D&D 5E PC Exceptionalism

Fauchard1520

Adventurer
Consider the humble monk. Here's a class that puts in time, discipline, and strenuous martial training to earn his fantasy super power. Ki and stunning strike and elemental disciplines set him apart from common folk, and make him something extraordinary within the fiction of the game world. When the product of your life’s worth of kung-fu montages looks like a cantrip though, it’s awfully easy to get discouraged. In my experience, it takes a group effort to make the world feel as magical as it does in your head.

So here's my question to the board. In a world filled with exceptional people -- where you're mostly interacting with other powerful beings -- what can a GM or other players do to help one another remember that their characters actually are special? How do you maintain that basic power fantasy when it seems the whole world is already in your league?

(Comic for illustrative purposes.)

aco175

Legend
At a certain point, the PCs are more exceptional than most people in the world. It could be argued that at level 1, or 3, or 5. At some point they become better than most in the most places. By 5th level there is few in a town that can challenge them, by 10th it may be a city. The pyramid gets small at the top.

Comparing to real world, I was in the Army and have training in things like shooting and such. Do I consider myself more exceptional than other people I meet. Maybe in certain skills, but they guy that grew up on the street and learned to pick pockets and open locks is better than me at that, or the guy with a black belt that trained since early age is certainly better than at that. As you gain levels, you gain other powers that narrows the competition.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Have more interactions and/or combats against lower CR creatures.

Sometimes 5th level characters can still engage a band of goblins or deal with a couple hungry wolves. And when it becomes an exceedingly easy encounter, it reminds players of how much harder it was when they were younger and thus how far they actually have come.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Consider the humble monk. Here's a class that puts in time, discipline, and strenuous martial training to earn his fantasy super power. Ki and stunning strike and elemental disciplines set him apart from common folk, and make him something extraordinary within the fiction of the game world. When the product of your life’s worth of kung-fu montages looks like a cantrip though, it’s awfully easy to get discouraged. In my experience, it takes a group effort to make the world feel as magical as it does in your head.
Others have already covered the "just because you aren't the MOST exceptional, doesn't mean you aren't still exceptional." Like, this is...a bit like looking at Star Trek and assuming that the Federation is 80% Starfleet officers, simply because those make up 80% of the people we see. We look at a subset of the world that is especially interesting. While I can grant that theme and tone are a cooperative effort, forgetting that you're only looking at a slim, and VERY selectively high-powered, slice of the world's people is the more fundamental error here.

So here's my question to the board. In a world filled with exceptional people -- where you're mostly interacting with other powerful beings -- what can a GM or other players do to help one another remember that their characters actually are special? How do you maintain that basic power fantasy when it seems the whole world is already in your league?

Well, firstly? Either don't be rude (and yes, I would call that other player's behavior rude), or accept that people may interrupt you sometimes when you're on a roll and "ruin the moment." If a player had said that to me--instead of, as noted, responding even with an in-character "there's no need to get upset" or the like--I would have been legitimately angry at them IRL. I can't say that I would necessarily have said something (I tend to quail in the face of social disapproval) but I would probably complain to the DM privately because, holy crap man, that was rude.

Secondly, always have a Session 0 (and preferably some chatter before session 0) where you talk about the kind of tone you're looking for in a game, whether you're the DM or one of the players. Perhaps the person who made that comic is looking for a high-drama or even "melodrama" kind of game, where flowery descriptions accompanying a cantrip are appropriate when it's a high-tension situation, while a low-tension one might not give more than a single sentence even for a powerful spell. Conversely, maybe that other player is looking for a more "serious" sort of thing, where a cantrip is understood to be a pretty minor demonstration of magic and the dramatics are saved for the times when you're bending reality, not for when emotions are riding high per se. Talking these things out can make a world of difference for ensuring everyone is supporting each person in having a good time.

