Paizo Pathfinder Publisher Paizo Has A New President

Jim Butler is now president of Paizo, after Jeff Alvarez steps down on health grounds. Alvarez was promoted to president when CEO Lisa Stevens stepped aside from daily operations in June 2020. Jim Butler was previously VP of Marketing & Licensing.

butler.jpg

Jeff Alvarez has stepped down as president due to health reasons. Paizo has named Vice President of Marketing and Licensing, Jim Butler, as its new president.

“I have had the pleasure of working closely with Jim from his days at TSR through his time working on Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition at Wizards of the Coast, and now working with me at Paizo,” Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens said. Jim is a hardworking visionary whose almost three decades of game experience makes him the perfect person to guide Paizo into its third decade.”

“I’m grateful for the trust that Lisa and the Leadership Team have placed in me to lead Paizo,” Jim Butler said. “I look forward to working with my fellow employees to lead the company into the next era of tabletop excellence.”

Jim brings decades of gaming experience to his new role, including serving as Paizo’s vice president of marketing and licensing over the last five years. Before Paizo, he has worked at TSR, Wizards of the Coast, Warner Bros./Turbine, and Trion Worlds.

“I started my gaming career as an editor and game designer, switching over to marketing and brand management when Peter Adkison wanted ‘gamers with business degrees’ running Dungeons & Dragons,” Jim said. “It’s been an epic adventure so far, and I’m excited that a new chapter has begun.”

Jim lives in Redmond, WA with his husband, Matthew, and their fur-kids: Toker, Stella, and Skylar. He’s currently playing through volume 5 of the Pathfinder Return of the Runelords Adventure Path as a kobold druid and GMing the Extinction Curse Adventure Path for Pathfinder Second Edition.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I remember him being kind to me at a Gen Con in the early 2000s when I was shy and new. He was on the Bastion Press booth, and as I approached it he said "Hello Russ". I was literally speechless that anybody knew who I was. I probably came across as mumbling idiot to him, but I never forgot that. I'm sure he has forgotten it, though!

JThursby

Adventurer
I remember him being kind to me at a Gen Con in the early 2000s when I was shy and new. He was on the Bastion Press booth, and as I approached it he said "Hello Russ". I was literally speechless that anybody knew who I was. I probably came across as mumbling idiot to him, but I never forgot that. I'm sure he has forgotten it, though!
What a charming anecdote. I've never met the guy but it sounds like he has the right experience and attitude. And having Lisa Stevens' seal of approval gives me confidence that the games and brands I like from Paizo are going to continue rolling; I can't ever imagine someone who doesn't believe in Pathfinder being given such a recommendation from her.

I remember working with him back in those early years first when he was running WotC's Official Fan Site program (I co-ran the Planescape one) and then doing lots of freelance for Bastion Press over the years. He is a really great guy from my experiences, and I definitely learned a ton about this industry working with him! Even years later, after doing the awkward tracking him down on LinkedIn, he was happy to give me a recommendation for a writing gig I was applying for.

Personally, I have only had great experiences with him over the years, and definitely when I worked with him back then, he was both full of great ideas and willing to listen to and lift up others. Some of the best freelancing experiences I've had were working for Bastion Press.

Definitely makes me even more interested in getting back into Pathfinder and giving Starfinder a try with him at the helm now!

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases