Pathfinder play report

The1exile

Villager
I've posted a couple of times on here to ask for advice and resources to run this campaign, and really enjoyed reading what others have done with their campaigns, so I'd like to share the report on how my group's Pathfinder game is going. We started this campaign near the end of June and have played about 7 or 8 sessions so far. This is my first time running Pathfinder (I'm a veteran GM of 7th Sea, but not so much the square-based roleplaying systems) I was inspired to write this because of a crowning moment of awesome that happened during The Dying Skyseer. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

First things first, the cast of heroes for this adventure:
Less, half-elf Monk, Martial Scientist and friend to orphans everywhere,
Silas, human Investigator, Yerasol veteran and flagrant racist towards tieflings,
Arla, human weather Druid and Skyseer. Queen of crowd control,
And finally, Asimov, an eladrin Rogue Technologist. The somewhat misanthropic face of this ragtag bunch of constables.

Without going too in depth, the first adventure went reasonably smoothly. The party managed to avert the blowing up of the Coaltongue by channelling the heat into the Brand with one round left to go, saved the goblin rogue from the infiltration team and subsequently talked down Asrabey. They killed the earth elemental when claiming the icons, but used the air elemental to good effect when taking the lighthouse. Symbolically, Silas signed control of the island away to Lya Jierre.

In the second adventure, our heroes thoroughly investigated the Danoran embassy and discovered a whole bunch of leads. They tracked von Recklinghausen to his rooms, finding that they'd been beaten to the punch by someone connected with the strange burnt oil. They chased down one of his contacts, but Barnaby Camp was unable to help them much, other than to tell them what he was doing in Risur. Less befriended the cab driver by paying for von Recklinghausen's dumped fare and a bit more besides in exchange for keeping an eye out for Deorn Feldman.

Investigations in the Thinking Man's Tavern that evening led the group to Tad Hilly (a name that caused no end of sniggering) and despite Asimov's foot-in-mouth moment by arguing with Barb about Nilasa's moral merits, Less and Silas argued with enough passion with Hennet for him to agree to give them information about Nilasa's connections to the Cloudwood and the Crisilliyri. The party split for the evening and the next morning filed a request for the report on Nilasa's arrest. While waiting for it, they found and interviewed Heward Sechim (quickly nicknamed Hewlett Packard) who told them about the troubles in the district, his concerns about Nilasa's company, and mentioning the threats he had received about his business. He asked the party to help his uncle, who had warned Heward of Nilasa's demise and who was influential with the fey terrorist Gale, who the party believed was linked due to Nilasa's flight magic. After returning to HQ and receiving Nilasa's report, they took a boat to the Estuarial reformatory and eventually managed to bargain information about the smuggling deal and the House Elf out of Ford Sorghum in exchange for releasing him and his partner on parole. Following their invite to the Theatre of Scoundrels on the way back to HQ, the party fell hook, line and sinker for Kell's tricks and were forced to agree to his terms, albeit with no intention of delivering any wands.

Their next stop the following day was the Cloudwood. Kell's goons were quickly dispatched, and although I held back all the bandits, who focussed their attention on rescuing the woman from the coach, Renard Woodsman and his druid soundly thrashed the party with the assistance of two summoned swarms. Eventually the party managed to plead for mercy to see Nevard, although not before Renard made his feelings clear during the negotiations by throwing one of the dying Kell brigands off the switchback.

The meeting with Nevard went far better, and the party agreed to make arrangements to accompany him up Cauldron Hill. A somewhat arduous journey to the Nettles met with success as after a short wait and brief chat with some staff the party was ushered in to meet Mayor Reed Macbannin who listened to their case and, eager to be associated with helping a famous skyseer, agreed to let them up Cauldron Hill. He offered some practical advice regarding protection from the spirits of the hill and the party organised a power nap before meeting Nevard to face the horrors of the mountain.

Once up the mountain, the session here was a bit of a slog. The party remained within the blood circle, and when the cackling crawler did its dance of death, the entire party except for Arla was dazed for 8 rounds and the only saving grace was that Arla's entangle had locked down the entire right side of the map, preventing them from being overrun by the mites. Unfortunately, even with ghost touch Arla missed the vestige of death 8 times in a row, bringing the party to the verge of death via spread charisma damage from the bonds of forced faith. Eventually she was forced to use obscuring mist, but this interrupted Nevard's observations of the skies and he joined the fight - with next to no impact as he repeatedly failed to hit the vestige with cure moderate wounds.

