D&D 5E Paths of knowledge

After my Eclipse Phase RPG with all those rules about digital immortality, mind uploading, egos and morphes I thought about if something like this would be possible in D&D, for example the spell "reincarnation". Also I thought about a d20 game with superheroes where characters are too powerful for a normal leveling up.

Then I found the idea of paths of knowledge, working like gestalts characters, an optional rule from "Unearthed Arcana" but the secondary class would be different, a path of knowledge. What is the difference? The unlocking of higher tiers wouldn't be with the standar XPs but with storytelling points, more linked with complete quests and good roleplaying than killing monsters. The second one is there are not more hit-points, nor bonus for attacks or save checks, only some feats and other bonus without links with the fight.

For example a bard with the path of the music unlocking tiers wouldn't be more powerful at all, but she could play more musical instruments, or sing new styles, or her artistic talent will be better. Or the path of the dune trader would give new advantages not linked with the fight, for example contacts with other people or better reputation.

This could allow powerful characters to continue playing not for leveling up but to unlock those tiers, for example to craft item.

Remove ads