• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder RPG Alpha 3 Now Ready for Download

Nuclear Platypus

First Post
Kinda wondering if a newer version of at least the Psion and the Psychic Warrior will get added. Preferably one that doesn't require having to take the 5 attack / defense modes every so often. But I'm probably in the minority.

Treebore

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
So then you would disallow retries on skills?

Or would you allow re-rolls and actually make the players sit there and roll until they get a 20?

The only purpose of Take 20 is to hand-wave the process of sitting and rolling until you get a 20. You can't really drop Take 20 without dropping retries, unless you just want to delay your game.

Tell me, were the rules lawyers over on WOTC wrong? Or does "take 20" still mean you automatically find any and all traps, secret doors, and disarm/unlock them? If that was wrong/changed, then I don't hate "take 20".

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Treebore said:
Tell me, were the rules lawyers over on WOTC wrong? Or does "take 20" still mean you automatically find any and all traps, secret doors, and disarm/unlock them? If that was wrong/changed, then I don't hate "take 20".

It means you'll automatically succeed given (a) enough time and (b) enough skill.

Succeed defined as:

(a) pick a lock

(b) find, but not disable, traps

(c) find secret doors

It is a shame these things stop being obstacles by 3rd level.

Angellis_ater

First Post
Nuclear Platypus said:
Kinda wondering if a newer version of at least the Psion and the Psychic Warrior will get added. Preferably one that doesn't require having to take the 5 attack / defense modes every so often. But I'm probably in the minority.

Uhm? What? The Expanded Psionic Handbook did away with the attack/defense modes and turned them into regular powers years ago. You're free of that worry already. The D20SRD offers a nice look into how the 3.5 psionics system works (beautifully if I may add).

But I agree, I am looking forward for a Paizo-sanctioned/sponsored or atleast approved remake of the Psionics system. I wonder who'd be up for that? ;)

Aus_Snow

First Post
Angellis_ater said:
But I agree, I am looking forward for a Paizo-sanctioned/sponsored or atleast approved remake of the Psionics system. I wonder who'd be up for that? ;)
Oh, no. You don't get away with just saying that. :]

Do tell. :)

Angellis_ater

First Post
Oh, no. You don't get away with just saying that.

Do tell. :)

Well, not to "toot my own horn" - Dreamscarred Press HAS been releasing high quality (so say the reviews, not me) all-psionics material for the 3.5 ruleset for the past 2 years and been given extremely high praise for what we've done.

We'd LOVE to work on a Pathfinder Psionics Handbook if Paizo agrees to it, however they've not given us any answers on that point (yet). We are contemplating making a "PPH" under a form of Patronage model, but we're not sure just yet how to implement it.

Arrond Hess

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
It means you'll automatically succeed given (a) enough time and (b) enough skill.

Succeed defined as:

(a) pick a lock

(b) find, but not disable, traps

(c) find secret doors

It is a shame these things stop being obstacles by 3rd level.
Your last comment hit it on the nail in my point of view.
The ability to "take 20" really does bork some of these situations up, as far as providing obstacles for the party to overcome.

I really do miss the old 3.0 mechanic of rolling a 1 or 20. Especially where skills are concerned. Roll a 1, the result gets a -10 penalty to the final result.

Oops... The lock just jammed.
Oops... "Hey.. I think I found the trap over here." ... *click* ... *shunk* ... "Ouch!!! Dammit!!! Yup, I found it" ... *falls to the floor*
Oops... "Nope... no secret door over here. But hey, I DID find my lucky copper piece I thought I lost."

To... rolling a 20 and gaining a +10 bonus to the check.

Hot Dang... "Picked that sucker in record time."
Hot Dang... "Don't worry guys. The trap is rigged to work for us now." *pats self on back*
Hot Dang... "Seek and yeah shall find. Found the door over here AND my lucky copper piece I lost yesturday. Was in my boot the whole time."

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Arrond Hess said:
The ability to "take 20" really does bork some of these situations up, as far as providing obstacles for the party to overcome.

Actually I was referring to detect secret doors, find traps, and knock.

AllisterH

First Post
I was wondering if the effect of the new point buy has troubled other people as well.

Reason why I say this is that they made it slightly more expensive to have a high score but doesn't this *increase* the value of the racial modifiers? You're going to get more "race x is more class b and should never take class z" or am I jumping to conclusions?

The effect on MAD classes also leaves me slightly worried.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Angellis_ater said:
We'd LOVE to work on a Pathfinder Psionics Handbook if Paizo agrees to it, however they've not given us any answers on that point (yet). We are contemplating making a "PPH" under a form of Patronage model, but we're not sure just yet how to implement it.
That's what I was thinking might be the case. Thanks for clarifying further. Hope you do get to go ahead with it, sounds good. I've got a number of your PDFs as it stands, but if Pathfinder was that great in the end, as it might well turn out to be, I'd think about buying some Dreamscarred PF edition psionic stuff.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads