• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder RPG Alpha 3 Now Ready for Download

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Shazman - please don't derail this thread. Take your comments to a new thread.

I'd missed that this came out. I'm looking forward to paging through it at home, especially to see how the bard turned out.

Laurefindel

Legend
I'm disappointed to see that Combat Expertise is still limited by your INT modifier. I am of those who think that the 13 INT prerequisite is already a fair qualifier for the feat.

While high BAB classes can quickly spare a -5 to hit for a +5 to AC (which is a huge bonus, I'll admit), a +1 dodge bonus for a character with 13 INT isn't so attractive either.

I would rather see a -2 to hit/+2 AC flat exchange. This would streamline the feat's mechanic with fighting on the defensive where the ratio is a flat -4 to hit/+2 AC, but Combat Expertise would cut the penalties in two (or evens out the ratio, depending how you want to look at it).

While Power Attack isn't so much an issue, the same principle could be applied to that feat as well, except that the present combat mechanics do not offer the option of "fighting aggressively" for a -4 to hit/+2 damage (which would be transformed to -2 to hit/+2 damage with Power attack).

My two cents on the subject...

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Ashilyn said:
Man, Pathfinder just keeps getting better and better. Paizo has done nothing but impress me so far, and I'm even considering picking up the Beta softcover when it comes out in August. I like it that much, particularly the new Bard and Monk in this version. Seriously great stuff.

Keep the good work up, Paizo. I'm looking forward to this way, way more then I 4E at this point, particularly after having read Keep On The Shadowfell (Still need to play it though).
I am not considering the Beta softcover.

That was a done decision from the first Alpha - I am getting that book. :) Maybe an extra copy as well - as a loaner.

The Auld Grump

Remove ads