• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PbP friendly systems.

Oni

First Post
I've recently gotten into PbP and enjoy the format, but it seems that combat can be pretty clunky.

Some issues that stand out to me are:

Initiative order: Having to wait for person in particular to declare an action before other players can declare theirs because changing the situation. Sometimes you can say if this, then this, but it gets hard to see all the possible outcomes. It seems like something where actions are declared ahead of time (rather than resolving as you go) but where everything occurs more or less close enough the same time that order of response doesn't really matter would be best.

Reactive actions: The more actions that can be taken in response to something else the more potential for slowdown. I realized this after thinking about a feylock for a PbP, any time something cursed died you'd have to wait on that player to see what they're doing to proceed properly. Any kind of reactive def that can only be applied a limited number of times will be a headache as well. The solution seems simple enough, no reactive actions.

Combat length: Combat is the slowest part of a PbP so the longer any given combat is the more the pace of the game will be slowed. The resolution seems simple enough, less rounds need to resolve combats the better.

Anyway I'm sure that I've missed some things, but I was wondering what game systems out there lend themselves particularly well to PbP in that you can still avoid a lot of the issues that can bog down the pace.

TheWyrd

First Post
The best option I've seen for this is to have all players post in terms of what they're "trying" to do simultaneously for the round. After all characters have decided, the GM makes a resolution post to determine what happens in the end. If there is 'initiative' then it is handled by the GM to determine order of precedence. Generally in a situation like this, the players are best served with contingency actions. "I'm going to try to grab the Crystal of Doom from the podium, but if one of the goblins gets there first I'll take them down. If one of my allies gets there first I'll play defense trying to block any attacks against him."

S'mon

Legend
Simpler systems like Classic/Red Box D&D (or Labyrinth Lord), Castles & Crusades, and such work much better than more complex ones like 3e.

Voadam

Legend
I've recently gotten into PbP and enjoy the format, but it seems that combat can be pretty clunky.

Some issues that stand out to me are:

Initiative order: Having to wait for person in particular to declare an action before other players can declare theirs because changing the situation. Sometimes you can say if this, then this, but it gets hard to see all the possible outcomes. It seems like something where actions are declared ahead of time (rather than resolving as you go) but where everything occurs more or less close enough the same time that order of response doesn't really matter would be best.

AD&D style initiative, everybody announces actions for the round then rolls initiative and DM resolves.

Can be applied to most RPGs with no problem, including 3e.

Reactive actions: The more actions that can be taken in response to something else the more potential for slowdown. I realized this after thinking about a feylock for a PbP, any time something cursed died you'd have to wait on that player to see what they're doing to proceed properly. Any kind of reactive def that can only be applied a limited number of times will be a headache as well. The solution seems simple enough, no reactive actions.

In 3e there are 1/round AoOs, which I generally resolve with assuming PCs take them at first opportunity against foes when in combat and use normal attacks as a default unless they have made ahead of time provisions otherwise. Only when it is not clear if the PC considers them a foe do I ask if they take it. As DM I make these automatic reaction rolls to keep the game flowing quick.

There is also those type of actions like the elan damage negation ability that can be activated in response to a situation, but those are not numerous or common.

IME few nonautomatic reactive actions come up in the 3e games I've run.

GURPS and palladium have parry and dodge reaction options but the optimal choice is usually obvious and can be assumed.

Combat length: Combat is the slowest part of a PbP so the longer any given combat is the more the pace of the game will be slowed. The resolution seems simple enough, less rounds need to resolve combats the better.

3e generally resolves quick for number of rounds but each round is complicated. Basic D&D generally has few rounds that are straightforward.

Anyway I'm sure that I've missed some things, but I was wondering what game systems out there lend themselves particularly well to PbP in that you can still avoid a lot of the issues that can bog down the pace.

I've only done 3e ones but I expect Basic/Expert D&D would work well.

PBP allows long time in between posted actions so it can handle complicated systems well. The sticking point is how much the system requires PC/DM interaction decision making to resolve actions. Most people IME post about once a day so that number of posts is the sticking point. If the system requires going back and forth to handle multiple PC options to resolve a round then it will slow combats down significantly, regardless of how complicated mechanically the system works to resolve an action.

For example cleric turning in 3e requires a d20 roll with its own chart to find a modifier to a second roll that affects might or might not affect undead either of two ways based on their hit dice and positioning. This is mechanically complicated but is resolved by two simple pbp posts, the PC declaring his action and the DM describing the effect after offscreen resolving it. The other players can then follow up with their actions.

If it was just one straight mechanically simple die roll for the cleric turning but the undead had an optional power to counter it at the cost of a few hp which in turn the PC could negate by using a hero point this could require four posts before other characters can go.

An example of this in core 3e would be using a nonstandard attack in an AoO which provokes its own AoO.

Cobblestone

First Post
PbP with 4e

We've been doing a play-by-blog with 4e for about a month now (minus Christmas break), and so far it's working extremely well. We use the following house-rules to address some of your concerns:

• Initiative: first come, first served. Heroes first, then bad-guys, unless there is a surprise round. Rinse, repeat.
  • Opportunity Attacks: should be declared and rolled ahead of time, and included with your post. i.e. if the goblin in front of me moves, I hit him with my sword (Opportunity attack against the goblin (1d20+7=20, 1d8+4=8)), and if the minotaur comes over I hit him as well (Opportunity Attack against the minotaur (1d20+7=9, 1d8+4=11)). Or if you'd rather, you can simply roll an Opportunity attack for each opponent in the fray, and as each one comes withing range, I'll simply go down the list to apply the affects.
  • Experience: Experience is awarded for achieving personal goals (little bits) and group goals (big bits). Personal goals should be listed in your character's background. Group goals will hopefully be self-evident, but if needed, will be posted in the left margin.
  • Missing turns: If you can, try to check back once a week-day. If your turn comes up and we haven't heard from you in a day's time, you'll get NPC'ed for that round.
I think overall, any system could work, though I find task-resolution systems better than conflict-resolution systems because they require less back-and-forth to determine the results of an action.

Hope that helps.

Peace,

C-Stone

Oni

First Post
What about systems other than dnd.

Bonus points for simplicity, not needing to alter it, and being kind of generic.

kobold

First Post
My usual answer to a PbP question is Fudge or HeroQuest. I've used both succesfully for PbP in the past. Both are simple single roll resolution systems.
But I just re- read In a Wicked Age, and really want to try this on a PbP.

Remove ads