot).

I hope Jason and the other Paizo staff begins to visit here to contribute to these discussions.

-peter

I believe Jason's at Origins this week.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:
I used power bonus because most effects that grant morale bonuses are also magical in nature. Maybe I should go for "prowess bonus"?

Are there any internals that aren't ability scores?

FWIW I believe Hero system makes a distinction between base and derived attributes.

As I hinted above, personally I don't see any need to actually reduce the named bonus types (morale, enhancement, inherent, sacred, deflection, etc.). The actual number of different named bonuses don't bother me; and actually I like that the definitions are extensible. (It's also more backwards compatible.)

I believe the actual problem is on-the-fly (mid-combat) recalculation, and the short-term/long-term split alone should fix it:

1) Short term buffs/debuffs have a short casting time, and can only affect externals.

2) Long term buffs/debuffs have a long (non-combat) casting time, and can only affect internals.

Speed might actually be considered an internal attribute - it affects your Jump skill modifier, for example. Not that it matters as much as attack bonus or Reflex, but well, it's there. ;)

boerngrim

Explorer
I think you're on to something here RangerWickett. Ability damage, ability drain, negative levels, Righteous Might, Bull's Strength, etc., which all affect internal numbers have repeatedly ground sessions to a stand still while everyone does the math.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads