PC Goblins for D&D 5E

Illithidbix

Explorer
Overall I really like what you've done.
Particularly I liked that "Nimble" step *isn't* a copypasta of the "Nimble Escape" from the MM, which means Goblin Rogues synergies with Cunning Action rather than their racial ability being made redudant by it.

My only mild criticism is of:
Sneaky: You have advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) rolls.

I would instead have it as "You are proficient in the Stealth skill".
This would bring it in line with Elves' "Keen Senses", Half Orcs "Intimidating" and Goliath's "Natural Athlete".

In the playtest elves had Advantage on Perception checks and Half Orcs had advantage on Intimidation checks. This was changed to proficiency when 5E was released and I think I can fathom why:
Having advantage encourages players to sink a skill slot into being super competent at something they are already good at to get maximum benefit, at which point other races can't compete with them.

By giving stealth proficiency and +2 Dex, it means that goblins will make excellent rogues, rangers and similar sneaky types but not to the point where they are flat out better than any one else trying to be sneaky. They instead have a skill they can choose to assign somewhere else, confident in the knowledge they are effortless sneaky by virtue of being a goblin!

I will concur that it will make goblins slightly less sneaky than Lightfoot halfings with Naturally Stealthy and Wood Elves with Mask of the Wild who choose to be proficient in stealth, but not sure this is so much a problem.
For a start halfings don't have dark vision, elves are bigger and Dash+Nimble Step means that Goblins are in the best position to escape when sneaking goes wrong.

Last edited:

Remove ads