Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Sneak Peeks (Old thread)

Mikaze

First Post
Pathfinder Gnomes: VERY METAL!

Dude, seriously, if you guys ever put together a book that needs an art example for bards and you use a metal/punked up gnome eating his lower lip like he hates it and flipping the bird at the reader a-la that famous Johnny Cash pic, be it the American single or the British double, I'll buy two copies.

(just realized Devin Townsend would be a gnome)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Heh, I am going to kinda miss the races lineup from the Beta - that dwarf looked pretty smug, in a nasty way. He had just done somthin' to somebody....

One of my major planned gaming purchases for this summer.

The Auld Grump

dm4hire

Explorer
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Preview #2
Wednesday, May 20, 2009

***Snip***

Valeros
Male human fighter 14
NG Medium humanoid
Init +5; Senses Perception +13
DEFENSE
AC 28, touch 17, flat-footed 23; (+10 armor, +2 deflection, +5 Dex, +1 shield)
hp 137 (14d10+56)
Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +3 (+7 against fear)
Resist fire 10
OFFENSE
Spd 30 ft.
Melee +3 keen longsword +23/+18/+13 (1d8+13/17–20), +2 frost shortsword +20/+15/+10 (1d6+7 plus 1d6 cold/19–20)
Ranged +1 flaming composite shortbow +20/+15/+10 (1d6+4 plus 1d6 fire/x3)
STATISTICS
Str 16, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 10
Base Atk +14; CMB +17; CMD 34
Feats Combat Expertise, Double Slice, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Weapon Focus (longsword), Greater Weapon Specialization (longsword), Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Vital Strike, Power Attack, Toughness, Two-Weapon Defense, Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Rend, Vital Strike, Weapon Focus (longsword, shortsword), Weapon Specialization (longsword)
Skills Climb +20, Intimidate +17, Perception +13, Ride +22, Swim +20
Languages Common, Halfling
SQ armor training +3, bravery +4, weapon training (heavy blades +3, light blades +2, close +1)
Combat Gear necklace of fireballs (type V), potion of cure serious wounds (3), potion of fly, potion of heroism, rod of flame extinguishing; Other Gear bag of holding (type II), +4 fire resistant light fortification breastplate, +1 flaming composite shortbow (+3 Str), +2 frost short sword, belt of physical perfection +2, boots of levitation, +3 keen longsword, periapt of wound closure, ring of protection +2, ring of the ram

***Snip***

To read the full article that goes along with the fighter preview check out Paizo's Blog

Observations:

Bravery, which appears to be a class ability, adds to PC Will save when saving verses fear.

Combat Maneuver Bonus (CMB) going against Combat Maneuver Defense (CMD)

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
Valeros
Male human fighter 14
NG Medium humanoid
Init +5; Senses Perception +13
DEFENSE
AC 28, touch 17, flat-footed 23; (+10 armor, +2 deflection, +5 Dex, +1 shield)
hp 137 (14d10+56)
Fort +12, Ref +9, Will +3 (+7 against fear)
Resist fire 10
OFFENSE
Spd 30 ft.
Melee +3 keen longsword +23/+18/+13 (1d8+13/17–20), +2 frost shortsword +20/+15/+10 (1d6+7 plus 1d6 cold/19–20)
Ranged +1 flaming composite shortbow +20/+15/+10 (1d6+4 plus 1d6 fire/x3)
STATISTICS
Str 16, Dex 20, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 10
Base Atk +14; CMB +17; CMD 34
Feats Combat Expertise, Double Slice, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Weapon Focus (longsword), Greater Weapon Specialization (longsword), Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Vital Strike, Power Attack, Toughness, Two-Weapon Defense, Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Rend, Vital Strike, Weapon Focus (longsword, shortsword), Weapon Specialization (longsword)
Skills Climb +20, Intimidate +17, Perception +13, Ride +22, Swim +20
Languages Common, Halfling
SQ armor training +3, bravery +4, weapon training (heavy blades +3, light blades +2, close +1)
Combat Gear necklace of fireballs (type V), potion of cure serious wounds (3), potion of fly, potion of heroism, rod of flame extinguishing; Other Gear bag of holding (type II), +4 fire resistant light fortification breastplate, +1 flaming composite shortbow (+3 Str), +2 frost short sword, belt of physical perfection +2, boots of levitation, +3 keen longsword, periapt of wound closure, ring of protection +2, ring of the ram

A level 14 fighter...

Looks like less BIG 6. I see a magic weapon (1), armor (2), and ring (3). Of course, I don't know what a "belt of physical perfection +2" is, but if ends up a "belt of Str +2 with extras", then all this guy is missing in the cloak of resistance. Speaking of which...

WILL +3 Save?!?!?!?! Sigh. Welcome back, Mr. Dominated Fighter. Hope you enjoy beating the crap out of your fellow teammates.

Hmmm. 6 attacks/round and a potential 120 damage (before crits, but the average is like 60), Still, if he's fighting a MM storm giant he easily could take out over 1/3 his hp in one full attack with a few good roles and crits.

Of course, that giant it still going to hit him more often than not (+26/+21/+16 vs AC 28). Similarly, the fighter is going to crack his 27 AC easily on the first (4/7), adequately on second (9/12) and barely on the third (14/17). Ah, flurry of misses! Least we can power attack for maj... oh wait. The giant? Well, when those hits hit (and they will more than the fighters) he's going to do 25-45 damage per hit (before crits) or in one full attack back, he'll bring that 137 hp fighter down between half-hp and and nearly dead. Hows that hp boost working for ya?

Oh, and I was comparing against a CR 13.

So, while the fighter is even more stacked to ginzu through low AC foes before they can pose much of a threat, he's still poor at avoiding a hit (and soaking the damage) and still poor against those mind-magic wielders. Least he won't run in fear though!

Color me a bit more unimpressed. Unless there is something absolutely awesome in those feats I'm missing, he's really not that much better off than our 3.5 fighter.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads