• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder RPG Alpha 3 Now Ready for Download

Angellis_ater

First Post
Thanks Aus! It is comments like these that fuel our enthusiasm for writing. When someone else shows enthusiasm for what we're creating, we in turn become more focused and intent on creating more good material!

So, let's all hope for a speedy answer to whether or not Dreamscarred Press will be making any Psionics Handbooks for Pathfinder.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Zuxius said:
Oh yea, buying the paper version is not an option, it is a certainty. Paizo has created the Linux of D&D. D&D for the people by the people.

They give their company the voice it needs to touch everyone, unlike some other company that is shrouded in secrect pacts with lawyers. When everything has to clear NDA, it aint OK.

Zuxius

Let's not to forget that they seem to listen to their fans and make appropriate changes, while that other game company (according to playtesters) seems to ignore any significant complaints and criticisms of 4E. If the comments don't say how awesome the game is, they don't want to hear it.

Voadam

Legend
Wulf Ratbane said:
Actually I was referring to detect secret doors, find traps, and knock.

Knock I use all the time and often get it in wand form as a great utility magic item.

I only ever used detect secret doors when the persistent spell feat was just +3 levels in the FRCS and I was going through the banewarrens, I have never used it since then.

find traps I have never seen used ever, + half caster level to a cleric's base search check is not enough to be useful except in some corner case multiclass builds IMO.

Shazman said:
Let's not to forget that they seem to listen to their fans and make appropriate changes, while that other game company (according to playtesters) seems to ignore any significant complaints and criticisms of 4E. If the comments don't say how awesome the game is, they don't want to hear it.
Interesting. Where was this story made up posted? Or was it just a reading comprehension mistake on your or your sources side?

Nah, don't answer. It just derails the thread. PM would be okay...*

Knock I use all the time and often get it in wand form as a great utility magic item.

I only ever used detect secret doors when the persistent spell feat was just +3 levels in the FRCS and I was going through the banewarrens, I have never used it since then.

find traps I have never seen used ever, + half caster level to a cleric's base search check is not enough to be useful except in some corner case multiclass builds IMO.
Thank's to Admantite Greataxes, Knock rarely saw use in our groups, too. Detect Secret Doors never, and Find the Traps is a joke for any reasonable Cleric build. I suppose using a Wand or Staff might be effective...

Apparently, our group disliked these spells so much that we almost never used them... ;)

*) ah, strike that. My new community supporter account is not working yet...

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Knock rarely saw use in our groups, too. Detect Secret Doors never, and Find the Traps is a joke for any reasonable Cleric build.

Knock was more a scroll thing, but I had players make a wand of detect secret doors on many occasions. They would clear a section of dungeon, then walk the halls with the wand "on" like a secret door revealin' flashlight.

Ok, Find Traps, not so much. I had no idea how badly it had been nerfed. ;)

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Interesting. Where was this story made up posted? Or was it just a reading comprehension mistake on your or your sources side?

Nah, don't answer. It just derails the thread. PM would be okay...*

Thank's to Admantite Greataxes, Knock rarely saw use in our groups, too. Detect Secret Doors never, and Find the Traps is a joke for any reasonable Cleric build. I suppose using a Wand or Staff might be effective...

Apparently, our group disliked these spells so much that we almost never used them... ;)

*) ah, strike that. My new community supporter account is not working yet...

Well, I have seen enough post from playtesters (obvioulsy they couldn't be too specific because the NDA's are only relaxed, and not completely history) that have stated their criticisms have been ignored by WotC. Normally, that wouldn't carry a lot of weight, but that has been WotC's attitude with everything regarding 4E. Their way is the only way, and all criticisms are dismissed, no matter how valid or true they are. I'll stop here since I don't want to threadjack. I think it can be summed up like this. Pathfinder is a game for gamers made by gamers with input by gamers. 4E seems to be a game made by WotC designers to improve their personal homebrew games and bring additional revenue to WotC. There is a big difference in the motives and methodology behind the two games.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Shazman said:
Pathfinder is a game for gamers made by gamers with input by gamers...
... to improve Paizo's settings and bring additional revenue to Paizo. Paizo is not altruistic in this affair; they wish to be profitable like any other business. Methods may be different, and PR certainly has (Paizo has always had great customer relations), but motives are the same: To make a profit.

Voadam

Legend
Wulf Ratbane said:
Knock was more a scroll thing, but I had players make a wand of detect secret doors on many occasions. They would clear a section of dungeon, then walk the halls with the wand "on" like a secret door revealin' flashlight.

Ok, Find Traps, not so much. I had no idea how badly it had been nerfed. ;)

It was even worse in 3.0

Find Traps
Divination
Level: Clr 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: The character
Duration: 1 minute/level
The character can use the Search skill to detect traps just as a rogue can, but gains no special bonus on the Search checks.

In 3.5 they at least added in the +1/2 levels (max +10) bonus to searching for traps in addition to the rogue trapfinding ability.

Find Traps
Divination
Level: Clr 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min./level

You gain intuitive insight into the workings of traps. You can use the Search skill to detect traps just as a rogue can. In addition, you gain an insight bonus equal to one-half your caster level (maximum +10) on Search checks made to find traps while the spell is in effect.

Note that find traps grants no ability to disable the traps that you may find.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
stonegod said:
... to improve Paizo's settings and bring additional revenue to Paizo. Paizo is not altruistic in this affair; they wish to be profitable like any other business. Methods may be different, and PR certainly has (Paizo has always had great customer relations), but motives are the same: To make a profit.

I'm not saying that they are altruistic, but they are definitely including the fans to try to make a game the fans want to play instead of making a game they want to play and "forcing" it on their customers.

joela

First Post
force

Shazman said:
...instead of making a game they want to play and "forcing" it on their customers.

Sigh. Here we go again. No game company is "forcing" consumer to buy their games or adhere to the rules in said game. If you're the DM and don't like the rule, change it. Don't like the game, whether you're the DM or the player, don't play it. Even Paizo has said in its forums that, ultimately, it -- and not fan vote -- will select which rulings will go into the game next year.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads