Paths of Legend: The Journey

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
OOC: This is a solo adventure for one of my players in Paths of Legend: Azgundi Tournaments. It tells another angle of the story being told there and, as such, contains a great deal of spoilers for the other players in that game. Thus, I strongly encourage all of my players except ethandrew to read no further.

Cut Scene: One Month Ago...

Corath stood at the obelisk. She had stood in the same position for days. Had not moved since Varol's last visit. Most other creatures would have sat, or scratched an itch, or eaten, or slept. Not Corath. She had no need for such things.

Since there were no other creatures around, she didn't bother with her human guise. And thus, she appeared to be an exquisitely carved statue made of precious metals, depicting an elegant and beautiful woman.

While she stood, unmoving, she pondered Varol's words on his last visit. The winged, lion-like Varol had told her that he had found Norali's body, but the Dagger was missing. He now searched for it, but Corath doubted that the lammasu would find it. It didn't want to be found, this much Corath knew from her brief contact with it.

Her thoughts strayed to the staff given to her by Jollithri Tal, the halfling tailor who was more than he seemed. It was hidden among Varol's belongings, in the nearby keep. Jolly had said that it could make her truly alive, a human, instead of the construct she was now. She wasn't ready for that, yet. There was still much she needed to learn and, as a human, she wouldn't be able to maintain her vigil over the shadowstone obelisk.

Quite unexpectedly, a half-elven man stood before her, a handsome man with intense black eyes that seemed to stare straight into her soul, even though Corath didn't know if she really had one or not. She found it odd that she hadn't detected him sooner.

A twinge of emotion, something strange that she hadn't felt before, entered her consciousness...fear. The man held Jolly's staff in one hand, a stunning red ruby in the other. He didn't speak, he didn't move but she felt compelled to move toward him, to touch the gem.

Her mind screamed at her to stop, but she couldn't. Her hand touched the gem and suddenly her consciousness was gone.

A glow emanated from the staff, washing over Corath's body. It shivered as it drew in a ragged breath for the first time, metal replaced with skin. The rapiers that had once been a part of its body clattered to the ground, ignored by the half-elf. The half-elf sneered as he tossed the ruby to the ground near the rapiers.

What was once Corath's body followed along behind the half-elf obediently, alive thanks to the staff, but more of an automaton than before. The half-elf had given it only a modicum of sentience...enough to get it to his mistress for her to take as her own.

After they were gone, the ruby began to glow. Another magic was at work, residual deific magic from the brief time when the Shadow Knight aided William in battling the Serpent Queen, within Corath's mind and spirit. The ruby split in half, each half embedding itself in one of the rapiers. The ruby's glow spread over the blades of the rapiers, magic infusing them. Corath discovered consciousness again, within the rapiers. She could see and hear, but could not move.

Varol returned a few days later and found the rapiers. Weeping at the loss of another friend, he nonetheless took the rapiers and flew west, seeking to deliver them to Corath's former companions, hoping they might find a way to restore Corath to her body.

Today...

The dark eyed, intense half-elven man had told her if she left, she would do so alone. And thus, she did indeed find herself alone, for many days, the fortified walls of Vedlund finally coming into view. Her lack of wilderness skills had caught up to her two days ago. She had run out of food, though she didn't need as much now, and water. She hadn't been sleeping well, suffering from half-remembered nightmares of her father.

The walls were so close, but her body would no longer cooperate. The world became fuzzy and then dark.

She awoke on a bed in a cramped little room, her feet dangling over the end of the bed. A halfling sat nearby, reading from a journal titled "Triumph of Light and Shadow over Darkness." The halfling smiled as he looked at her, "Ah, you're awake, finally. Thought I might lose you there for a little while. How are you feeling?"

Last edited:

ethandrew

First Post
The words woke her up fast, snapping her back into the harsh reality of thirst and hunger, the tightness in her stomach too much to bear, the scratchiness of her throat making the mere task of breathing a painful exercise. She looks at the source of the voice with unfocused eyes, and out of her dry lips she wimpered, "Can I have some water, please? And bread, if you have some to spare."

She clutched the small blanket tighter against her body, cold despite the comfort it offered. She was always cold now but that didn't make it any less manageable. Estelle took her first look around the room, glazing over the halfling at first, instead noting how small everything was, herself, as petite as she was, oversized for this space. The doors, the furniture, all made for halflings.

