Payn's Ponderings Black History Month Music Edition

Ryujin

Legend
2/23 Janelle Monae

Oh, I really like this one. A very talented new-ish artist that is laying down some great tracks. Many artists eventually do a concept album in the later eyars of their career. Not Janelle, she did one in 2018 and its a blast (I dont normally enjoy concept albums...). She has a nice list of prominent backers including Big Boi and the Purple Yoda himself. Enjoy a few tracks for this Wed fun day.

She's done cameo performances in some SciFi shows, too, but her IMDB doesn't seem to list them. They only list the actual characters that she's played.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I First saw her on Later…with Jools Holland. My first impression of her performance was that she was a young, female version of James Brown. Her energy, her moves, her choreography.

And I still think that today, I mean that’s not ALL she is, but it’s a core part of her act, and it shows.

Ryujin

Legend
I First saw her on Later…with Jools Holland. My first impression of her performance was that she was a young, female version of James Brown. Her energy, her moves, her choreography.

And I still think that today, I mean that’s not ALL she is, but it’s a core part of her act, and it shows.
Back when we had a halfway decent science fiction channel up here, with a daily genre news programme, I saw her interviewed a few times. She takes a lot of her inspiration from SF.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Back when we had a halfway decent science fiction channel up here, with a daily genre news programme, I saw her interviewed a few times. She takes a lot of her inspiration from SF.
Indeed! In many ways, her concept album was a funky version of Mr. Roboto, with some Blade Runner, etc. thrown in,

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Monae also has mentioned being pansexual and I believe incorporates some of that into her music. She just screams confidence which reminds me very much of artists like Prince and is trailblazing like Bowie. Good company to be in comparison.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Monae also has mentioned being pansexual and I believe incorporates some of that into her music. She just screams confidence which reminds me very much of artists like Prince and is trailblazing like Bowie. Good company to be in comparison.
I would not be surprised to hear her say those two- especially Bowie- were major inspirations for her.

payn

2/24 Marvin Gaye

Thirsty Thursday with Marvin Gaye. Gaye added to the social commentary in the likes of Sam Cooke and James Brown. Saddened by the violence and poverty. He also gave folks great tracks for getting down. This Thursday lets get it on.

payn

2/25 Anderson Paak

Lets get Friday going and start this weekend early. Anderson Paak has quickly became my favorite hip hop artist. (Loved seeing him on the drum kit during super bowl!). A new generation with a familiar story. Got his start producing in his own bedroom and playing drums for his local church on Sunday. Now, Paak is getting all the best features like Kendrick Lamar and even an entire album with Bruno Mars. If you aint heard of Paak yet, you will soon.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Back in the 1990s, I saw a show at a club in Austin: Eye & I, Bodycount and Ice T. One of the most memorable concerts I’ve been to. Eye & I opened, but there were a few diehard Ice-T “Stans” in the crowd right in front of the stage who kept shouting “Ice-T! Ice-T! Ice-T!” between tunes. A couple songs in, their lead singer- a petite li’l woman- had had enough. After they finished a song and the “Stans” began chanting, she leaned over and eloquently cursed their asses out. After the applause died down a little, they continued their set.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases