PATRONS of the MONSTROUS ARTS [Official Thread]

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Do you have a complete list of each monster that is sponsored? Which monsters the the top tiers having crafted?

No complete list quite yet-- but very close.

Again, off the top of my head, custom monsters/NPCs include:

A gnoll bounty hunter
A race of mushroom folk
An intelligent construct
A thought-devouring spider
A half-orc "Crippler"
A race of frog-men
A doppelganger bartender
An ogre-mage emperor and his bodyguard
A cambioness spy

Garnfellow

Explorer
We're still here and working hard - don't worry!

Awesome. I wasn't sure if there was a super-secret patron forum I was missing out on.

And I hear you about the weather here in New England: hard to get anything done that doesn't involve beer, grills, or being outside.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Yeah but you have to get past the 8+ inches of rain and all the flooding first. :eek:
Where I am we missed all the rain (and all the snow earlier). My cross-country skis and snowshoes got hung up the second week of January and never came down again. Last year I was still going strong into the second week of April.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
If you're not watching the Kickstarter project blog for updates-- you should be!

We'll largely confine our previews on Kickstarter to the illustrations themselves, and keep the crunchy stuff over here.

I plan to preview one piece of art every day... Some art commissioned by me, some art commisioned since the kickoff of the patronage project.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Eric Anondson said:
I sure am. Nice lich detail btw! Man, Purdy is one of the most evocative B&W fantasy artists I've seen in a while. What an asset to be able to use!

I have worked with Purdy since Grim Tales (2002) and might even have been the first to introduce him to the d20 community. I am a huge fan, obviously. Purdy could say for sure, but he's always been there for me despite the fact that he now serves a higher-class clientele (with deeper pockets!)

For my money, I'd rather have b/w art anyhow (because it is evocative rather than expositive*).

* new word?

joela

First Post
older stuff

First, want to give congrats to Badaxe for the upcoming Patrons of the Monstrous Arts book. Question: will there be a section discussing converting 3.x to this bestiary?

GlassJaw

Hero
First, want to give congrats to Badaxe for the upcoming Patrons of the Monstrous Arts book. Question: will there be a section discussing converting 3.x to this bestiary?

I'm not planning on it, and I don't think it's that necessary either.

The biggest change for the TB monster book is formatting and layout. I'm hoping people - regardless of the d20 system they play - will be blown away by it and find it very useful.

As far as mechanics go, the biggest changes/additions to the monster stat blocks are Combat Maneuver Bonus and Defense, Combat Reactions, and full attack.

If you don't use CMB/CMD, you can just use the CMB entry for grapple checks. It should be essentially the same in most cases. Simple. And if you don't use Combat Reactions, just ignore that line.

TB changes the number of attacks a creature gets with a full attack. In the TB monster book, the full attack sequence will be listed with an "or": +12 or +10/+10 for example. So the creature can take a single attack at +12 or two at +10.

But remember, a creature only gets additional attacks if they use manufactured weapons so I don't think even this is a big issue.

Hope that helps!

Remove ads