Upon returning down the mountain, Less fangirled out upon meeting Lieutenant Dale, but otherwise the party felt frustrated at a lack of progress as Nevard left to meditate upon what he had seen. The players wanted to just rest at Macbannin's manor again, and spent a long time trying to find the most optimal travel path to report while unsure of how to follow any more leads, since they couldn't yet meet Gale, didn't know how to find anything about the Crisillyri links and didn't put in any groundwork to track down apothecaries. I eventually prodded them into crashing at Heward Sechim's so that they could pass on the message about his factory being in danger. At this point, they called in some favours to essentially bring their in tray to them, including their cab driver reporting that Feldman was due in at Pine Island on the 4th but he couldn't say where. Upon being asked about the House Elf, he was only too happy to tell them about the amazing wizard who did a show over the lake. The party followed up this lead, busting the wizard with some characteristic straight talking from Silas (more than usual, considering the party was still suffering from severe charisma drain) and chasing the suspect through both of Two Fronts. After a tough stalemate, the party managed to negotiated with Danisca for the information in exchange for their lives. Gale's messenger arrived at his point to invite them to speak with her.

This session, the party started out preparing for the bust on the smuggling operation. They discussed with Delft who suggested calling in one of the RHC's boats for reinforcement, and the party leveraged Silas' reputation to get two constables of the RHC to pilot it while they went undercover with a chest of cutlery and bottletops covered with gold and some forged documents as payment for the wand trade. (I realise in retrospect that the money is supposed to be with Feldman. However, I couldn't figure out why Nilasa and the House Elf were connected, so I let the players pursue their plan.) Asimov smooth talked his way past the Bravuras and convinced Feldman that they were the backup plan put in place by the House Elf, since he was being watched by the RHC. They sailed out to the Ayres, with me feeling very nervous about how this fight was going to go down...

The party accompanied Feldman and their fake cash to the forecastle of the ship where they were greeted by Captain Amba Bandia. After exchanging some pleasantries, Captain Bandia asked to see the money, to which Asimov riposted "show me the goods". As the captain turned away, the group put their cunning plan into action with a surprise round:

First, Asimov shouted "well done captain Deorn for setting up this double cross!" in an attempt to confuse the sailors into engaging each other. Unfortunately, he got a 7 on his bluff. Less dropped the chest, Silas wrenched the wheel to cause Li Grifoni Grinyande into the smaller ship, knocking several sailors off the smaller boat or prone and finally, Arla cast obscuring mist, rendering the entire party untargetable by the vast number of now hostile sailors. With a case study in battlefield control, with Arla holding one set of steps and Asimov duelling Captain Bandia on the others, the party fought for several rounds, taking the occasional crossbow and wand shot in exchange for opportunity attacks. Many attacks were prevented by the mist on both sides - including Asimov who missed a confirmed crit to the vagaries of a 20% miss chance - but one of the greatest moments had to be when Arla exchanged castings of Grease wands with some sailors who then repeatedly failed to climb the steps to the sound of Yakety Sax. (Roll20's jukebox is a brilliant tool.) Finally, after defeating the two captains and with Asimov and Less forcing one of the Bravuras, who could see what was happening, to 1 hp, the bravura withdrew yelling to the crew that both captains were down.

Stepping forward through the mist, adopting a booming tone, Asimov declared "your captains have fallen, your lieutenants are running - surrender, and we will spare you..."

...and rolled a natural 20 on his intimidate check.

The sailor in front of him immediately threw down his weapon and cried out his surrender, followed moments later by the sound of a dozen other clunks from beyond the mist. Arla dismissed the mist, and after some out of character explaining about the limits of the surrender and the difficulty of arresting two dozen people with 4 constables, the party let the sailors go on the Silvio, arrested the two captains and took Li Grifoni Grinyande as evidence, complete with wands. They also agreed to transport two bravuras from the Family Wharf back to shore in exchange for their cooperation. (This will earn them brownie points with the Family, not that they know it yet). At the end of that fight, the only damage the party had taken was from Arla being hit with a wand of Magic Missile.