Thirdly, the DM really should be including a spectrum of situations and encounters. Even in 4e, the edition that gets mocked for having Elder Scrolls-style "the world levels with you" mechanics, explicitly told DMs to include encounters that are both above and below the party's weight. And it doesn't just stop with encounters, either. Have the occasional "milk run," as Shadowrun puts it. Include NPCs who simply can't do the kinds of things the PCs do, despite being talented in their own way.* Have the party interface with powerful figures they have to watch their step around, and weaker figures they can oppose or protect (or bully, if that's more their speed, I guess). Take situations the party has mastered, and find ways to expand them, so they can see how they ARE succeeding at the big-picture stuff, but now have NEW concerns on top of the old ones.**

*Just had an example of this last night. Players were talking about whether they'd share certain secrets with an allied wizard NPC. One player said, "Oh, I'm sure she'd figure it all out in a heartbeat [if we just show her part of it]." I reminded them that this NPC, despite being a wizard, is NOT an adventurer, and that she's far too prudent to go wandering off into the wilderness to find more info on her own without their help.

**E.g.: Dungeon World has a special move, Undertake a Perilous Journey. These can be consequence-heavy, so early on they were high tension; now, at high level, they're pretty routine. So I added a new, fourth role (beyond Scout, Trailblazer, and Quartermaster): Intelligencer, concealing the party's route to throw off would-be trackers or tracing efforts. This expanded the move to a higher-level, emergent goal: before, the party only cared about getting there, but now (with many secrets of their own) they care about controlling information as well.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
The PCs start in a village. Or a town. Or they're en route to a village or town. In this town, there are people. These people may be laborers or tradesfolk or even nobility. They have lives.

But they don't have levels. They are, for all practical purposes, Level 0.

The PCs are Level 1.

Why is this?

Because outside of that village or town, there are monsters. There are goblins. There are orcs. There are ankhegs and dragons and bandits and hags and manticores and owlbears and an infinite number of other things that have statblocks. And these things with statblocks will kill the Level 0 folk. And the Level 0 folk know this.

So the Level 0 folk stay in the villages and towns.

What makes the PCs special?

They DON'T stay in the villages and towns. They go out. They adventure. They have a level. And that level - even if it's just one level - let's them have a fighting chance against something with a statblock.

If the PCs weren't exceptional, they wouldn't be adventurers. They'd be NPCs and they'd be Level 0. More often than not, the players know this, even if it's only subconsciously. This piece of meta helps bind D&D together.

This is different from the PCs being underdogs. Which is also a trope that binds the game together. The PCs are exceptional. They have names and titles and classes and abilities and scores and modifiers. But that doesn't mean that the encounters are foregone conclusions. The Avengers are exceptional. But when they fight against Thanos, wielding the Infinity Gauntlet and backed up by the forces of evil and destruction, they are underdogs. Both can be true.

Which brings us to the how. How do you have the PCs be exceptional underdogs? In the case of the Avengers (and the Fellowship and the Rebellion and the Justice League), with bosses and mooks and setbacks and a BBEG who seems to always be one step ahead of the good guys.

Think of the tropes:

The villain who plans to get caught (Loki). The villain who answers to an even bigger bad (Vader). The villain who usurps his former boss (Ronin the Accuser). The villain looking to free an ancient evil (Rasputin from Hellboy). The secret cult of killers that is everywhere that no one else knows about (The League of Shadows, every other person in New York in the John Wick movies). The infinite army that can't be stopped but also can't ever hit the heroes (the Empire). The Tank Lieutenant (Karl from Die Hard). The ever-escalating series of Tank Lieutenants (Lord of the Rings). The evil elite team (the Legion of Doom, HIVE, the Sinister Six, the Black Order).

The PCs can go up against any of these. Because they're exceptional, they'll have a chance. Because they're the underdog, failure is an option.

overgeeked

B/X Known World

The top thing for me: don’t frame missed rolls or natural 1s as incompetence. This utterly destroys the illusion and turns the power fantasy into bumbling slapstick.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
This line of thought is strange to me. My characters always felt special because they were average David's facing off against Goliaths. Most folks in the setting dont do it because its dangerous and requires a combination of selflessness and insanity. The fact that they stare danger int he face and survive is what makes them special. Not because they can magic kick their enemies.

Remove ads