PbP DM techniques...

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Well, that's a point, but on the other hand if you're going in strict Init order, the same person always goes last anyway. I guess it's a problem if your character concept is that you're a fast sneaky guy with +17 Init, and you're always going last...

As long as you go before the bad guys on the first turn, it's all good.

Beside, it's just not true that the transatlantic guy will always go last. Whenever the DM post very late, he is more likely to post first.

ryryguy

First Post
I had another question, about skill use.

I've noticed that DM's will often post information for a knowledge skill in a block with a required score, like this:

[sblock=Arcana 20]The staff has a powerful enchantment placed on it.[/sblock]

Is this generally meant as a target for a passive skill score, or an invitation for players to make a skill check?

How about cases where a player might not be aware a skill check is called for - do you ever post blocks like this?

[sblock=Perception 20]There is an ogre hiding in the bushes.[/sblock]

[sblock=Insight 20]The merchant is lying.[/sblock]

Of course if these are targets for passive skills, the DM knows whether any PC's hit the target and can just not post the blocks in the first place. But if you want active checks, do you ask for them first?

I suppose some of these issues aren't specific to PbP games and are just a question of DM style... just wondering if anyone thinks there are PbP concerns regarding timing and so forth, where you don't want to slow the progress waiting for everyone to roll Insight checks.

renau1g

First Post
I take it as an invitation for a roll. Remember that during combat Perception requires a minor action...so it offers a choice.

renau1g

First Post
Most of the time with active skill checks not during an enxounter or skill challenge I will roll them (it saves at least 1 day or so in posting), the sblock the relevant info the the successful players, linking back to IC.

[sblock=ryryguy]
Psstt, Ingot, go kill those bad guys.
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
When I do that, I mean it as an invitation to make a skill check. For passive skills, I address the sblock just to the appropriate PC, thus:

[sblock=Tander]Palindrome is a booger[/sblock]

I've seen this construct used, too:

[sblock=passive perception 15]Your shoes are untied[/sblock]

Which I think is reasonable, and could see myself using if the situation called for it.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I tend to use those for things which just offer extra flavour or minor help (like Monster Knowledge checks), or if I know that at least one character will easily pass but I want to give the others a chance to roll too (so the only difference is whether they all read it or one character relays the important information in-character). Basically, if I don't REALLY care whether the players cheat and peek at it (meaning I don't REALLY care whether they interpret it as passive or roll it).

If it's something important, I'll roll it myself and post the block with the name of the character who passed (if I want to keep things moving), or ask for rolls if I'm waiting for other input from the players anyway.

ryryguy

First Post
Ok, suppose you decide to roll it yourself, maybe an Insight check to tell someone is lying. The character fails, so you post nothing. Then, the player posts "I want to make an Insight check to see if he is lying!" along with a successful roll.

Do you just ignore your secret check result then? I'd think so...

Remove ads