Since Saxby had been in the habit of chewing them out in her daily debriefs for doing things like meeting Kell, bothering Macbannin without her permission, not submitting a report on the night of the Cauldron Hill ascent etc the party decided to file a report straight to her when they got back to base at 3am and then crash at the office.

Less gets woken up at 7am and forced to report to Saxby who asks harsh questions about how this is related to the murder of Nilasa and sarcastically whether they think that the Crisillyris are likely to have the missing Danoran papers, but eases off a little when she hears they took advice from Delft and despite her harsh demeanour, it's clear she is impressed that the party managed to hijack a smuggler's vessel. She begrudgingly tells Less "good job", as she is dismissed, which makes Less' day.

Worried by the arson vision, the constables visit Heward Sechim's factory and when the man they had watching the factory told them Sechim had no guards at night after they had warned him, they headed in to have an argument with him about not taking their warnings seriously. Sechim assured them he did have guards, but in non-obvious places, since he wanted to catch the arsonists in the act.

Finally the constables met with a lieutenant of Kell's who took them to the doctor's hideout in the Nettles. Kell's underlings left while the party interrogated the doctor, who told them about witchoil and his side of the story. He negotiated with ther part that he would hand over the documents in exchange for a visa to Ber and protective custody, and we broke for the session there, on the cusp of an ambush, and freshly dinged to level 3.

Awesome write-up. It's great to hear how your game is going.

Your post got me to finally re read this adventure's Pathfinder stats, because multiple groups reported the cackling crawler being horrifying.

In 4e, dazed is the equivalent to "staggered" in PF. When our conversion guy did this adventure, he made that attack WAAAAAY more dangerous than the 4e version. Oops.

The1exile

Villager
Thanks! If you're taking tips on the Pathfinder balance, I'd also suggest reconsidering the incorporeal nature of a couple of the early monsters (like the Vestige of Death and the Shadow Stalker. In 4e, where I presume the monsters are insubstantial instead, having them take half damage isn't too bad. In pathfinder, though, they are flat out immune to any non-magical weapons (which my group didn't buy with their stipend, preferring to take defensive equipment) - which might not be so bad if there's a wizard and cleric in the party, but by the time my characters got the ghost touch ability from being charisma drained on Cauldron Hill, most of them were within one hit kill range from the Vestige of Death if it rolled high on the attribute damage. It's a really difficult feature to handle in the early levels - following the stipend rules, our monk can't even get the amulet of mighty fists until 3rd level, which happens after Cauldron Hill.

The1exile

Villager
We picked up after a pretty long break yesterday (one of the players was away and the rest of us were trying out 5th edition) and kicked off after recapping with the Nettles church ambush. I was very proud of my roll20 creation to handle the layers of hiding things from the players - http://i.imgur.com/LbuN9jk.jpg - but messed up a little by not immediately plunging the characters into darkness, which I could have gotten away with with a good surprise round, but all but Arla made their perception check, including the entirely uninjured von Recklinghausen. The fight was therefore somewhat uneventful, although they got a look at some of the shadow man's cooler powers and Asimov was repeatedly deafened, and the party successfully escaped the scene with Leone Quital (whose name I may have forgotten to mention in the monologuing since I was focussing on the accent...) in the Andy Dufresne manner.

With the documents secured, the party made their way back to Central to report. They met Delft, who took the opportunity to congratulate them on the daring capture of Li Grifoni Grifande (which of course has developed a life of its own, especially when the party said "we used druid magic and deceit!") and reminded them of the similarities to Aodhan's raid in the 3rd Yerasol War. When he heard about the Doctor, he got the debrief and was introduced to the doctor (who is in protective custody) ahead of going with the party to meet Saxby. I've been really pleased with how the debrief sessions have given the party ideas about the personalities of their bosses and this was a really good way to establish what everyone knows and tie the political themes together with the emergent conspiracy ahead of the reveals in the denouement.

Delft invited the whole party for drinks with the RHC to celebrate their capture of the ship but first the group tied up some other links - being invited to meet with Cippiano (who I fear won't have as much of an impact on the plot progression as I'd like), checking out the documents in detail, calling in some financial tracking with a favour (which will yield results later...) and most importantly, going to meet LeBrix for a professional chat with Asimov and Silas.

LeBrix tells them what he knows, which isn't much that the party didn't already have, but when the party share their leads he is able to tell them about the threats on his and his family's life made by the arsonists and gives Silas the vendetta bullets. From there the party heads to the police bar for some drinks and story sharing, and most stagger home in the late evening but Silas returns to HQ and strikes up a conversation with von Recklinghausen on the subject of surgery and magical healing (because he is on a quest to restore his face from some of the scars he picked up in the wars) but also as a fellow alchemist they trade some recipes.

The party meets before dawn - almost not doing so and as such resigning Sechim's factory to being burned down - but they arrive in time and Asimov strikes up a conversation with Eberado. (Incidentally, I missed that he apparently doesn't speak Primordial!) Armed with their vision and LeBrix's info though they weren't falling for it, and within the first round, before he even had a chance to act, Eberardo took a vendetta bullet straight through his skull courtesy of Silas's corrosive pistol and a x4 crit modifier. Since the other arsonists hadn't acted, and the tactics called for the arsonists to be lead in by the hulking barbarian, I basically had the entire group rout. The Flaming Sphere I allowed to be counteracted by Arla's aggressive thundercloud, while Asimov used his robot to drag the wagon into the river. The fleeing arsonists will be rounded up by Sechim's curiously absent guards. Less was unhappy about Silas' straight up murder, but he wasn't having it, arguing that they were a) obvious enemies of Risur and b) threatened another man's family.

At this point two urchins approach, who Less knows from her background with orphans. One of them tells them about the creepy warehouse, while the other delivers the note to Silas, appealing to his patriotism. When she finds out that "the shadow man" gave the urchin the note, Less (mildly hung over and already in a bad mood over the killing of an arsonist) is very annoyed by this and the party head straight of to the warehouse, to see what's going on. With Detect Planar Energy, they are able to find the place quickly and use their climbing to get up to the window, which gives them a better view of what is happening within. They jimmy the window open and sneak onto the catwalks, avoiding the Alarm spell and being able to get a good assessment of what is going on and of the golem with a good knowledge (engineering) check and some knowledge (arcana). They move in position to take out the technicians and the battle begins.

Generally I thought the party had a good tactical setup here. They were able to rain ranged attacks down on the technicians - Silas with a rifle, Asimov with a crossbow, and Arla with either her storm burst or a sling and bullets. But Less had no ranged options, and descended via the cages to fight the technicians (and ultimately the golem) in hand to hand combat.

The technicians are dropping fast, but the golem activates and moves up to slam into Less. She tries to employ a flurrying retreat onto the cages, but takes another hit, dropping her to 6 hp at this point. Asimov is moving around, ready to use their wand of cure wounds to try and fix up Less, who has opted at this point to take a total defence action.

At this point, the golem crits. And rolls a nat 19 on the confirm.

4d6 + 8 damage turns out to knock Less straight into the "below constitution score" part of negative hp and she instantly dies.

Silas' corroding bullets are doing work on the golem, with its terrible touch AC and the fact that the DR 5/adamantine does not apply to the acid damage, but Arla is essentially useless with her d4 sling bullets and Asimov's d hand crossbow is doing barely anything.

One of the players ran into internet problems at this point, so we had to pack it up mid fight, but the golem is at stage 2 and has attempted to knock down a part of the catwalk so far with a charging leap.

The1exile

Villager
Some GM questions:

I'm seriously worried that what was a cool fight (with the race against time and taking out the technicians) will devolve into a drag now that one of the two characters that was effectively capable of dealing damage to the golem is down and it feels like without any way to empower the druid and the rogue. In theory the rogue could be doing sneak attacks but I don't really know how. (Ranged feints? Does that even work vs a golem?) Does anyone have any tips on how they handled it? The druid is basically out of spells that aren't fog. I've considered having the crates filled with assorted military equipment that they could take, but I don't know if even that will help Arla, and I would prefer it to seem less Deus ex Machina-ish.

What happens to the remains of the golem (assuming they party doesn't wipe)? Does it also fade into the Bleak Gate?

I don't want to kick my player out, so I'm likely to have a new character come in via Sechim's mystery guards, although I'm considering giving him one of the B-team for the rest of this adventure and then having another character be recruited in the downtime between adventures. Has anyone else handled this?