Finally her eyes rest on the man. She smiles weakly, "Is that any good?" She asks as she makes a quick glance down at the book.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
The halfling fetches a cup and plate from the nearby end-table. The cup contains a steaming tea of some sort that smells bitter, the plate a piece of warm bread.

The halfling sits back down, "Oh, this." He sets down the book on the end-table, "Well, she's a bit better with a sword than she is with a pen, but the facts are mostly accurate, at least. But, we can discuss that some other time, I suppose."

She notes that the halfling's attire is finely made, the clothing of a noble. He starts to light a pipe when he suddenly utters, "Oh, goodness, manners, manners, manners. I am Jollithri Tal. You can call me Jolly, most everyone else does."

ethandrew

First Post
Estelle tentatively takes a sip from the cup, wary of burning her tongue and throat. The bitterness she doesn't mind now, but under normal circumstances she might've made a face or two. The bread she eats up as hurriedly as she can while still maintaining some air of decency. Instantly her stomach is a maelstrom of activity, a few grumbles emit which causes her pale complexion to blush a faint purple.

"My name is Estelle," she states once she's finished with the bread. "I thank you for your hospitality, Jolly, but I must ask how I got here. Last thing I remember was the walls of Vedlund on my horizon." The heat from the tea does little to brighten her complexion, the delicate white of her skin as pale as ever. Her features ease.

She looks at him with a touch of confusion and defeat, "And where is here exactly?"

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Jolly smiles, "Well, I have to confess that I already know who you are. See, I'm Norali Tal's uncle. Well, great uncle...well, ok, I'm kind of the whole Tal clan's uncle, but that's a story for another time."

His face falls for a moment, "Unfortunately, Norali is no longer with us."

He wipes a tear from his eye and then continues, "In answer to your other question, you are in Vedlund, in my humble little summer cottage."

ethandrew

First Post
Estelle's face dropped at the mention of Norali's death. While never quite close with her, she enjoyed the young halfling's company nonetheless. Meekly she asks, "What happened to her, if I can ask? When I left she had that whole issue with the white hair after the quarry." Her eyes focus on nothing, seemingly going back to another lifetime to when she first heard the voice of her father, to the zombie attacks and that black stone. The shattering of it had sent her into a deep sleep and when she woke two of the group were gravely ill and Norali had been stricken white with fear.

Estelle slowly raises her eyes as something finally registers with her, her voice tinged with suspicion and concern, "Wait, how do you know who I am?"

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Jolly sighs, "I hate to sound cryptic and mysterious, but the only answer I can give you is that I know because I'm supposed to know. I'm a just a little bit more than a simple halfling tailor, you see."

As he answers her first question, he hops down from his seat and slides an ornate wooden case out from under the bed, long and slender, with golden filigree inlaid on its surface in arcane patterns.

"Norali left the group shortly after they finally reached Silvergard, after...well, after Sir William returned after leaving you. She took the dagger Johen carried with him for safe keeping, but, like me, that Dagger is far more than it seems. My poor niece couldn't resist it and she..." He wipes away another tear and busies himself with laying the case out so that it's lid faces Estelle.

"I have something for you. Norali isn't the only one of your old companions that's met with misfortune."

He waits for her to open the case.

ethandrew

First Post
"William? You have news of William?" Estelle pushes herself up and turns to face Jolly, her legs easily reaching the floor as they fall off the edge. Her face betrays her anxiety, both for fear and excitement. She takes a deep breath and composes herself, "I suppose there is time soon to hear of all the details, however great or terrible. I'm really sorry for your loss." She leans forward and down, her hair tumbling spilling over her shoulders.

Estelle runs her fingers along the front edge of the intricate box, she looks tentatively up at Jolly before looking back down and opening the lid.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Within the box are a pair of gleaming golden rapiers, beautifully crafted of precious metals. Their beauty aside, they appear to be functional, expertly crafted weapons as well.

Estelle realizes she recognizes these rapiers...they "belonged" to Corath and were a part of her strange, artificially constructed body.

ethandrew

First Post
Looking from the rapiers, to Jolly, and back again, Estelle seems confused, "I...I don't understand. These, these belonged, or were Corath's, but..." she trails off, not finishing her thoughts. Quickly she snaps shut the box.

Her eyes well up and she brushes the tears away with the outside of her finger, "Who else died?" She looks at Jolly, her face sunken, a trail of tears running from her eyes and down.

Remove ads