Payn's Ponderings Black History Month Music Edition

Taste is all very subjective, of course. That said, if we're doing requests, I'd nominate:

O.V. Wright
Robert Johnson
Bill Withers
Nina Simone
John Lee Hooker
The Ohio Players
Cab Calloway
Muddy Waters
Parliament-Funkadelic
Ella Fitzgerald

and Stevie Wonder. And then some more Stevie Wonder.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
2/4 Kendrick Lamar
I really enjoy the 90's jazz influenced style rap and dont mind sample culture. Not so much gansta and especially not the autotune stuff. So hearing Kendrik Lamar was a breath of fresh air. This cat can lay it down, speaking of cats, he also had Thundercat playing bass on his album and thats just next level cool.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Like Ryujin, I have Billie Holiday on my player in the car. Others, such as Lead Belly, Otis Redding, and the Supremes; for sure Motown still is massive. More modern music is diverse, as one doesn't see a segregated music scene, though here is one song, shares the title with what is happening in my Solis setting:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Skin, as I recall, is a Brit. Damn talented though!

Not only is she a powerful vocalist, I saw her judging on the Italian (?) version of one of those talent contest TV shows. There was a contestant in the process of being booted, but instead of simply letting him walk off stage, she stopped him and asked him to sing some more.

And after he did so, like a good vocal coach, she broke down WHY he was voted off and what he needed to do if he wanted to be a professional singer.* It was tough love, but he left with a blueprint for how to improve his singing.

* he absolutely couldn’t hold a note more than a couple seconds without using vibrato, and it negatively affected his ability to stay on pitch. That gave his singing a kind of seasickness-inducing quality.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases