PATRONS of the MONSTROUS ARTS [Official Thread]

I'm glad I saw this project before the end date. Money's a bit tight, so I'm just in it to see what the rest of y'all do, but I wanted to support Wulf and co.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Really pleased that I could put down what I could.

The "We Made It" post/email didn't make it clear where I send my contact info to. Where do I send my info? Did I miss it?

Last edited:

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Regarding the Trailblazer look at monsters.

How much of the work on the monsters will need to keep in mind changes to spells? By that I mean, will there be a change to monsters that foreshadows changed spells in a hypothetical Trailblazer look at spells?

Such as templates and creatures with blasphemy as a spell-like ability, no change with the ability because the spell is getting a makeover later . . .

GlassJaw

Hero
How much of the work on the monsters will need to keep in mind changes to spells? By that I mean, will there be a change to monsters that foreshadows changed spells in a hypothetical Trailblazer look at spells?

Such as templates and creatures with blasphemy as a spell-like ability, no change with the ability because the spell is getting a makeover later . . .

Good question Eric. I've mentioned this Wulf a while back. Ideally, development on spells would be happening in parallel with monsters but that's not really possible because of the pesky thing known as real-life. :p

I've gone through every single creature in the SRD and overall, there should be very limit impact, even if some of the spells do get a significant overhaul.

First off, for creatures with spellcasting ability or spell-like abilities, there's no change at all. They'll use the listed spell, whatever the rules for that spell may be.

It gets a little trickier for creatures that have supernatural abilities that emulate specific spells but with some variation. The aboleth's enslave ability or an angel's protective aura are examples of these.

That said, I think I have a pretty solid handle on which abilities could potentially be affected by a spell rewrite. Moving forward, I think we (Wulf and I) would try to minimize any cascading changes. I'm certainly writing the monster book under that assumption.

GlassJaw

Hero

We're still here and working hard - don't worry!

Wulf and I wanted to post an update (and possible preview) but the past couple of weeks have been kind of nuts. Between the weather up here in the northeast and getting sick, the past week+ was basically a lost cause.

But now I'm back at work and I'm trying to put the finishing touches on all the stat blocks and Wulf has started to mess around with layout. Wulf has been working with some of the patrons on artwork as well.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Wulf has been working with some of the patrons on artwork as well.

Yep, placed the first art order with the illustrator yesterday.

Off the top of my head: Succubus, Ettin, Gnoll, Marilith, Lich, Roper, Dryad, Hydra...

I'm forgetting a couple-- but there's some good stuff in that list that I am eagerly anticipating from Mr. Purdy.

Remove ads