Oof. Sorry about the PC death.

If you want to wrap up the fight quickly without it seeming too deus-ex-y, well, the machine already has gotten damaged and broken as the party beat on it. Maybe just have it rapidly break down at the start of the next session, where it eventually becomes disabled even if the party can't hurt it. But then its witchoil vessel cracks, the thing falls down, and it starts to heave and smolder as its engine builds up pressure toward an explosion. You could keep tension in the scene -- the party needs to get out of the area before it blows, but try to recover evidence (and their partner) first.

If I recall correctly, the golem's supposed to fade into the Bleak Gate too after a few minutes.

hirou

Explorer
The goal of the golem is not to assault PCs, but to cover technicians' escape. If PCs are incapacitated/seem to be like that (Bluff check to feign death maybe?), he's likely to return to his original orders, which is to transport engineers to Bleak Death via rusted ring and lantern in his chest as a ritual focus... One way I see to transform this from "TPK unless you're very lucky with rolls" to something like a group puzzle is to remind the group of their goal here (to seize evidence of rituals) and to make one of the PCs stumble upon a set of specific instructions for golem and go from there. Like this:
  • PCs see engineers calling for retreat with oh-so-subtle hints like (from one tech to another) "I'm outta here! And don't YOU forget to burn all the secret instructions on this table"
  • one of PCs hopefully gets the hint and runs for the table
  • among some evidence he sees important-looking page with arcane runes all over it and some human-readable list like: 1) protect people with brass rings on at all costs (I forgot, McBannin has brass ring or some other metal?) 2) upon code phrase "we're getting the hell outta here!" wait for person with brass ring to stay in iron ring on the floor and activate circuit 9 3) when there's no more people with brass rings, stand in the iron ring, activate circuit 9 and wait for instructions 4) preserve oneself 5) ... 6) PROFIT!
  • this depends on PCs IRL thinking, but hopefully they will do something from this information (you should think of some exploitable rules here), like fashioning themselves a brass ring to wear, breaking circuit 9 (lantern in golem's chest) to make him unable to fulfill his instructions or something like that.

The1exile

Villager
I totally forgot to update this! We reached the end of adventure 2, and are on a bit of a break at the moment.

With time to think about it, I avoided a lot of the difficulties of the golem by suggesting the use of some lightly reskinned called shot rules. Since the golem was already at stage 2, it was possible for the 3 surviving party members to take aim and fire into the chest cavity at the witchoil container. The speed boost in the final stage made it very dramatic as the PCs scrambled to get away from the golem as it tried to charge them down across the catwalks, terrified they were going to make it explode! In the aftermath, they found nearly everything intact and witnessed a few of the technicians fading as one of the PCs went to go fetch a meatwagon for Less' corpse. The druid tried to stop the apparent teleportation with the wand of Egal, to no effect, but they did manage to catch sight of the amulets. After going through the evidence, I was delighted to have Less' player figure out MacBannin's involvement (while of course, being unable to say anything) while the rest of the party were still wondering :D

I opted to introduce the new PC as an employee of Sechim's but the players agreed it didn't really work, so without a better suggestion, we retconned it to be someone else on the case. It was generally quite difficult to justify having someone else involved since the whole investigation is so delicate (and leads to the conspiracy) and I'm still unsure if there's a better way to bring someone in mid-adventure. The new character is a Slayer called Isamar Castillianos.

The rally was well handled but the characters were nearly murdered by the skeletons, so after they handled the jaguars ("bomb jaguars" as one player rechristened them, in light of their witchoil containers) I had them hear a scream of rage through the rusted rings and the skeletons collapsed. This also helped explain the role of the rings, which I thought they were a little unsure of. They didn't try to rip the chest plates off, since they're not a very Strength-heavy party but I did occasionally let them take called shots to the plate and make something up on the fly for extra damage. I made a newspaper report to spread Sechim's visions, which also doubles as a handy reference document for player notes.

