Payn's Ponderings Black History Month Music Edition

Let’s see, which primarily American artists/bands were all-black or with a prominent black contribution can I mention that we haven’t really hit on yet?

Jimi Hendrix.....

Just want to say, Hendrix is someone, that anyone with interest in rock or heavy metal (and other music as well of course) should listen to and learn the importance of. I think because he is so associated with the 60s, people that cut their teeth on the music that was influenced by him, don't always develop a full appreciation for his significance. He is one of those dividing lines when it comes to guitar history. There is guitar prior to Hendrix and guitar after him (similar to how there is guitar before Eddie Van Halen and after). And so many guitarists were influenced by him. My favorite player has long been Dave Murray from Iron Maiden and he frequently mentions, in very specific ways, how Hendrix influenced his playing.

For me, the thing I always took from Hendrix was the way he blended melodies and chords. In a song like Little Wing for example.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
That last one is a good song by a great talent, @dragoner , but could you maybe replace it with one of Mayfield’s more grandma-friendly tunes?
I took it out, I suppose you mean the intro? Yes, it should make people uncomfortable, people using words like that made me uncomfortable when we moved to the US, Texas, and I was not off the plane minutes before hearing it, and for years later, hearing words like that used as a nouns, verb, and adjectives ... mind that where I came from, words like that were illegal.

Remove ads