Fats Waller

Billie Holiday

James Brown

Miles Davis

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
2/19 Barry White

Valentine's day was this week and Al Green and Marvin Gaye often get all the buzz. Though, there was one cat that wrote the book on romance with his deep commanding baritone voice. An often overlooked by great composure of orchestral music. Today im sending some love back to the man Barry.

payn

2/20 Leon Bridges

I wanted to get some young blood in here. Leon Bridges is on his way to a long a successful career. He has a smooth voice and music style that leans back to a more jazz influenced era. Although, he is anything but just a neo-soul singer. Enjoy some smooth Sunday tracks by Leon.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not a video or an individual artist, but a Wiki about an offshoot of Nation of Islam that has had a large influence on black history via members who are rappers, DJs, producers, etc. Go to the section about the artists- a lot of them were or are high profile, and had a significant impact on the language and vocabulary of rap.

payn

2/21 Charles "Black Velvet" Bradley

This one also hits home. A fabulous person and outstanding performer. Charles Bradley embodied the essence of soul. Didnt really know fame until later in life, much like Sharon Jones, but was always an optimist and hopeless romantic. I had the pleasure of seeing him several times, and always enjoyed his costume changes during sets. Enjoy a few tracks from Charles including a little storytelling about him covering Black Sabbath!

payn

2/22 Ray Charles

The classic sway and shades will always be iconic for Ray Charles. Even his TV ads are incredible, lol. Enjoy some Tuesday tunes on Ray.

payn

2/23 Janelle Monae

Oh, I really like this one. A very talented new-ish artist that is laying down some great tracks. Many artists eventually do a concept album in the later eyars of their career. Not Janelle, she did one in 2018 and its a blast (I dont normally enjoy concept albums...). She has a nice list of prominent backers including Big Boi and the Purple Yoda himself. Enjoy a few tracks for this Wed fun day.

Remove ads