Eventually the party arrange to meet Cippiano, who strikes a deal with them and generally does a decent job of convincing the party he's the good kind of bad guy primarily because my party loves cakes. They strike a deal to trade captain Bandia for the escaped half dragon, conditional upon being able to contact her if she's needed for evidence. Since the party was pretty merciful when they seized the ship and allowed the bravuras etc to leave and give a good report, it was a pretty genial negotiation on both sides. The half-dragon is delivered, along with the coffee press, which the party immediately conceals in Silas' alchemist lab :D

Finally, having got their man, the party has everything they need to put the pieces together and form a case. They interrogate Valando, who is terrified of Silas and refuses to talk when he's in the room, but quickly cracks and agrees to tell them everything about his hire in exchange for his deportation to Ber rather than being kept to face the wrath of Risuri natives. COmbined with the notes speaking of the manor reservoir and the paper trail from the documents recovered from Recklinghausen, the party has enough of a case to question Macbannin - they want to confiscate his documents to compare the handwriting with that recovered from the warehouse - and arrest Creed for his role in the arsons (source: Valando) and original embassy chase (source: LeBrix, but unofficially). They run it by Delft, go to Saxby to lay out the case who after some delays and questioning signs off their warrant, and they head to the Nettles to confront Macbannin.

The showdown goes perfectly. The party is nervous about stepping on Macbannin's toes, whose jovial nature and offers to show them around are definitely making them have second thoughts, but they are certain they have Creed over a barrel and aren't about to let up. As they're going to force the matter, the earthquake intervenes, allowing me to use the Druid's Knowledge (Geography) check - which had been a minor running joke through the campaign so far - for only the second time as the manor began to calve in twain.

The fight was brutal. MacBannin was closed down by Isamar but with the bonds of forced faith wasn't having to make concentration checks and was firing out curses and hexes. The first cackling madness curse caused Asimov to lash out, and he crit (with confirmation) Arla, who had been less careful than she should have been about staying near him, takng her out on the second or third round. The doppelganger curse handled the slayer nicely as her poor will saves but high damage meant she was going nuts. I didn't want to use the final curse until the house staff were down, but the party nova'd the hell out of Macbannin through the last couple of staff with use of sneak attacks (rogue and slayer) and touch AC pistol shot, so it didn't get used. Silas mostly fought with the Kell goons, one of whom ran off once Macbannin went down.

The party rushed to the shed (well, they took their sweet time healing up first until another tremor and Macbannin yelling at them suggested it might be time to hurry up) and they fought their way past more bomb jaguars and resisted the ambush by Creed and co. Silas' engineering knowledge allowed him to figure out most of the engine stuff, but even with me reading pretty much verbatim from the book, it was a struggle for the players (rather than the characters) to follow what they should be doing, which was a shame. Mostly the confusion came from the fact that turning the engine on upstairs didn't obviously solve all their problems. They failed the knowledge (planes) check for the eldritch machine, but did manage to get the whole apparatus working again properly and avert catastrophe.

The1exile

Villager
Overall, this has been a really great adventure, and I love how hooked on the story some of my players were when we finished the adventure! The characters are really well written and done properly the investigation ties its disparate hooks together really well. The epilogue of the adventure - where Macbannin is found in his cell, and Nevard's funeral is held - is beautifully evocative.

There are some gripes I have with it, mostly pathfinder specific, a few of which are new:

-It's really difficult for the party to stay on top of their healing needs, at least without a dedicated cleric. I did eventually nag them into getting a wand of cure light wounds, but it cost them 750gp for a 50 charge wand, as opposed to the free healing surges they would have had in 4e, for example.
-To make up for that, I invented a few roleplay reward boons, e.g. trading alchemist recipes with von Recklinghausen, and between this campaign and the next their connection with Sechim Jr. will allow them to get acidic-enchanted weapons at craft cost.
-Incorporeal and dazed against a party with no magic weapons. Ouch.
-I'm still not sure where the money that was supposed to go to the wands actually is.
-Even with literally everything (witness testimony, Recklinghausen and his documents recovered, LeBrix's cooperation, all the evidence from the warehouse) it's difficult for the party to feel really confident about confronting MacBannin, especially because (to toot my own horn) I think I played Saxby's role quite well to the point the party is scared of pissing her off.
-The final reservoir fight challenge is technically difficult to figure out even with all the GM information. I don't know if I could figure out the best method if I read everything in that section except for the part where it spells it out, to be honest, and that translated into my players.

Remove ads